The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,511  
I am assuming this was confirmed by test. A lot of the water in the county has sulphur and iron. What did the test show for the later? Have you got a link to the system they want to sell you? Shock clorinate the well with 2 gallons of clorox overnight and see if it improves. Iron bacteria can create a host of problems. ( run the clorox off with a hose)

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/ironbacteria.html

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,512  
Can only share my experience. We have a weekend place in N. Georgia with a 450' deep well on the side of a mountain. We had some sulfur smell when we first drilled that cleared itself up with use. Now that we rarely go the place will sit for several months at a time and we get some smell when we go. Run the water for half hour and it goes away in our case. I did get the water tested and it was not considered harmful. Of course each well is different so your mileage may vary.

MarkV

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,513  
Too late Tom, 3/16th coated galv wire is in.

Ok....folks...it's official we have moderate sulphur. The well rep stopped by to give me the bill($3650) and said the aeration filter system for sulpher is $1K installed......what do y'all say????????

Motor....that is what I posted about in an earlier post....Go to lowes and buy a whole house water filter system...you want to had to water filters ...a primary and secondary...the filters I use are white and ribbed and they completely remove all sulfur taste or smell from out water and filter our well water of everything else as well....7 yrs. ago the 2 water filters which are installed right on your water pipe from the well in the basement...cost us under $ 100.00 and it should not be much more now....the replacement filters are cheap and last us 6 months before we replace them.....I would sure do this before spending $ 1,000 I say again, it removes all the sulfur from our well water and has for 7 yrs. now....Here is a link to the Lowes filters we have had....you can read the reviews...We have had no bad experience because we installed ours correctly with shut off valves etc. and two of them in line...http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,514  
Nope, no test yet other than a calibrated nose. He said a filter system will not keep up with the amount we have and that the only real harm of the sulphur is it's corrosive attack on COPPER and other metals. The smell does not bother me a bit, but I am concerned with it eating away at all the fixtures. Ran it a few more hours yesterday while working on the pressure tank/etc. It's still milky and the rep said if that does not clear out in another day or two it's the sulphur making it that color. It seems like the more we run it the stronger the smell gets.

I'm going to finish hooking up all my fixtures today and get the water turned on and do a leak check. After that I will run the snot out of it and see if it clears.

Mike he didn't mention the name of the system, but he explained it...sounds like something along these lines:
Iron and Sulfur Removal From Well Water.

Mark I hope it wanes, but I suspect it will not...seems pretty strong.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,515  
Try the clorox. It will not cure it but it will help it. I wouldn't spend a dime based on someones nose. Call a reputable water treament company and get a test done first.

I have a similar filter on my well and they do work. Got it off craigslist cheap.

I think the milky color you are seeing is from the drilling process. It might take a few days to settle out.

#1,516  
The driller does water tests, but he wants to wait until it's flushed out for a couple of days. I am re-bleaching it again today in case I am smelling sulphur bacteria, not hydrogen sulfhide gas...two different things.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,517  
Iron bacteria will create sulphide smells as well. The chlorine kills the bacteria( for a while) and reduces the smell. Sounds like you are moving in the right direction. I can tell you that this type of water is highly corrosive untreated. It will eat
galvanized fittings up in short order.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,518  
Nope, no test yet other than a calibrated nose. He said a filter system will not keep up with the amount we have and that the only real harm of the sulphur is it's corrosive attack on COPPER and other metals. The smell does not bother me a bit, but I am concerned with it eating away at all the fixtures. Ran it a few more hours yesterday while working on the pressure tank/etc. It's still milky and the rep said if that does not clear out in another day or two it's the sulphur making it that color. It seems like the more we run it the stronger the smell gets.

I'm going to finish hooking up all my fixtures today and get the water turned on and do a leak check. After that I will run the snot out of it and see if it clears.

Also I take it you don't know how big the aquifer or pocket of water your well has tapped is...If I were you I would not be dumping any gallon of bleach down that well. instead I would be taking water samples to a state lab, the health department and get some qualified advice and I would do all of this before I bought any filtration system , especially one costing north of $1K

Mike he didn't mention the name of the system, but he explained it...sounds like something along these lines:
Iron and Sulfur Removal From Well Water.

Mark I hope it wanes, but I suspect it will not...seems pretty strong.

Without the filter our water has a slight sulfur smell but it is not nor has it ever been Milky....that sounds like you have a serious water problem....Good Luck with that.

Last edited:
#1,519  
Without the filter our water has a slight sulfur smell but it is not nor has it ever been Milky....that sounds like you have a serious water problem....Good Luck with that.

Hmmm, ran it for about 10 hrs today. still milky, and even with it running down the bluff away from the house I could smell it. NG......not good:cool:

On a good note I will hook up the system to the house tomorrow and test the plumbing. Also I did the frog green patina in "areas" on the counter tops...the War Dept approved.........pic's soon.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,520  
Too late Tom, 3/16th coated galv wire is in.

Ok....folks...it's official we have moderate sulphur. The well rep stopped by to give me the bill($3650) and said the aeration filter system for sulpher is $1K installed......what do y'all say????????

When we put our well in, the milky color occurred, and with use went away in a few days......In my absence from the farm, a (dis-honest) well guy sold my daughter a system that uses salt , and a thing that looks like an oxygen bottle filled with pellets that would take iron out.....It made the water feel (on your skin) sort of slick, like you didn`t get the soap off........I disconnected it and for a while we have had good clear water.....Unfortunately I used the well too heavily during the last two years, watering during the drought...The water just has an iron problem now.....I think the well person just put a very shallow well in, and I plan on digging it up to see....The system he sold her for many thousand dollars, just has a series of nozzles that spray the water out into the holding tank, and that was for the sulfur smell which we did not have.....

I believe that the aeration of the water may help you, and you would be ahead of the game if you didn`t have to anything more than that.....Good Luck Tony