The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,461  
I glued down the countertops using Liquid Nails in the gallon buckets and a 1/16th notched trowel. Then the weigh-ting began:
Coppercountertops003.jpg

I did the island first and the curved to 90 degree corners were...interesting:
Coppercountertops005.jpg

I found that I like working the copper. It has to be done in stages, strike the top edge all the way down it's length, come back and strike the face, then again with a glancing blow to start the turn underneath. I used the hard rubber hammer that came with the HF nail gun. The back side is square steel and perfect for tucking the lip all the way under:
Coppercountertops009.jpg

#1,462  
Coppercountertops008.jpg

I had to make relief cuts every 6 inches or so on the curved edge or it would bunch up:
Coppercountertops010.jpg

Coppercountertops012.jpg

#1,463  
All done with the edges:
Coppercountertops015.jpg

Then I went ahead and started on the "L" tops while the glue was setting:
Coppercountertops013.jpg

Coppercountertops018.jpg

#1,464  
A little more:
Coppercountertops016.jpg

Then I cut out the section for the gas stove top:
Coppercountertops020.jpg

and......I stuck the wall oven/micro in it's nest:
Coppercountertops002.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,465  
MotorSeven,
I've been following your thread for a while now, but have not posted anything yet. After looking at the copper work you did.....WOW! Amazing work and design! Everything you have done along the way has been top-notch. You are building a true castle and I hope you enjoy your finished home soon!
I love reading everyone's comments and suggestions too, I have learned a lot just by reading this thread. Thanks to everyone!
Otto

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,466  
That copper sure fits in with the rest of your craftsmanship, how are you going to finish relief cuts and corners, solder? Cant wait to see your sink!

Dave

#1,467  
Thanks Otto, I can't wait to get the green patina on it to give it some color.

Dave, I was thinking the same thing, solder those folds once I have them where I want them, then there won't be any sharp edges. The question is, will a regular solder gun work, or will I need to use a micro torch? I would have to be real careful with a torch not to burn the wood and/or change the color too much so I think I will try my solder gun first.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,468  
Instead of solder (you would probably have to use at least a b tank) what about a decorative nail head. I would think that something that doesn not stick out (rounded) but more flat would work.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,470  
The B tank he is referring to is the small size acetylene tank used by plumbers and a/c contractors,

A soldering gun is not going to do it. Not nearly enough heat. You are going to have to clean it to bright to get solder to stick.

I would try a low temperature silver solder (has to be fluxed) and a mapp torch. The melting point of the low temp stuff is in the 400 degree range and is very strong.

Lots of progress. The Mrs. is surely pleased.