Page 213 of 229 FirstFirst ... 113163203210211212213214215216223 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2288
    Tractor
    2008 Kubota L3400

Rick, it's been a great journey. Thanks for sharing. I'm at the beginning line on mine and its going to be a long haul, but I'm hoping to enjoy it as much as you have. I'll have to refer back at times for moral support I'm sure.

Bo Fuller

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing"

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Default Re: The Log house Project begins........

Guys & Gals, I have so much catching up to do here on 100 ac it's just one continuous chase of the tail For example I am only 12 or so cords of firewood behind already I appreciate all the compliments and support from every member here, it was all a integral part of this build.

PA, it might have been you, I didn't go back and re-read the threads but someone suggested that the roof was externally leaking at the transition from roof to porch. I dismissed(NO WAY RIGHT???) that until a couple of months ago I went out there during a good storm...yep leaking in 5 different locations Only the back porch, not a drop leaking on the front even though they were both done identically....hmmmm.

So up on the roof I went barefooted for more traction and no safety harness since there was nothing to "tie into". I could have sworn I caulked the transition overlaps with silicone...but was doubting myself at this point. I unscrewed the roof over each joint of transition metal and found them all properly caulked with clear silicone(maybe that the problem, I should have used something else?). I cleaned all the old stuff off and re-caulked. I see the potential at each end where the transition metal runs under the gable trim for water to get under there and then run back along under the seam, so I even caulked under this location too. Next big rain and I still have one very small leak 4' in from the East end so I will have to go back up and re-do that whole area.

For the life of me I can't figure out what I did wrong since the front side has been leak free. And on top of all this I am pretty darn sure this is a separate issue from the condensation leak(s) so I still have to modify the gable ends with more vents. Scaffolding is already back up, so that will be taking place very soon. Then I will have to wait patiently until winter to test it. In the mean time I have decided to ditch the Propane fireplace and antique surround. I have always envisioned a river rock hearth in that corner, and by golly that's what is going to go in there I found out real quick that propane makes you lazy and it ain't cheap, so I think another smaller wood stove is in order in Soapstone of course.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Rick,

On the leak at the transition seam, is it possible that wind is blowing the water into that? That could be one difference between the two sides of the roof.

I watched a strong wind in a heavy rain blow rain water up a 4/12 roof valley on a house I owned years ago. Not just a little water either. That valley was open to the southwest, the usual wind direction there.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota L5740

M7 how about a complete pictorial of the finished product? I have followed the thread from thew beginning but you have so many good ideas it is hard to see them all....

Larry
    Kubota L5740 La854
    MF 35 Deluxe gas wloader...For sale

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Dave I thought about that, but the times it leaked the water was coming straight down hard and not blowing. I still think I am going to add and additional 10" of flashing under the existing 6" transition overlap which will give me somewhere around a 12" overlap onto the porch roof. What's really funny(unusual funny, not haha funny) is that the front porch roof is 6" less in pitch....more flat then the rear porch, same 6" transition overlap and never leaked.

Larry, I will do a final pictorial, but I want to get it all done, especially on the outside....hopefully in the next couple of months.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3032E

WOW
    I too stumble onto this thread last week and had to read the whole thing

M7 your talents can not be overlooked
    you are a craftsman that I could only one day wish to be
    Now I can fix things and have my own projects but you must have some everyready bunny in you

Thanks for posting this thread to its fullest as it helps one get motivated to finish the little things and a kick in the ***** to start the big ones

Now i'm off to read about your barn build

Cheers

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3032E

WOW
    I too stumble onto this thread last week and had to read the whole thing

M7 your talents can not be overlooked
    you are a craftsman that I could only one day wish to be
    Now I can fix things and have my own projects but you must have some everyready bunny in you

Thanks for posting this thread to its fullest as it helps one get motivated to finish the little things and a kick in the ***** to start the big ones

Now i'm off to read about your barn build

Cheers

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Thanks Belt....had the gutter guy here day before yesterday to install a 44' gutter across the front porch roof. I finally moved all the piles of unused lumber, graded the area with my box blade and put down 6 tons of crusher run. At the same time I had my neighbor(a logger) over with his JD 650 Dozer to push a 'wheeler trail from the east side of the house 1600' down to the holler where the spring is located. From there trails tie into the foot bridge over the creek and then over to swimming hole. Les is happy happy happy that she can now hike to the swimming hole without going through the jungle.

Starting on the basement wall insulation/stucco soon...pic's to follow.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

A quick update. I needed to get scaffolding up on the East side to pressure wash, then re-seal the gable & logs. Hard to do with a very uneven ground sloping from level to a 12' drop in 30'. The solution was to build a deck, so I opted for a six footer. U usually don't like 6' wide decks because they are just too small to have a table and chair, but since we already have plenty of larger decks I figure this is ok.

I know many will cringe, but the fill dirt on this side has only settled for less then a year. So, I dug 2' in diameter x 1.5' deep bowl shaped holes which I filled with concrete. The 6x6 post will sit right on top of the 'crete. I know this will continue to settle for at least a couple of years, so this way I can jack up the deck and place shims under the posts. I dug the holes and poured 'crete yesterday, then completed 30' of deck today. The end post is 6x6x16' tall(& wet) and was a bear to get in place by myself.

the two ends are up and string line set:

2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

And the deck appears:

I am building a hinged cover for the propane regulator and instant hot water heater. This deck is lower than both the rear & front, so there will be a step down to it. Eventually I will ad a two landing stair case to get to the rear basement walk out door, and a platform for the hot tub.

Next is insulating the two exposed basement walls and stucco-ing them.....more to follow.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Page 213 of 229 FirstFirst ... 113163203210211212213214215216223 ... LastLast