The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,831  
Just thinking about this and looking at my roof. Are the ends of your R panels sealed? Air should be able to get up under the metal through the ridges and flow to the peak. This should be more then plenty air flow to solve your problems, but if the ends are sealed, then nothing is flowing. Same thing if they ends are open, but the peak is sealed. Open the peak and the air will flow.

Eddie

Sorry but my internet has been down for 3 days. I think a power surge interrupted the antenna radios...I had to re-boot and re-configure both of them today. Just ordered another battery back-up surge protector for the satellite and antenna radios.

No, they are all open......here's the ridge cap end:
Roofventing002.jpg

The drip edge and transition over the porch:
Roofventing003.jpg

And the top of the ridge:
Roofventing005.jpg

#1,832  
....and yes I am going to cover and seal the end of the ridge beam(the one that's split/checked) with copper sheeting. What you are seeing is ring shank in the Hemlock but it only goes back about a foot. I have 8 exposed beam ends and all of them will get covered with left over copper from the kitchen countertops.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,833  
That was a long wait to hear back from you :) Frankly I can`t believe it is leaking.....as usual to me it looks fine....but you know better...Looking at your first picture, `is it open a little to let the air out on both ends? ` The overhang of the cap appears fine, but if the air can`t escape , then it needs to....I can`t tell by the angle of the shot....

I notice on my own roof that condensation formed more heavily on the totally exposed ( both inside overhang and outside) on the porch...I thought that strange and everything had to be the same temperature all around.....Tony

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,834  
That was a long wait to hear back from you :) Frankly I can`t believe it is leaking.....as usual to me it looks fine....but you know better...Looking at your first picture, `is it open a little to let the air out on both ends? ` The overhang of the cap appears fine, but if the air can`t escape , then it needs to....I can`t tell by the angle of the shot....

I notice on my own roof that condensation formed more heavily on the totally exposed ( both inside overhang and outside) on the porch...I thought that strange and everything had to be the same temperature all around.....Tony

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,835  
It looks real good to me too. I'm wondering about the vapor barrier. Does that go out over the wood and under the metal? This just ruined everything I've been saying about venting, since it looks perfect. Something else is going on in there and the only thing that doesn't belong is the vapor barrier. I'm wondering what it's doing?

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,836  

It could be that Rick's overhang is the only part that is condensing. Do you know if the roof over your house is condensing also M7?

Here is the same pic from post #1752. The overhang is just a metal roof sitting on top of open 2X6's with no insulation. Being that the angle of the roof is relatively flat, when the sun comes up it heats the air under the overhang before heating the roof tin and I get a mini rain storm underneath. Just more food for thought.

P8230101.JPG

#1,837  
It looks real good to me too. I'm wondering about the vapor barrier. Does that go out over the wood and under the metal? This just ruined everything I've been saying about venting, since it looks perfect. Something else is going on in there and the only thing that doesn't belong is the vapor barrier. I'm wondering what it's doing?

Eddie

The sandwich looks like this:

-decking
-30 weight tar paper
-3" styrofoam w/taped seams(thinking back I only taped the horizontal seams, not vertical, but the panels were butted tight)
-1x6 purlins
-metal

Tony and 955 it's condensating only over the heated living space, not the overhangs or porches(which btw are insulated with 2" high density foam).

I'm starting to re-think my re-think.....studying ventless propane and y'all are right, at least a half a gallon of water vapor per hr is put into the air when it's running...possibly up to 1 gph:eek: That is a lot of moisture.
Now that company is gone and the "frost in the mornings" returns I will not run the ventless for a few days and see what happens. This week is no help....warming up all week.

#1,838  
Now, there is a shadow from the ridge cap overhang in the pic. The end of the ridge cap is sealed at both ends. First order of business is to cut a hole(4x4 or 5x5-ish) in that on both ends and build a screened cover. It certainly can't hurt anything........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,839  
(thinking back I only taped the horizontal seams, not vertical, but the panels were butted tight)

Hmmm....it doesn't mean that they will stay tight as things move around a lot. Tar paper has a permeability rating of 5 or more so you can't depend on that for your vapor barrier. One or less is considered good.

Nix the ventless and open the ridge cap ends as a start.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,840  
Rick,
Is your 1.5" thick decking that you milled that is your inside ceiling in the vaulted area of the house ---- tongue and grooved?
Ron