The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#2,021  
Oh Dave....pull the engine? Mmmmmmmmmhhh, yes probably should/I agree. But, the thing was doing a heck of a job pushing 10,000lbs of "loaded" camper van while trying to burn coolant fluid in 4 out of 8 cylinders. I hope I don't regret it, but I already have the manifold & heads out. I think I found the problem...half of the manifold bolts were not tight. More than likely it does not even need a valve job, but they will get done because I want to replace the head gasket. One thing leads to another and based on time and $ one has to say "stop":laughing:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,022  
At least you found the source of your leak.:laughing:

Dave

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,023  
Was there no sign of coolant coming out of the exhaust? A head gasket leak would have surely shown that symptom. I would have the heads magna fluxed to be sure there isnt a crack while you have them out.

#2,025  
No there was never any white or black smoke. Nothing at cold start up but once warmed up if I held high rpm(3-3500) then let up quickly I could see a wisp of a puff of black, then it would go away as soon as the rpm's dropped.

I think it has several places leaking, valve guide seals, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket & a rear main that may only be leaking under load. I think the CAT has been catching most of that oil that was getting past the valves so I will have to take a look at it too.

Plans are to magnaflux, but they might change pending funds. I second guess myself about the heads since the compression is great so I might just check the bolt torque on them and do a top end gasket set & valve guide seals. Thinking about it yesterday, if I decide to do the heads then Dave is right, might as well pull the whole dang engine since everything except the water pump has to come off the front of the engine anyway. Keep in mind it was a $3200 van and it has some rust issues so I have to be careful about how expensive the lipstick is that I am going to slap on this pig:laughing:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,026  
Keep in mind it was a $3200 van and it has some rust issues so I have to be careful about how expensive the lipstick is that I am going to slap on this pig:laughing:
Rick,
Whitewash is cheaper than lipstick.:laughing:
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,027  
Man we thought we had a lot of water, my heart goes out to you. Just shows how little control we have of Mother Nature, she is still the boss, and we have to march to her beat. Good luck with your project

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,028  
Wondering if the new vent holes have improver the heating in the cabin? Tony

#2,029  
Triangel we have been through Fargo & West of Winnipeg when it was all under water. It's way worse up in your end of the continent as far as duration. At lest here it goes up then drops down quickly , the water here has no other place to go due to the steep ridges so it's kinda a way of life. I guess being raised in New Orleans makes me kinda immune:laughing:

Tony it's hard to say since it has warmed up a bit(although it was 24 here this AM). The basement feels a bit cooler but I am not noticing a big difference on the main floor. I think I need to do a test of the air currents now & see how/where the cold air is returning to the basement. I knew this whole heating from the basement would require some modifications so I am trying go slow. I kinda wish I had several thermometers hooked up all over the house/basement tied to the computer so I could track & log the changes.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,030  
I wish I had further suggestions, but the small fan on the floor, not blowing very hard , made a big difference on our very small stove-wood burner...I would imagine the new staircase is letting the colder air drop, but the rising warmer air is probably using the same opening. Does not make a lot of sense but that is what happens in our cabin. Tony