The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,001  
I'm looking forward to seeing how you put it all together. I love working with cedar logs. Shaping them, sanding them and making them pretty while leaving them natural is extremly satisfying.

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,002  
How did you cut that notch??

Chainsaw??

Yep

I got the 31 footer all water peeled and dragged it up to the house:
CedarRailing002-1.jpg

I am guessing it weighed around 500 lbs. I got it over on the porch using part tractor and mostly muscle a few inches at a time. I had it up on the sawhorses and had cut the two notches over the center posts. The double whip it had made it hard to manage....it did not want to stand the way I was installing it. Then, while I was at one end, it started to roll, and before I could get to the middle to stop it, the forked end went off the sawhorse and hit the deck...splitting the center:thumbdown:
I tried to salvage it by gluing and clamping, but it didn't work, so I cut the two ends off and used them:
CedarRailing007-1.jpg

CedarRailing008-1.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,003  
That sucks :( I'm sorry it broke after you did all that work

#1,004  
So this is where I was, with the posts and the blow down posts in:
CedarRailing003-1.jpg

I cut a square peg on one end and a square hole on the post:
CedarRailing010.jpg

CedarRailing011.jpg

#1,005  
First joint done:
CedarRailing013.jpg

The other(forked) side was done a little different:
CedarRailing029.jpg

Then I put in the North side rail:
CedarRailing022.jpg

#1,006  
{yes, Lesley was shooting "action shots"}

CedarRailing032.jpg

I still need to find the center railing....more foraging int he woods tomorrow.

Robert, yeah, it did suck, but I have to admit...that thing was a bear to move around. I'm not sure I could have made accurate notches in it since it would not stay in the position I needed....so maybe it's a good thing in the long run.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,007  
:thumbsup: So, where are the carved cup-holders going to go on that cedar top rail? :D:D:D

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,008  
M7, that railing is beautiful. Nice work on the joints, too. It's another great addition to your home.

I had never thought of using my power washer to clean up logs. I'm getting ready to build a ranch gate and the logs could use a good cleaning, as I didn't stain them as soon as I should have. May have to try it out.

#1,009  
Kent, I do have some "ideas" for beer parking.

GGB, try it, you will be amazed. However, a green log won't peel well with water, but one that has dried out peels well.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,010  
I like the rustic look but...the cedar root balls are a little avante-garde for me. Its hard to tell if I really like it or not without seeing a picture of the whole railing job. (visual context):) Most of the pictures are with them in the foreground and they may not be as large as they look. Bottom line...it really doesn't matter if I like it or not. You are the only one it has to please. ( and the Mrs of course ). One thing is certain. You will most surely cause a stir amongst the fine arts crowd. I would submit a picture to Fine Home Building when you are done.

The joinery is real nice. :thumbsup:

Are you going to put any type of finish on the cedar railing?