The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,121  
Brandi, that just ain't right.....having a floor all done and trimmed out before mine is finished and my knees still ache:smiley_aafz:. Nice job though!

Pacer, no solid aquifer here, lots of limestone caverns and underground streams. Average well depth here is around 2-300'. It is a crap shoot and I have seen them dug to 900. We try and figure $5-8K for a complete well and a septic installed is $2300.

Wood, $300 a sq ft...Holeey crap. Here turn key is $100-120.....so when are you buying land in East Tennessee?:laughing:

#1,122  
Oh, and main floor is done. I stood around after getting it finished yesterday staring at the loft...thinking: "up and down a ladder a hundred times to get that floor up there layed...hmmm, nope I'm headed to the creek for a swim and some
smiley_emoticons_prost2.gif
"

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,123  
Brandi, that just ain't right.....having a floor all done and trimmed out before mine is finished and my knees still ache:smiley_aafz:. Nice job though!

Pacer, no solid aquifer here, lots of limestone caverns and underground streams. Average well depth here is around 2-300'. It is a crap shoot and I have seen them dug to 900. We try and figure $5-8K for a complete well and a septic installed is $2300.

Wood, $300 a sq ft...Holeey crap. Here turn key is $100-120.....so when are you buying land in East Tennessee?:laughing:

We built our house 7 yrs. ago and the well company charged us $4,000.00 for a drilled well and they guaranteed water for that price but would only guarantee 2 gallons a minute and if you wanted more then it was an additional per foot price until they hit the per gal. minute desired...With our drilled well they hit 25 gallons a minute at 125 feet...so we paid $4,000.00 and our septic was right at $2,300 like yours. Your floors are looking great..

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,124  
Hey Motor, Looking good. Septic installed for $2300??? :confused: Is that doing it yourself? I installed my own septic a couple of years ago and I bought everything on my company accounts and didnt get charged for the trucking of stone or sand and all my materials were about $2000 including a new tank! Around here a new septic goes for about $8-10k at least hired out. I did do a thread on the project if you are doing it yourself, there was lots of good discussion from the members. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/149877-diy-septic-system.html
Are they required to be engineered in Tenn?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,125  
Hey Motor, Looking good. Septic installed for $2300??? :confused: Is that doing it yourself? I installed my own septic a couple of years ago and I bought everything on my company accounts and didnt get charged for the trucking of stone or sand and all my materials were about $2000 including a new tank! Around here a new septic goes for about $8-10k at least hired out. I did do a thread on the project if you are doing it yourself, there was lots of good discussion from the members. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/149877-diy-septic-system.html

Same here, septics cost $7500 on up for low pressure ground lattice work system. The sprinkler sprayer type cost about $5000 a few years ago...

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,126  

I imagine a lot still depends on the "ground perk test" and the number of bedrooms. Some fields require 2 runs, some tanks require aerator pumps.
Like he said about the well, you don't really know till you get started.
Unless he is awfull lucky on the well or doesn't require much water I think the total estimate is way too low.

Last edited:
   / The Log house Project begins........ #1,127  
Wow ! You guys are paying a fortune for Septic systems and wells....Motor is in Tenn. and I am in Ga. and wells and septic systems do not even approach costing what you are quoting...a well runs about $4,000 unless they run into extraordinary problems and a septic system runs from $2,200 to 2,500 unless the dirt is poor and won't perk...I am shocked at the prices you pay elsewhere.

#1,128  
Wow ! You guys are paying a fortune for Septic systems and wells....Motor is in Tenn. and I am in Ga. and wells and septic systems do not even approach costing what you are quoting...a well runs about $4,000 unless they run into extraordinary problems and a septic system runs from $2,200 to 2,500 unless the dirt is poor and won't perk...I am shocked at the prices you pay elsewhere.

Ditto!

Septic's here are all graveless field line, a 900 gallon tank is about $600. Most times the county agent only inspects the soil, no perk test needed & the permit is $500...sorry I didn't add that to the install cost. A 2br 2ba septic is $2800(with permit) installed, 3br/3b is another few hundred dollars.

We have bought/sold/flipped a few properties here and the last well we sank hit 35 gallons a min @ 202'. A buddie just drilled and hit 40gal a min at 250' about 2 miles away. There are artesian springs everywhere, most have good water, but you can hit hard rotten egg water with lots of minerals in it if you are unlucky. It is a crap shoot, the guy behind my place up another 400' in elevation had to go 800'....cost him $10,000. Another friend drilled two wells to 300' on his place and hit 10gal...A DAY.

I have been playing around water witching with two coat hangers. I get a strong crossing of the wires in only one place up near the house. So far my wife and TNMike have also had a "hit" within 10' of the same spot. I don't know if it works, but it's fun to play around with.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,129  
Motor..You are going to put your tank for the well in your basement ....right ? I did...and I also added a double water filter system from Lowes...HD has them too...under $100 will get you what you need to have the filtering system and if nothing else it keeps all the minerals, grit and particles out of your water so your toilet tanks, washing machine, ice maker and dishwasher don't have all that grit to wear them out....makes a huge difference...2 replacement filters run about $12 for the pair...well worth it and easy to install.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,130  

All depends on location and conditions in my mind. Twelve years ago, 15 miles east of Dahlonega, Brim, I paid 10K for a well and 10K for a septic. It is a difficult site on the side of a mountain so it is all about setting.

MarkV