The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,281  
I don't see any issue with air flow through the purlins and R panels. What I haven't seen is any soffit vents and ridge vents to pulle the air from the bottom to the top. Air flow is all you are after, but there has to be a start and and end to get it going. Having smaller openings just creats a venturi effect and should speed up the air going through those areas. In theory, it might even help by having bigger and smaller openings. Either way, I don't see a problem with the way the roof is built. I just don't see how air is getting in and out of the space?

Again... Be very careful of over thinking, over engineering and over doing a fix. The easiest isn't always the best, but the most complicated and expensive never is the answer either. Keep it simple and stick with what is proven to work. Either create proper air flow or seal the space.

There are lots of types of foam out there and the goal isn't to get an air tight seal, just to eliminate the vast majority of the air space so there is less volume of air in the cavity, resulting in less moisture that the air can create condensation.

Eddie
Eddie is spot on with his advice. Soffits with vents, or fill the outer voids edges with expanding foam. Foam is toxic to rodents, BTW...bugs and mice hate it.

/ The Log house Project begins........
#2,282  
Jix, there is no place for a soffit...1.5" decking, 3" of styrofoam, purlins then metal. Air movement is completely at the mercy of the raised ridges in the metal and the very small space under the ridge cap.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,283  
The theory with the pail or box is that the heavy cold air will stay in the container ( not rise) and restrict the flow of cold air in except what is drawn in by the stove.

#2,284  
Thanks Bill .......sounds like the way I need to do mine.

#2,285  
I think Billrog gets the cookie. Since I installed the 6" outdoor air kit on the furnace all interior and exterior dripping has stopped. The furnace runs much better and there is no more smouldering when the house is at the set temperature on the thermostat. I will say that unit is too big for my house and will overheat once at temp if I load much more than two splits at a time. And even then we can get up to 75 degrees at that.

Anyway, Les takes a lot of pictures, this is that one in a thousand that came out really perfect....I call it, "Three Dog Day":
Three%20Dog%20Day%202.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,286  
Glad you are having better results. You need to harness those dogs to pull a sleigh. :)

#2,287  
They are certainly loving this 2' of snow. It's the most snow we have seen in 8 years and it has lasted longer than all our other snows put together. We have been using the UTV and ATV to get back and forth up the driveway. Even had a couple of days that those machines could not make it, so we had to hoof it back & forth. All in all we have really enjoyed this unusual dump of white stuff!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,288  
MotorSeven I'm happy to hear that worked for you. Other than turn the draft down very low ( which will create creosote) I also control the heat in my shop by just loading less in the stove at a time.
Toughs dogs sure do look like their enjoying the snow. Nice looking home and lots of fire wood :thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,289  
In case I missed this in your thread I am sorry, What do you use to treat preserve the outside of your cabin? I am trying to find something I can put on cedar to keep it looking fresh and not turning gray,