hire or rent a portable saw mill

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #1  

bruiserx2

Silver Member
Tractor
BX24 and JD X320
I am looking to have some oak trees rough cut. Boards and posts Any suggestions on how to locate someone with a portable saw mill in CT?

I also posted in the Northeast discussion board.

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #2  
Craigslist, or some arborist sites..??

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #3  
arborsite.com is a method. Or contact a sawmill dealer and see if they have any customer contacts or refferals.

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #4  
ForestryForum.com will ive you some good help too.

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #6  
I am looking to have some oak trees rough cut. Boards and posts Any suggestions on how to locate someone with a portable saw mill in CT?

I also posted in the Northeast discussion board.
Both sites mentioned are good.
Forestry forum http://www.forestryforum.com/index.php is where I go for mill info, Arboritsite http://www.arboristsite.com/index.php for chainsaw info
Things to prepare:
How many trees?
Whats the size (diameter at breast height)?
How good is the access?
What size of lumber are you looking for?

good luck

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #7  
The Providence RI craigslist has guys with sawmills advertizing all the time. Going rate seems to be about 25c/board foot.

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #8  
Hire it done. Knowing what you're doing is a big part of the sawing. The fella who cut up my logs would look at the log and say, "We'll get 2 by whatever from this, or 1 by....

At times I had no clue what he was doing then a final cut there's a stack of 2X4s...

Experience, matters!

/ hire or rent a portable saw mill #9  
Hire or rent a portable sawmill

1st off not sure where you'd rent 1???
2nd unless you know what your doing you'd be wasteing time and money. Sawmills can be tricky especailly with different types of wood. One oak tree may cut great while another may curve like a back road. It takes time to learn how to make good useable wood. Try putting an add into craigs list, folks around here do it quite a bit. Also go to "the forestry forum" there are lots of knowledgeable people on the site. The forum proabably even has someone in your area that can help. If you can find someone with a band mill{alaskin mills are good for persanal use but waste a lot of lumber}.