The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,911  
Dave I changed out that PCV....no difference. I didn't think it would help but it was worth a $10 shot.

Now a ChevyG30 w/Cummings...that would be impressive. I have to say I was shocked when I looked at the ID plate...8600lbs dry. Factor in fuel, Christmas presents, {cough} a few pounds for me & the missus, this 350 has to be pushing almost 10,000lbs. Even running impaired(the engine not me) it rarely down shifts on a steep hill and maintained speeds at least up to 75mph with ease. Before the oil evaporated I was getting 14.5mpg, after the oil issues it dropped to just over 10mpg.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,912  
Mystery roof drips and vanishing van oil...........maybe I have slipped into the Vortex:laughing:

Sounds like a good Scooby Doo Episode!

#1,913  
The Shaggin Waggin will wait a while....staircase building begins tomorrow..........:thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,914  
You said that and the wife got in to it still? I called an old van of ours the same thing and I think its funny, my wife thinks its immature and pitches a fit.

The Shaggin Waggin will wait a while....staircase building begins tomorrow..........:thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,915  
You said that and the wife got in to it still? I called an old van of ours the same thing and I think its funny, my wife thinks its immature and pitches a fit.

Thats alot better than Stabbin' Cabin :censored::shhh:

#1,916  

Yep...she just rolls her eyes and smiles when I call it that:D

#1,917  
Spiral stair build progress:

First I removed the cedar ladder and the face log that was covering the edge of the loft floor:
IMG_0001-3_zps5dd3f506.jpg

IMG_0002-2_zps0e5fc3a0.jpg

Then I centered the loft landing and attached it with lag screws:
IMG_0004_zps801dce70.jpg

#1,918  
The board is a temp support:
IMG_0005-1_zpsd383bb2b.jpg

I dropped a plumb bob down through the center pole hole and marked the main floor. Then drilled a 1/8th hole in the floor, made up a small board to use as a scribe with a hole at 27" for a Sharpie pen:
IMG_0006_zpse946a109.jpg

Stuck the Sharpie in the hole and marked the 54" staicase hole:
IMG_0007_zps36b320c3.jpg

#1,919  
Then very carefully I used my Bosh jig saw to cut the main floor hole:
IMG_0008_zps2db79f0a.jpg

Using a longer blade I was able to cut completely through the top plate of the floor trusses. I left the rest of the trusses in place tonight so no one falls through:rolleyes:. Tomorrow I will begin removing and reinforcing the 3 floor trusses that must be cut away. I quadruple checked all my measurements before making that cut since there is no turning back if a mistake is made.........{gulp}

The spiral stair instructions are only for a one landing stair and begin from the bottom up, .....absolutely useless in this application. For two landings it has to be done from the top down in order to line it all up correctly. So as usual I have to wing it:)

#1,920  
This is a bit late for me. This AM it was 22F outside. I have to walk around the East side of the house, down a steep slope to access the basement walk thru door. The ground was frozen solid, and yep, halfway down I see both feet up at eye level....then may arse slammed into the slope. Limping I made it into the basement to stoke the stove while muttering, " I gotta get a interior staircase":pullinghair: It's a Excedrin night for me:muttering: