The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,131  
Rick,
As usual..................job well done!
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,132  
Yup....should have made it wider since you are going through the trouble but it's all good. I really wanted to comment about your camera or my computer screen. The last 2 pics look as though your block wall is gone and there is a crawl space under the house now. :eek: :laughing:

/ The Log house Project begins........
#2,133  
Yeah, I'm not crazy about 6' foot decks, but it does give us the 360 effect and I will add another deck of fof it for the hot tub and her garden stuff...so it will work out ok.

I tied it in into the front porch:
eastdeck004-1.jpg

eastdeck002-1.jpg

then tied it into the North(creekside):
eastdeck001.jpg

eastdeck005-1.jpg

I just need to put up the railings and this one is DONE!

#2,134  
What is odd is that Les came in one day and said she wanted a screen door on the front(porthole) door. I did a Tim Allen grunt......why would you want a screen door there...we have (3) double French doors with screens wrapping around two sides???? She said there is usually a breeze from the South side(front porch)...another grunt...that's odd...there is nothing but jungle and ridge on that side....hmmmmm.

Darned if she was not right, and especially the last few days working on the East deck...lot's of "air" coming from the south and Southeast. Soooo a custom screen door is in the "que"....{sigh}

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,135  
Although we had a rather cool and wet summer, I wondered how your second floor room worked out on hot days? and further if you figured the leak out? such as " did it leak this summer" or is a condensation problem. As usual you are quite the craftsman. Thanks. Tony

#2,136  
Oh, yeah,,,it leaked. I found the problem...the sccchstuped transition metal between the roof & porch roof. Instead of a continuous roll, it's in 10' sections. Even though I sealed each overlap(most were 12" plus) they started leaking front and back. I took them all apart, removed the silicone and re-sealed, then....yep, still have one leak front and back. Next move is to order a roll of flashing in the proper color and shove that up under the one that is now in place.

Since winter, we have had two straight weeks without rain...this week was one of them;( Aaaaand, several mornings that hit 57 degrees...in AUGUST...global warming my arse..........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,137  
Rick, The cool air, created by tree shading and evaporation, could be "draining" off the ridge down to your house.

Glad to hear your roof mystery is resolved.

#2,138  
Dave, I thought all along it was "sweat", but nope...when it rains ...well...it pours.

Also, on another subject. Some of you might remember the debate I had raging in my pea brain about running a line to the spring or drilling a well? We drilled a well, and a few weeks ago Les went down to the spring...yep...dried up. This is the first time in 12 years of owning it that it stopped flowing. Odd that it did this when we were having the wettest spring summer many here can remember. All that water must have broke through another underground cave and taken a detour. We are sure glad to have the well..."knock on PT deck wood":thumbsup:

#2,139  
Dave, I thought all along it was "sweat", but nope...when it rains ...well...it pours.

Also, on another subject. Some of you might remember the debate I had raging in my pea brain about running a line to the spring or drilling a well? We drilled a well, and a few weeks ago Les went down to the spring...yep...dried up. This is the first time in 12 years of owning it that it stopped flowing. Odd that it did this when we were having the wettest spring summer many here can remember. All that water must have broke through another underground cave and taken a detour. We are sure glad to have the well..."knock on PT deck wood":thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,140  

Don't feel bad. I think we all thought it was sweat/condensation. We may not have agreed on the source, and certainly not on the cure :laughing:, but we all pretty much thought that.

Sorry about the spring. Maybe your well is pulling from the same vein of water? It is an odd year for a spring to dry up so it probably was re-routed somehow.

Also, the deck looks nice and will give easy access to your walls for maintenance.

Last edited: