The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #121  
Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):
Thanks for the photos.;) I have always been fascinated by saw mills. There used to be dozen of small mills here in East Texas. I do love the flavor of the wood also. I have three large (up to 36 inch) blades lining my driveway.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #122  
Bin, here are some shots of the mill and that big pine log I was talking about(it got made into barn wood for a different thread):

Polebarnzilla004-1.jpg

Polebarnzilla006-1.jpg

Polebarnzilla007.jpg

Polebarnzilla009.jpg

Okay, I'm starting to look at these sawmills now. That's awesome!

/ The Log house Project begins........
My mill can handle a 26' log x 28" in diameter.

The logger called this morning and is into the Hemlock. I did a quick calculation: 30' span, 6" wide Ridge beam, 24" overhang and a 12/12 pitch = a 23' 8 & 1/4" rafter. So I told him to cut the logs at 25'. When I went up to look at them he had two skidded out....a 24" & a 28":shocked: so I told him to try and "pick on" smaller trees that I can handle easier as I am not looking forward to getting that 15' x 28" Hemlock on the mill and rolling it 8-10 times.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #124  
I wonder what the moisture content on the logs is. They will really shrink as they dry out, which could require some of that 1/2" caulk.

I wonder what the moisture content on the logs is. They will really shrink as they dry out, which could require some of that 1/2" caulk.

The logs? Eastern Red Cedar shrinks very little and dries rather fast. If you asking about the Hemlock I have no idea how much shrinkage, but for rafter purposes reasonable shrinkage really does not matter much.

Ref the "building Permit". I talked to the Mayor yesterday & the no sawmill lumber thing was incorrect. The state of TN does have issues with sawmill lumber being uses in structural walls as in framing. It can be done, but the lumber must be ok'd by the inspector or graded. This is all a little murky, but this evening the inspector and Mayor showed up and I gave them the tour of my site. I have been exempted from the fee since it was started 2 years ago, but will participate in the framing & final inspection. I'm ok with this as everything I have done and will do exceeds state codes. With the permit in hand I can now get the temp power in here and start to roll:thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #127  
Ref the "building Permit". I talked to the Mayor yesterday & the no sawmill lumber thing was incorrect. The state of TN does have issues with sawmill lumber being uses in structural walls as in framing. It can be done, but the lumber must be ok'd by the inspector or graded. This is all a little murky, but this evening the inspector and Mayor showed up and I gave them the tour of my site. I have been exempted from the fee since it was started 2 years ago, but will participate in the framing & final inspection. I'm ok with this as everything I have done and will do exceeds state codes. With the permit in hand I can now get the temp power in here and start to roll:thumbsup:

Rick,
That is good news.
Let the fun continue
What brand of box blade do you own? I have been wanting a 7 footer.
hugs, Brandi

Rick,
That is good news.
Let the fun continue
What brand of box blade do you own? I have been wanting a 7 footer.
hugs, Brandi

I have a 7' International brand heavy duty box. We have a lot of rocks here and it has held up perfect even though I'm not too easy on it. Definatly pay the extra $ for the heavy duty..it has thicker steel and stronger supports.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #129  
I always love seeing pictures of saw mills. Someday I'll get one and start turning all this Beech, Maple, and Cherry around the house into something I can use. Right now any Hemlock that gets uprooted just sits and rots.

The Hemlock will shrink some when it dries. When they put up my timber frame the used wet wood and over the years the wood has died. Every so often you can here the wood crack as it dries a little more.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #130  
Has anyone looked at the Peterson or Lucas portable mills? They have some nice features.