Page 174 of 229 FirstFirst ... 74124164171172173174175176177184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2284
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Antenna alignment was almost perfect. I called the tech(L-Com has fantastic customer service!) and he said the intermittent signal strength is caused from being behind the antenna at the receiving end. I added an old Linksys router to the system here at the log house and signal is mucho better:
    Download speed- 9.10 Mbps
    Upload speed- 0.08 Mbps
    I get it now...the Motor handle...You don't stop going ..not ever ..you are like the EverReady bunny...How in the heck do you keep track of all the projects you are doing...hands on....? I mean I can see doing it as a worker and GC but you are doing everything and it seems all at once...Hmmmm? what multi vitamin are you taking...do you mind sharing....
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by radioman

I assume you went with DSL since fios is not available from your phone company?
    Yes, DSL
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    I get it now...the Motor handle...You don't stop going ..not ever ..you are like the EverReady bunny...How in the heck do you keep track of all the projects you are doing...hands on....? I mean I can see doing it as a worker and GC but you are doing everything and it seems all at once...Hmmmm? what multi vitamin are you taking...do you mind sharing....
    Like I said before...I was A.D.D. before ADD was cool Seriously,...... I can only sit for so long then I have to do something. The projects just seem to stay piled up and I try and get them done in order of importance.

I cancelled our Direct TV a few weeks ago. Tried to watch a streaming movie tonight on NetFlix.......no go. It froze a few times and when I checked usage it had burned up almost 10% of the monthly allowance. Cancelled streaming and signed up for mail-in DVD's.....oh well it was worth a shot. I swear I think we only watched a few shows when we had TV..@$70 a month. If Netflix does not have it then I rekon we don't need to see it Besides a good ole paperback book uses no "download allowance", never freezes up, can be paused instantly, draws no power(except for a reading lamp), can sustain a drop from 500', stores indefinitely, and can be used over an over again.....what a high tech idea, eh?
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven
    I cancelled our Direct TV a few weeks ago. Tried to watch a streaming movie tonight on NetFlix.......no go. It froze a few times and when I checked usage it had burned up almost 10% of the monthly allowance. Cancelled streaming and signed up for mail-in DVD's.....oh well it was worth a shot. I swear I think we only watched a few shows when we had TV..@$70 a month. If Netflix does not have it then I rekon we don't need to see it
    You are better off without TV anyway. It is a major time stealer. We killed TV when we moved into our house and I haven't missed it.
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    You are better off without TV anyway. It is a major time stealer. We killed TV when we moved into our house and I haven't missed it.
    Most of that time is used up emptying a drool cup at least every 15 min when watching the **** thing. What a mindless lot of morons we have become because of TV........
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Gold Member

I enjoy some Discover channels, but the true standby all these years is PBS......Don`t like to watch much, but my wife does......I highly recommend a Kindle reader with the wireless aid....I look on the computer and get the writeup, then when I want one I can usually find a good book, or series, for less than three dollars....very light and convenient....Tony

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Ok sports fans, I have a problem.

Yesterday I walked around the deck and I see a puddle of water 2' in from the eve under the porch/roof transition line. Looking up there is a pretty steady drip and walking along the back porch(North side of house) I see 4 more smaller spots that are wet. I thought I had a leak, but no, it's apparently water vapor condensation on the underside of the metal roof. It was 28 degrees yesterday morning and there was a frost. At the time I walked around it was 11AM and the sun was full on the South side of the roof. There was no drip/leak on the South side porch which means it must have been burned off by the sun. Here are the pic's:

Puddle:

The exit point of the water:

Another spot about 8' in from the eve:

Remember...on the roof, I have 1.5" decking, then 30 weight tar paper, then 3" styrofoam, then purlins, then tin. On the porch I have 4/4 oak decking, then 2" high density foam with vapor barrier backing, then purlins, then tin.

Pondering this I think I should have also put tar paper under porch roof and tucked it up under the transition so any water would continue out over the porch and exit. But, my concern is that no matter what I do I will have this melting water vapor under the right weather conditions and it will still be running down between the tin and the purlins. Since the purlins all run horizontally water will collect/soak in/collect eventually causing an issue.

Maybe this is not a big deal, but it bothers me to have that much moisture between the foam insulation and the tin and I have to wonder if there is a definitive solution???
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

A number have mentioned "raining inside" pole barns with un-insulated metal roofs. This must be similar, except the interior of the house has nothing to do with it.

It seems fairly certain that the underside of the tin is exposed to outside air and humidity only, but when that surface moves through the dew point temperature, condensation will form, either as dew or frost that melts later. If that is what is happening, the air gap between the foam and tin created by the purlins is your culprit. No matter what you put in, tar paper in this case, it can only act as a water shedding surface, not prevent the condensation.

It doesn't seem like trying to seal the space at the eaves is a good thing to do, that would result in trapped moisture probably and be worse in the long run. Failing any good ideas, if it were mine, I would observe it until Spring and see how often it happens.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Dave, I did a little googling. One option is to vapor barrier between the purlins and the tin which would require pulling the roof off. Another is a vented ridge cap that gets more air flow and that is one I would consider. I didn't think I need a vented one since there is are wide slots at the cap created by the shape of the tin.

Compounding the problem is the ventless propane fireplace I just installed and it is in that corner where the drips appeared. Any ventless appliance creates moist air and I was running it yesterday evening and morning.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Dave, I did a little googling. One option is to vapor barrier between the purlins and the tin which would require pulling the roof off. Another is a vented ridge cap that gets more air flow and that is one I would consider. I didn't think I need a vented one since there is are wide slots at the cap created by the shape of the tin.

Compounding the problem is the ventless propane fireplace I just installed and it is in that corner where the drips appeared. Any ventless appliance creates moist air and I was running it yesterday evening and morning.
    A vented ridge cap is a good idea, it might reduce the condensation by air flow.

The way you describe your roof under-layment, it is possible the ventless is involved, but I would think condensation from that would form on the underside of the tar paper, or maybe the foam, since they are the vapor barrier.

Moisture will move through materials unbelievably. I once had a shower/tub with a sheetrock ceiling above, then a layer of plastic for vapor barrier stapled to the underside of the trusses. Condensation would form on the underside of the plastic, on the attic side of the sheetrock, and that was happening under fiberglass insulation to boot -- which theoretically, should have kept that area above the dew point.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Page 174 of 229 FirstFirst ... 74124164171172173174175176177184224 ... LastLast