The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,521  
MotorSeven said:
The driller does water tests, but he wants to wait until it's flushed out for a couple of days. I am re-bleaching it again today in case I am smelling sulphur bacteria, not hydrogen sulfhide gas...two different things.
Is the driller the same person who is selling the $1000 filtration system? If so, I would want a second opinion from a testing company that does not try to sell filtration systems.
Obed

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,522  
I think you may be able to test your water through your county or the state. You would just send off a sample in the mail. That is what we did in NC when we lived there.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,523  
Hmmm, ran it for about 10 hrs today. still milky, and even with it running down the bluff away from the house I could smell it. NG......not good:cool:

On a good note I will hook up the system to the house tomorrow and test the plumbing. Also I did the frog green patina in "areas" on the counter tops...the War Dept approved.........pic's soon.

If I were you, I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_89376-59019...ollar|1&facetInfo=Whole house|Complete system and I would hook it up to my outlet on the well and just see if it did not cure your problem....I am going to bet it will...and that is just one...then I would go back and buy another and hook them up in series ...filter 1 and filter 2....To try it is going to cost you around $50.00...then you will know...If it does not work....take it back and get your money back....You have only a little effort to lose and lots of grief and money to save if it works like I think it will.....

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,524  
I probably will Brin, I will need a filter anyway. With the amount I have I am pretty certain that this is beyond a filter system. I did a little reading, and a carbon filter can remove sulfur, but it's capacity is severly limited to very small ppm's. High ppm sulfur quickly clogs the filter, sometimes in a few days, so a water test is most definitely in order.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,525  
M7
I have a 600+ well and that sucker was milky for a loooong time and due to the drill debris. The particles would settle out in the toilet tank etc. Hope that is all it is.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,526  
Then it was off to Home Desperate to spend $1500 on a one horse pump, wire, 35 gal pressure tank, 1 1/4 poly pipe and all associated "accessories". I plan to set the pump and hook up the house tomorrow.

Wow in one day you made it to 260 ft drilling. When my 300 ft well was drilled it took three days total. Of course the first 25 feet took 4 hours because of the granite shelf he had to go through, then it was basalt for the next 250 ft then sandstone finally. I understand that they only cased yours in 6" steel to 40 feet or so but did they then use a PVC liner for the lower casing (4.5") or was it left as an open rock hole. The reason I ask is that out here the concern was that a pump in a rock only hole ran the chance of partial hole collapse and wedging the drop pipe and pump in the hole. They said the PVC liner would prevent that; apparently it is also required by the state.

How deep did you set the pump?
What was you static water level or did I miss it in the narrative?
Did you lower the drop pipe (1.25") and pump by hand?
Did you use threaded couplings or did you glue the joints?
Did you put in a pitless adapter or are pumping out the top with a top of the well seal?
The weight of water in the drop pipe can build up very quickly and get heavy.

I have been trying to figure out how to pull an existing 2" drop pipe with 20 ft threaded sections without renting a crane and with your ingenuity wondered how you did yours.

My well was run at 50+gpm for 6 hours before the milky color dissipated and the water ran clear. That was a waste of a lot of water but was required.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,527  
I had to replace my galvanized drop pipe couplings a couple if years ago due to corrosion. One developed a hole and would drop pressure. The well company told me that plastic fittings would not hold the weight in a deep well. The pipe itself is plastic.

You would have to have a lift of some kind to pull the pipe. They used a clamp that stopped on the casing and pulled it stick by stick.

50 gpm is a lot of water.

Last edited:
#1,528  
Freddie, I hope it clears...still murky today. But I did get the house all up and running. Two pex compression rings leaking....the idiot that installed it(me didn't clamp them:banghead:), also a few fittings on the pressure tank were leaking..had to take it apart twice to fix it.

Fu, we set at 250'
Never checked the static, but best guess is about 150'
I did 1" roll poly 160 PSI pipe...no joints and triple clamps at the pump, then a galv steel cable as a back-up.
Pitless adapter...I want to give that inventor a big "hug"...awesome!

If you have 20' threaded make a tripod with a pulley, the weak point is at the threads...too much lateral tension and they snap. Keep the arc nice and large and it will be fine.

Heck, 6 hrs would have been nice. After the 10 hr run time yesterday I turned it on this AM and got muddy water(singing a blues tune), then crystal clear for 45 sec, then muddy, then milky....it's still milky and stinky.

50gpm ...wow

#1,529  
Plumbing wall all buttoned up:
Laquercountertops020.jpg

Pressure tank mounted and all leaks fixed:
Laquercountertops018.jpg

Hot water heater plumbed...next is gas pipe:
Laquercountertops015.jpg

#1,530  
Counter tops patina'd and laquered(first coat):