The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,951  
Rick,
I love the look of the spiral staircase. Great job!
Obed

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,952  
Congrats on the stairs. they look really nice.

I'm concerned about the way you carried the load of the trusses when you cut them. From the pictures and your description, are you useing a single 2x10 to carry the load of the cut trusses on either side?

While it does look like there isn't any significant load on top of those trusses, the weight and movement of the floor above them needs to be as strong or stronger then it was before you "modified" the trusses. I would never trust a single board to carry the load in a splice or midification. At a minimum, I would have sandwiched two board with plywood in between them and used metal brackets to tie it all together. The concern with all wood structures is movement over the years. What appears solid today might not remain in that position over time.

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,953  
I hear ya Eddie and your right. So far what I did was a temporary solution and more bracing is in order. I am even going to sister onto the two other parallel trusses and beef them up since they are taking more of a load now.

I decided on barn tin under the floor attached to the "box" bracing to conceal the joists. I have not committed to anything yet up on the main floor to cover the circle cut and keep things from sliding off the floor and falling down onto the stairs. The hole cut edging has to be flush over 50% of the hole and the rest has to stick up 6" or so.....it's going to be interesting.

Staircasealmostdone006_zpsb14ac4a2.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,954  
No matter how big the boards or the beams.... the nails/bolts/screws are important.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,955  
I hear ya Eddie and your right. So far what I did was a temporary solution and more bracing is in order. I am even going to sister onto the two other parallel trusses and beef them up since they are taking more of a load now.

I decided on barn tin under the floor attached to the "box" bracing to conceal the joists. I have not committed to anything yet up on the main floor to cover the circle cut and keep things from sliding off the floor and falling down onto the stairs. The hole cut edging has to be flush over 50% of the hole and the rest has to stick up 6" or so.....it's going to be interesting.

Staircasealmostdone006_zpsb14ac4a2.jpg

Is there some code that would require you to fill that area in with a rim on the floor edge and ballisters or whatever they're called to keep stuff from falling in the hole?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,956  
Is there some code that would require you to fill that area in with a rim on the floor edge and ballisters or whatever they're called to keep stuff from falling in the hole?

Rick,
Since I am an expectant Grandma, I was thinking of any handrail pinch points where the handrail mets the floor. In the photo it looks like a good place to get a finger caught.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,957  

Rick,
Since I am an expectant Grandma, I was thinking of any handrail pinch points where the handrail mets the floor. In the photo it looks like a good place to get a finger caught.
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,958  
M7, just curious but have you noticed any difference in the temperature of the log house since you put the stairs in, you know with "heat" rising?

#1,959  
No codes here Kyle but I don't want my Granddaughter slipping through.

Brandi the pinch points will go away when I fill the area between the floor and the rail...I am thinking of a peeled vine in there.

Srs, yes it has made the main floor warmer. But when I skirt those trusses it will block most of the benefit, so I think it's time to cut vents in the floor of all rooms. That way the staircase can be the cold air return to the basement.

#1,960  
No codes here Kyle but I don't want my Granddaughter slipping through.

Brandi the pinch points will go away when I fill the area between the floor and the rail...I am thinking of a peeled vine in there.

Srs, yes it has made the main floor warmer. But when I skirt those trusses it will block most of the benefit, so I think it's time to cut vents in the floor of all rooms. That way the staircase can be the cold air return to the basement.