Page 13 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 2274
  1. #121
    Elite Member bindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,909
    Location
    Willis, Texas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    [QUOTE=MotorSeven;2444201]Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):
    Thanks for the photos. I have always been fascinated by saw mills. There used to be dozen of small mills here in East Texas. I do love the flavor of the wood also. I have three large (up to 36 inch) blades lining my driveway.
    hugs, Brandi

  2. #122
    Platinum Member BoFuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    863
    Location
    Arizona
    Tractor
    2008 Kubota L3400

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):







    Okay, I'm starting to look at these sawmills now. That's awesome!

  3. #123
    Elite Member MotorSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,935
    Location
    NE TENN (Hancock Co)
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    My mill can handle a 26' log x 28" in diameter.

    The logger called this morning and is into the Hemlock. I did a quick calculation: 30' span, 6" wide Ridge beam, 24" overhang and a 12/12 pitch = a 23' 8 & 1/4" rafter. So I told him to cut the logs at 25'. When I went up to look at them he had two skidded out....a 24" & a 28" so I told him to try and "pick on" smaller trees that I can handle easier as I am not looking forward to getting that 15' x 28" Hemlock on the mill and rolling it 8-10 times.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

  4. #124
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    3,676
    Location
    Grayson County, TX
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    I wonder what the moisture content on the logs is. They will really shrink as they dry out, which could require some of that 1/2" caulk.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

  5. #125
    Elite Member MotorSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,935
    Location
    NE TENN (Hancock Co)
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
    I wonder what the moisture content on the logs is. They will really shrink as they dry out, which could require some of that 1/2" caulk.
    The logs? Eastern Red Cedar shrinks very little and dries rather fast. If you asking about the Hemlock I have no idea how much shrinkage, but for rafter purposes reasonable shrinkage really does not matter much.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

  6. #126
    Elite Member MotorSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,935
    Location
    NE TENN (Hancock Co)
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    Ref the "building Permit". I talked to the Mayor yesterday & the no sawmill lumber thing was incorrect. The state of TN does have issues with sawmill lumber being uses in structural walls as in framing. It can be done, but the lumber must be ok'd by the inspector or graded. This is all a little murky, but this evening the inspector and Mayor showed up and I gave them the tour of my site. I have been exempted from the fee since it was started 2 years ago, but will participate in the framing & final inspection. I'm ok with this as everything I have done and will do exceeds state codes. With the permit in hand I can now get the temp power in here and start to roll
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

  7. #127
    Elite Member bindian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,909
    Location
    Willis, Texas
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Ref the "building Permit". I talked to the Mayor yesterday & the no sawmill lumber thing was incorrect. The state of TN does have issues with sawmill lumber being uses in structural walls as in framing. It can be done, but the lumber must be ok'd by the inspector or graded. This is all a little murky, but this evening the inspector and Mayor showed up and I gave them the tour of my site. I have been exempted from the fee since it was started 2 years ago, but will participate in the framing & final inspection. I'm ok with this as everything I have done and will do exceeds state codes. With the permit in hand I can now get the temp power in here and start to roll
    Rick,
    That is good news.
    Let the fun continue
    What brand of box blade do you own? I have been wanting a 7 footer.
    hugs, Brandi

  8. #128
    Elite Member MotorSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,935
    Location
    NE TENN (Hancock Co)
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post
    Rick,
    That is good news.
    Let the fun continue
    What brand of box blade do you own? I have been wanting a 7 footer.
    hugs, Brandi

    I have a 7' International brand heavy duty box. We have a lot of rocks here and it has held up perfect even though I'm not too easy on it. Definatly pay the extra $ for the heavy duty..it has thicker steel and stronger supports.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

  9. #129
    Super Member crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,932
    Location
    Northern Vermont

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    I always love seeing pictures of saw mills. Someday I'll get one and start turning all this Beech, Maple, and Cherry around the house into something I can use. Right now any Hemlock that gets uprooted just sits and rots.

    The Hemlock will shrink some when it dries. When they put up my timber frame the used wet wood and over the years the wood has died. Every so often you can here the wood crack as it dries a little more.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

  10. #130
    Gold Member Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    359
    Location
    Grantham, South East Queensland
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30 HST

    Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

    Has anyone looked at the Peterson or Lucas portable mills? They have some nice features.

Page 13 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.