Silver Member
    Tractor
    B7510 with R4s

Default Storage Shed Rat Wall?

I am going to put up a 12 X 20 Building to house my tractor and some other stuff. I finally found a ready made shed with a high enough door. Anyway I can get the concrete cheap enough ($500) for just a slab. Do I need a rat wall (18" recommended)? I am not sure if this size shed will be susceptible if critters burrough under it. We do have chipmunks and other burroughing critters in the area. I am probably going to be selling the property in a couple of years. Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

Default Re: Storage Shed Rat Wall?

Gus, I think I live near you and all I can say is that I have a pole barn (24x40) on a slab and all kinds of critters dig under it. I also have a shed that just has a wood floor. Nothing has ever dug under it. Go figure.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B7510 with R4s

Has the slab survived? No settling or cracking? How long has it been up? These are my concerns. I also would like to do it without a permit. Although I have heard that my township (Addison) wants a permit for anything larger than 10' X 10'. That is ridiculously small for a rural area.

concrete allmost allways cracks when the slab is larger than 10 X 10 unless it's re-enforced. Make sure it's on virgin, packed soil, some gravel underneath for drainage and wire screen for re-enforcement.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Gus, here's what I would do - pour an Alaskan slab, the perimeter s/b 24" wide and 12" deep, and the slab floor is 4" - 6" deep, (code up here is 6 inch floor, which is overkill for a shed).

The profile will look like an upside down box:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

My slab is about three years old and it has not settled or cracked. The cement contractor compacted the soil and really put alot of effort into doing a nice job. The critters digging under my slab seem to be mice and voles. These creatures don't dig large enough burrows to create any cracking or settling yet. I hope. I am in Lapeer county.