Page 13 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

[QUOTE=MotorSeven;2444201]Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):
    Thanks for the photos. I have always been fascinated by saw mills. There used to be dozen of small mills here in East Texas. I do love the flavor of the wood also. I have three large (up to 36 inch) blades lining my driveway.
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    2008 Kubota L3400

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):

Okay, I'm starting to look at these sawmills now. That's awesome!

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

My mill can handle a 26' log x 28" in diameter.

The logger called this morning and is into the Hemlock. I did a quick calculation: 30' span, 6" wide Ridge beam, 24" overhang and a 12/12 pitch = a 23' 8 & 1/4" rafter. So I told him to cut the logs at 25'. When I went up to look at them he had two skidded out....a 24" & a 28" so I told him to try and "pick on" smaller trees that I can handle easier as I am not looking forward to getting that 15' x 28" Hemlock on the mill and rolling it 8-10 times.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2710

I wonder what the moisture content on the logs is. They will really shrink as they dry out, which could require some of that 1/2" caulk.
    Alan L., TX
    South of Bugtussle
    North of Mustang
    On the banks of Buck Creek
    We don't rent pigs.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
    I wonder what the moisture content on the logs is. They will really shrink as they dry out, which could require some of that 1/2" caulk.
    The logs? Eastern Red Cedar shrinks very little and dries rather fast. If you asking about the Hemlock I have no idea how much shrinkage, but for rafter purposes reasonable shrinkage really does not matter much.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Ref the "building Permit". I talked to the Mayor yesterday & the no sawmill lumber thing was incorrect. The state of TN does have issues with sawmill lumber being uses in structural walls as in framing. It can be done, but the lumber must be ok'd by the inspector or graded. This is all a little murky, but this evening the inspector and Mayor showed up and I gave them the tour of my site. I have been exempted from the fee since it was started 2 years ago, but will participate in the framing & final inspection. I'm ok with this as everything I have done and will do exceeds state codes. With the permit in hand I can now get the temp power in here and start to roll
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Ref the "building Permit". I talked to the Mayor yesterday & the no sawmill lumber thing was incorrect. The state of TN does have issues with sawmill lumber being uses in structural walls as in framing. It can be done, but the lumber must be ok'd by the inspector or graded. This is all a little murky, but this evening the inspector and Mayor showed up and I gave them the tour of my site. I have been exempted from the fee since it was started 2 years ago, but will participate in the framing & final inspection. I'm ok with this as everything I have done and will do exceeds state codes. With the permit in hand I can now get the temp power in here and start to roll
    Rick,
    That is good news.
    Let the fun continue
    What brand of box blade do you own? I have been wanting a 7 footer.
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post
    Rick,
    That is good news.
    Let the fun continue
    What brand of box blade do you own? I have been wanting a 7 footer.
    hugs, Brandi

I have a 7' International brand heavy duty box. We have a lot of rocks here and it has held up perfect even though I'm not too easy on it. Definatly pay the extra $ for the heavy duty..it has thicker steel and stronger supports.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

I always love seeing pictures of saw mills. Someday I'll get one and start turning all this Beech, Maple, and Cherry around the house into something I can use. Right now any Hemlock that gets uprooted just sits and rots.

The Hemlock will shrink some when it dries. When they put up my timber frame the used wet wood and over the years the wood has died. Every so often you can here the wood crack as it dries a little more.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Kioti CK30 HST

Has anyone looked at the Peterson or Lucas portable mills? They have some nice features.

Page 13 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast