The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,491  
The half a million dollar rig as one heck of a air compressor on it:
WELL017.jpg

The two drillers have worked for the same company since '75 and '81....these guys knew their business:thumbsup:

They cranked along and didn't see any change up until 225' when they broke for lunch... all solid rock so far. Before quitting the operator raised the last 20' section all the way out...I kinda wondered why. After lunch(about 40 min) he dropped the section back in and low an behold water squirted out of the hole. He said we went though a small vein of water possibly around 190' and guessed the flow at 1 gal a min. Another 20' section of drill pipe went on and down we went. At about 232' they hit an additional 7 gal a min(whoohoo) and the operator recommended one more 20' stick. Down we went and at about 260' another 7 gal a min was struck. You could easily see the water now gushing out of the hole and running in a small stream down hill from the hole.....a great thing to see:applause:.

So the estimated flow rate is 15 gal a min and none of us could smell any sulphur...no odor at all. I have some videos, but am having a hard time compressing them to be up-loaded. For some reason Windows movie maker keeps adding each clip to the last when I want to keep em separate.

So at 1500hrs I had this:
WELL027.jpg

WELL026.jpg

Then it was off to Home Desperate to spend $1500 on a one horse pump, wire, 35 gal pressure tank, 1 1/4 poly pipe and all associated "accessories". I plan to set the pump and hook up the house tomorrow.

#1,492  
I don't have the drillers bill yet, but it should be about $3500($11 a foot to drill, $8 a foot for casing, plus misc). With the pump etc I will be done for a little over $5K.

wheeewwwww:drink:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,493  
WOW that's Great!! Congradulations!:thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,495  
Great news on the well. I know that is a load off your mind.

Have you tried vinegar on the copper?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,496  
Congrats, that is one big hurdle off the list. Was that the spot the water drouser found?

#1,497  
Congrats, that is one big hurdle off the list. Was that the spot the water drouser found?

Well...{pun intended} when the douser was here I put a small cedar plank exactly on the spot he said "Good water, 200' 15 gal a min". Yesterday morning I go out there to put a better marker there and ........"WHAT...the cedar plank is GONE?"

Hmmm, so I grit my teeth, and sneer(like when Seinfeild says "N e w-m a n!!!") and say "Thibodeaux!!!"
SnowagainJan2011024.jpg

AKA the "DUFUS"...but his nose is incredible. If I drop something in the woods, he can find it the next day. Brings home box turtles almost every time he goes out and gives them to me un-harmed. Jumps off a 12' bank right into the creek just for fun, still chews up everything even though he's now 2. I know HE stole my cedar plank....{sneer}..."D o o o f u s".

Anyway, I was pretty sure of the spot, but just in case I got out the coat hangers and warmed them up. "Yep,..ok,,...right here ought a do it". So the douser was right about the flow, wrong by 60 feet....sheesh, can't depend on anyone these days:D

#1,498  
Excellent! :)

Did they offer to supply the pump?
Did they recommend the spot to drill?

Yes, but their price was a little high($2K) for me. It was a very fair price, but I can get the whole system in, w/pressure tank valves etc for $500 cheaper if I DIY. It will take me a day, but then I will know the system intimately and do things my way. Such as hanging the pump on a 3/16th's steel cable(makes later replacement a lot easier with no chance of loosing the pump) & going to a 1hp instead of 3/4.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,499  
Yes, but their price was a little high($2K) for me. It was a very fair price, but I can get the whole system in, w/pressure tank valves etc for $500 cheaper if I DIY. It will take me a day, but then I will know the system intimately and do things my way. Such as hanging the pump on a 3/16th's steel cable(makes later replacement a lot easier with no chance of loosing the pump) & going to a 1hp instead of 3/4.

In our old house where we lived for 30 yrs. before building our new one 7 yrs. ago , we had a drilled well with no whole house water filter system....we always have granules in the toilet tanks and our washer and ice maker always had problems with rusting and corrosion from those granules....When we built our new house and drilled our well...( it is 175 ft. with 25 gal per min ) we went to Lowes and for under $100.00 we added two in line water filters and change the cartridges which are cheap , every 6 months...we have none of those granules and peace of mind knowing our water is really filtered well.....It does not have to be expensive like calling out a water filtration company...now that is pricey but no better than what we have..

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,500  
So, now that you have the well done, are you going to give us some more hints about what you're doing instead of raised panel doors?