The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
#2,291  
Yikes...Marine Spar Varnish?.....sorry jix, but that would be my last choice....the stuff requires sanding and re-coating frequently and tends to peel off once it gets compromised.

I went with Nature's Edge.....if I remember correctly it was the translucent "Natural" color:
Log Home Stain | Nature's Edge Wood Finish 5 Gallon

This is a penetrating stain which does not build up a coating on the surface of the wood. I am trying to avoid those types of stain which after a few years just start peeling off. So far the Nature's edge is preforming very well....no flaking anywhere. Any wood stain is always going to require more maintenance than paint, so I hope to pressure wash and re-coat every 4-5 years...that would make me happy.

My buddy went with the top of the line Perma-Chink on his White Cedar Log house that was finished 6 months before mine was. He has had the builder out twice already in 3 years to re-do the stain because it is just flaking off in many places. I was over there last week and yep, it's coming off again.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,292  
I recently used Sherwin Williams Deckscapes on about 300 feet of cedar fence. It is oil based and 1 year later it still looks like the day I put it on.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,293  
I'm not an expert, but I've lived in a log home for 4.5 years now. The home was finished in late 2000. The previous owner (who had the home built) passed away so I couldn't ask him any questions, but I think he used some sort of latex stain on our place. It might have been PermaChink as it does leave a "film" on the wood (which is one of their selling points). The finish was in pretty bad shape, so last July my BIL and me cleaned, power washed and stained the place with Lovitt's stain. I'm pretty happy with the results. Back in March, we did the garage with the same stuff.

Years ago I put CWF (I think) on a cedar fence I put up. We moved about 3 years later, but it still looked great! When I used to drive by the house, I would look at the fence and it appeared to hold up pretty well over the years.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,294  
Motor Seven,

It's been a couple years, how's it going with the log home?
Anything new?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,295  
I'm curious too. How about some more pictures. The last on with the snow was amazing.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,296  
Hey Rick,
How is your recovery coming along?
hugs, Brandi

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,297  
I'm too lazy to read these 230 pages so I'll just kick in that I built a homemade log cabin in 1979-80. We raised our three sons here and continue our senior years here back in the woods of eastern Kentucky. I built it from scratch, not a kit. The old part of my 2 story house has the equivalent of 300ea., 16' logs that were sized as 8.5" small end, 11.5 large end.
My logs came from an even age stand of hard Yellow Pines not so common in this area. These were planted by an early CCC camp. I peeled them all with a draw knife.
My "new part" is a great room built in 2005-6 as a true timber frame with log siding in & out. Entry was created via chainsaw taken to two window edges and a step down into the new room. Another window became a doorway onto a deck built around a large tree that's new room length. It has a glassed end toward the woods and 8 double hung windows. In the beginning all doors were made by yours truly as was the 2x6 T&G ceilings in both rooms and wall paneling on partition walls. As light is hard to get into log homes I switched a few doors later for manufactured French doors. My home has zero drywall. All furniture except some upholstered is from my lifelong wood working. Floors are all wide board oak done by self.
Spar varnish is an extremely!!! poor choice for a log home outer coating, no matter what climate-that's a fact! Inside on my hand peeled walls varnish is fine. I sprayed 32 gallons of varnish on the ceilings and walls of our original old house.
There are choices for finishes and my favorite is not a typical log home choice. The best I have used over the years is Cabots Australian Timber Oil, hands down. It gives the look I like , easy to apply (well sort of) and lasts well.
One of the realities of a log cabin is finishes that need redone fairly often. In our humidity the need is a bit different than the Rocky mtns..
I'll post some pics later.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,298  
Love to hear about it but really you should start a New thread vs. piggy backing on this older thread... no problem with it, just you'll get more readers about it...:2cents:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #2,299  
I was involved with reading search results for FEL bucket forks and stumbled onto this thread.

/ The Log house Project begins........
#2,300  
Hey gang, I'm still around, just don't spend too much time on TBN now...too busy with a zillion other projects while traveling a bit and doing a lot of cross country motorcycle riding.

Bo, I almost have the root cellar finished(I know, I know, Lesley has been giving me heck). I used 12' yellow Poplar logs and it came out pretty good. Still have to build a door((3x6 cedar plank) and enclose the gables. Photo's to follow.

Eddie, here is a teaser.....guess where we were for 3 weeks in Sept?

20170908_120534.jpg

20170912_094816.jpg

and the new to me bike:

20170531_124558.jpg

Brandi, it's been so long...my ACC injury?

Bulldog%20Flip%20091.jpg

all healed up.........Had two carpal tunnels and an elbow fixed to....!

Kantukid...post up some pic's!