The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,031  
   / The Log house Project begins........ #1,032  
No, I guess I can use SS screws...eh?

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,033  
Do you have one of the mortising tools for making rustic furniture? If not might be a good "reason" to get one, think of all deck furniture you could make too.
Tnmike in college we made a few weathervaines. We used clay to design it and then split it down the middle. After putting in all the detail we wanted. Then we made a mold out of plaster of paris, and then cleaned up the mold. After the mold was clean and dried we coated it with murphys oil soap and then poured in hydrostone (Plaster.com - HYDRO-STONE? - One of the hardest and strongest of all gypsum cements). Once the hyrostone was dried it was strong(Dry Strength - 10,000 psi Dry Impact Strength - 1,320) we would then put in thin copper flashing/sheets and using pine dowels in various shapes chase the image into the copper sheet. Almost like Repoussé. I will have to check out that book it also looks interesting.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,035  
Nice!! I really like that design. I have one of the older pencil sharpener looking ones.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,036  
Re: your porch railing. I love the look, but as other posters have stated, you must have smaller openings so as to not allow a four-inch sphere to pass through. Yep, we're talking about little (unattended) Johnny or Janie's head here. Building permits and inspectors aside, some child has an accident and you're on the hook big time. Sadly, this is the world we live in.:(

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,037  
I don't want to beat it to death, but.....look at the average infant head size on this chart:
Baby Infant Growth Chart Calculator - Head Circumference Age Percentile Graph

Now you have to convert circumference to diameter which still puts a 4" sphere at around 6 months of age. So, again why is in incumbent upon any builder or homeowner to take responsibility for a irresponsible parent who can't supervise a child under ONE YER OLD? Next code will be a safety net out there below the rail in case a child climbs the rail and falls off? Who comes up with these ridiculous "codes"? And why do "we" allow them? As you can tell I had enough of stupid codes in Florida that did zero except line someones pocket...not mine. I don't care how many straps or screws or nails you put in a roof truss, or how many roofing nails per square inch.....any sustained wind of 180mph is blowing them off. Sorry, but if I chose to live in a '52 Bluebird School Bus turned upside down on my own property, I really don't think it's anyone else's business. Ok,.......rant off:laughing:

That being said, I'm building my railing as safe as it needs to be, and I am confident it will endanger no one.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,038  
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sorry, but if I chose to live in a '52 Bluebird School Bus turned upside down on my own property, I really don't think it's anyone else's business. Ok,.......rant off

That being said, I'm building my railing as safe as it needs to be, and I am confident it will endanger no one.

I am with you all the way !!!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,040  
I don't want to beat it to death, but.....look at the average infant head size on this chart:
Baby Infant Growth Chart Calculator - Head Circumference Age Percentile Graph

Now you have to convert circumference to diameter which still puts a 4" sphere at around 6 months of age. So, again why is in incumbent upon any builder or homeowner to take responsibility for a irresponsible parent who can't supervise a child under ONE YER OLD? Next code will be a safety net out there below the rail in case a child climbs the rail and falls off? Who comes up with these ridiculous "codes"? And why do "we" allow them? As you can tell I had enough of stupid codes in Florida that did zero except line someones pocket...not mine. I don't care how many straps or screws or nails you put in a roof truss, or how many roofing nails per square inch.....any sustained wind of 180mph is blowing them off. Sorry, but if I chose to live in a '52 Bluebird School Bus turned upside down on my own property, I really don't think it's anyone else's business. Ok,.......rant off:laughing:

I agree 100% with what you say, but I'm just explaining what may happen.