The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #151  
The wall moved from loose soil. Two things now make me even more concerned. Loose soil will hold more water then compacted soil. It takes years for loose soil to compact on it's own. The first thing that concerns me is what will happen when you get heavy rains? That loose soil is going to be one big massive sponge for all that water!!!! If you have a lot of water in the ground, and you will have more of it with loose soil, then if the ground freezes and the water expands, you have even more pressure on the sides of those blocks. This is when well built, in perfect condition, retaining walls fail. This is when solid concrete foundations on homes fail.

The second concern is that you are putting a band aid on a serious wound. While I don't have the experience that Robert does, I do question the reasoning of relying on the framing of the house above the wall to hold the wall in place. It might be that my lack of knowledge of basements and how they work makes me ignorant of this, but in my experience, it's all about the basics. You dig a solid footing, you build solid walls, and you go from there. Right now, you have a wall that is bowed. It is not solid.

Ask yourself this question. If you had unlimited funds, would you tear it down and do it over again?

Then ask yourself this question. If you were buying the house, would you still want it if you read this thread about the foundation wall?

The last question that you need to ask yourself is when you go to sell the house, and you might one day, will you tell the buyers about the wall?

If you are unsure of any of those questions, hire an engineer to see what he says? I would never trust the opinion of a guy who pours concrete or hauls it. While there are those that might understand soil engineering and soil movement, or how to build a retaining wall, it's not a chance that I would take witout any credentials.

Sorry, it just doesn't seem like a chance that I would take with everything that you have planned for the house. It also might be that the original wall wasn't built properly, and that you should have used a different block, with rebar in it and the concrete poured inside the block at the time of the build. Something is very wrong, and to do it right, you need to figure out what went wrong and what it takes to make it right.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #152  
I've been following this thread, and I love what you're doing with the house. I have to side with Eddie. I'd rather have it done right than have it done right now.

I think it's time to take a step back, consider the advice of qualified people you trust, and make sure you're not making a long term error with a short term fix.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #153  
955 it was loose, I just bucketed it in there - no compaction. Since it was so close to the wall I didn't even drive on it. I know, disturbing the soil directly in front of the house front door is also something I do not want to do....a double edged sword thing.......

Brandi, for some reason the local concrete place does not have a pumper truck, only a conveyor belt truck. It's like a regular concrete truck, but it has a huge conveyor boom that can extend out to 30 some odd feet. The wet crete travels out onto the boom on a belt, then drops into a funnel with a 4" or so tube on it to direct where it gets poured. It costs $18 more bucks a yard for the belt truck...I think the total for delivered yard will be $146ish including the fuel surcharge and tax.

I got in touch with my concrete guy(also a neighbor) who is going to finish the slab in the basement floor. He has been in the industry all his life and his specialty is finishing but I'll bet he has seen this before. He is stopping by this morning and we are going to discuss options.
I wouldn't put any vehicle of any kind near that wall until the house was built.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........
Well sports fans, it turns out that the rain decided things for me..........

The crack this morning was 1/2" and growing:
Foundationfubar002.jpg

Foundationfubar003.jpg

Foundationfubar008.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #155  
MotorSeven said:
Well sports fans, it turns out that the rain decided things for me..........

The crack this morning was 1/2" and growing:

Ouch :-( at least its easy to get to. It would be worse if your house was already on the walls

The wall was now bowed in almost 6 inches:
Foundationfubar004.jpg

So I called a couple of neighbors and I put the auger on the Kioti to dig 4 holes in the basement to anchor some 6x6 supports. If there has been any doubt here on TBN about the integrity of the ground under the footers.....the Kioti could not get the auger to bite. My buddie brought his 60 horse Belarus Tractor up that has downforce on the 3 point. At that we were only able to dig 4 holes one foot deep...that's it. It was almost like trying to auger into a concrete slab.
Anyway we put the 6x6's in the holes, leaned them against 4 vertical 6x6's on the wall and screwed everything together:
Foundationfubar005.jpg

After we stablizied the wall I called my backhoe guy and pleaded for help. I then put in a call to a structual engineer at a company in a nearby town that specializes in foundations. He called me back and I told him the entire "story". His advise was to get the fill out, let the wall settle back with or without my help, then go ahead and fill the block & cap with crete. Then after the floor trusses are in, back fill with gravel...not slate or dirt. He also said that the slate clay mix I initially used to backfull swells over 50% of it's size when wet:( Which is what caused all the problems. He recommended a few support walls inside to aid in retaining the walls integrity. I will do all of the above.

My backhoe guy arrived around 7PM, worked until after dark and removed all the fill against the wall. The Platon survived it all except one 3x4" tear cause by a large boulder. The wall settled back 3 of the 6 inches and I could hip check it & move it easily. No pic's yet, but I will used the Kioti tomorrow to push down on each brace until the wall is straight, then lock down the braces.

I can breath now, but my arse still hurts from me kicking it for 48hrs:mur:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #157  
I think you should be glad that this happened now. It would have been a real pain, well, more of a pain, if it happened down the road. I kind of feared this but didn't want to be overly pessimistic. When we had our house built, we didn't have the downspouts on because we had to wait for the brick to be laid. I had some pvc pipe angled to the gutter to catch the water if it rained and another pipe to take it away from the fresh dirt that we pushed back in around the foundation. I was about an hour away at a cabin we had & a windy storm came through. I couldn't relax thinking the pipes fell down and all the rain water was running right down along side the house. Drove home at 1 am but all was fine. I still remember that sick feeling I had. I don't know if it would have pushed in because I had the weight of the house on the wall but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. You'll feel better after you get everthing straightened out. Good luck.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #158  
...He also said that the slate clay mix I initially used to backfull swells over 50% of it's size when wet:( Which is what caused all the problems...

I had no idea that it could swell this much!!!

Sounds like you got some good advice based on local conditions and experience. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now that it's happened, it might have been a blessing that it happened when it did. If not, and with that soil in there, you might have had the house all done, and then the wall buckled. In the grand scheme of things, I think you got lucky!!!

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #159  
Two things, first of all you should have NEVER backfilled against a block wall without joists on it, with plate properly attatched.
Second of all, you should have installed pillasters in the long wall, perhaps two of them.

Two things, first of all you should have NEVER backfilled against a block wall without joists on it, with plate properly attatched.
Second of all, you should have installed pillasters in the long wall, perhaps two of them.

Um.....yes Dave, I have come to that conclusion....the hard way. Remember, ignorance is bliss until it causes something like this:thumbsup:.