/ The Log house Project begins........
#1,991  
Park & walk:
SnowdumpJan2013019_zpsda4e53b2.jpg

A nice day for a "hike":
SnowdumpJan2013020_zpsfea750f3.jpg

SnowdumpJan2013022_zps44ec9bcb.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,992  
Second way out could be a zip line, getting in would be a little trickier, maybe a jet pack, to go back up the zip line.:laughing: A ski lift would also work.:laughing: I live on a hill also, and feel your pain. Had to trade off my 4x4 dually, would not go up the drive. When the kids were young 1 and 4, we had a bad ice storm, we had to crawl up the hill on hands and knees, kids on our back. It looked like the forth of july, transformers were blowing in the city.
The cabin looks nice and cozy with all that snow.:thumbsup:

Dave

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,993  
Pretty crazy weather. The power stayed on at my place by some miracle. Gonna drive up saturday and check things out. That will be all I can do with one arm. Many years ago we had five inches in one day. Now that was a mess.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,994  
Wow! I have a neighbor who has a place up on a hill, when his drive way is too icy he parks at the bottom. To help him get up he put in a couple of 4x4's and put a rope between them to help him get up the hill.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,995  
Time for some clampon ice spikes for your boots. Or you could put some ice screws in your supermotard bike's tires.

Seriously, the picture of your home covered in snow looked like a post card, it'll be a good day when you can just stay inside and sit out the weather instead of going outside and fighting it. Sorry for your troubles. What is knocking the fence down? Is it the trash? Or just fast flowing water?

#1,996  
Dr Dave...sell the 4x4 Dually??? They will have to pry it from my cold..... dead..... hands:laughing: We don't get ice often & a walk in the snow is actually enjoyable.

FB the Kodiak managed it pretty good but it never completly sheeted over solid. If that happens we will just take the trail through the woods...plenty of trees to use for grab handles.

Kyle it's both the water flow and the debris, lot's of logs & limbs but what brings down the wire is leaves & grass. I'll shoot some pic's today, but it wraps around the wire then builds up....sometimes over 20' long, then the drag of it pulls on the wire breaking insulators as it goes. Looks like a giant hairy pool noodle & violently shaking the wire gets most of it off, but if it freezes that you have to whack it with a big stick to break it away. I only string two slick aluminium wires so they are easily recovered & repaired. The lifespan of a plastic T-post insulator along the creek is rather short though.

I do grumble about it in the winter, but I would not trade my creek for anything. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. The floods do have a beneficial side, free fertilizer and seeds all the way from Virginia:) It's alive all the time, always changing and carving on the land. Every season brings new gravel bars, gnarled drift wood, calm pools & rushing bottle necks. Otters, beavers, trout, crawdads and everything in-between. Kids big & small never seem to get bored, walking, swimming, exploring, fishing. We sat on the porch during the tail end of the snow dump watching it rush by full on, roaring on it's way to Clinch River, then Norris Lake......it's a awesome thing to have at our feet:drink:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1,997  
But you are not having livestock issues? They are staying in the boundary with the fences down? that is the part I hate the most about mother nature. I can deal with the fences but managing free range stock is a royal PITA.

#1,999  
Holeey....where the heck is that...Siberia?

Wood I swear the dumb cows are not so dumb. They can either hear or smell when the fence is off, then they just walk right through it any time it's off for more then a day. The Clydes won't come near it since I switched to a 6 joule charger even when it's off. So far only had to shoo one Hefer back in.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,000  
Rick,
Sorry to hear about the fence - twice!

Your house looks awesome in the snow, very picturesque.

When snow is in the forecast, I park a car on the street at the bottom of the hill that approaches our place. In the morning I trek through the woods to my car so I can get to work. I did this procedure for Thursday's storm. Friday morning when I arrived at my car, the doors were frozen shut. I couldn't open them without fear of damaging the door gaskets. So I stayed home Friday.

We had lots of rain here. Our pond was quite full.

Obed