The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
"Would the 1" EMT be for an outside air source? If so, I wouldn't think it would be near big enough."

It should be as the primary on the stove is about 1.5", and the secondary burn tube is a 1". Remember this is a supplemental line, not the sole source of return air.

Tony, a agree and we have discussed adding a window unit or two if needed. Somebody here at the house mentioned those split units to me a month or so ago...they sound like they are easy to install and unobtrusive. I have never seen one operate and I understand they are very popular in europe.
I have to wait and see how the bathroom lays out, might not have much room for a baseboard unit. We have two of those Pelonis cube heaters we use now. One in the bathroom, the other heats the whole 450sq ft apt all winter long. So we might just throw a Pelonis in the bathroom.

"You're moving along faster than most of my projects."

Iplay, my friends have said the same thing, and I am "on schedule" to be dried in by Nov 1, but I feel like I am moving at a snails pace. My wrists & elbows are giving me fits and causing my hands to go numb, so I have to work slower and different to compensate.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #472  
RoofDecking046.jpg

I put the little good luck cedar tree up after I drove the last 3/8th's x 12" lag screw into the rafters(man what a chore):
RoofDecking047.jpg

Steak and 'taters tonight!

MotorSeven, this has been fun to follow. Glad to see the good luck cedar picture! I don't know why that strikes me so well, but it really seems fitting. Also, I'll bet you really had a sense of satisfaction once it was up.

Continued good wishes for success!

GGB

/ The Log house Project begins........ #473  
The split units we have are LG ...and you are right about the ease of installing them....I had a a/c guy do it, but watched closely...The outside units are rather small and thin, and the refrigerant and return are like any other...I would suggest to you that you plan now on where one would go, or two, and make arrangements for the tubing, with the rubber insulation (no mort than a couple of inches -maybe three....They don`t take much electricity,so a smallish wire....They are very quiet, and for me by far the best way to go..due to the heavy walls etc....It didn`t take the installer and his son more than five hours from start to finish.....The a/c unit in the window was by far the cheapest and it was only five thousand units, but the noise would get on your nerves after a few hours...Worth it though :).....I use the little cubes also--noisy but quick and the quick is what I want....Tony

GGB, there must be something to it. I was on the roof for 10 hrs yesterday putting tar paper down(not an easy job by yourself on a 10/12 pitch). Anyway, some time in the morning I knocked the tree off then decided to leave it off until I got the paper wrapped over the ridge. Well, the rest of the day was the worst for me so far on the build....endless tangling of the ropes and harness line, hauled a roll of felt up to the peak and when I set it down ...off it went, down the other side and half way to the creek, dropped the razor knife(it landed within 1' of the felt), whacked my finger countless times(New Bumper sticker: I HATE TIN TABS), the ladder footing dirt gave way and it almost barrel rolled, ended up short 2 rolls of felt & sent the wife in to get more,.....and the best.... darkness caught me, so I was hammering in tin tabs by tractor and wheeler headlights!

But, it's drizzling right now and I am smiling:)

Sooooo, the tree goes back up this morning first thing!!!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #475  
seems like someone is taking a few days off... once the tar paper was on, no more posts.. Well deserved rest... get it closed in before winter gets here and you'll have peace of mind..

/ The Log house Project begins........ #476  
I would say that he is waiting on the insulation and the tin. A few days off is a good thing.

I would say that he is waiting on the insulation and the tin. A few days off is a good thing.

Yes...I did...I admit it...I took a day off:ashamed:. Heck it rained a whole day, then cleared off kinda so I just went up there and blew all the leaves out of the house and organized things. The next day it rained on and off all day, but I had a friend stop on his way to AZ. I sold him my truck camper to help pay for the house and we spent all day working on his rig: welding on a second receiver for a 48" hitch extension(my camper was 11.5' long), wiring his truck, swapping/off loading his old camper then re loading his trailer. We hit several snags....his Ford Dually's springs were completely flat when he got here with his old camper on and it only had 3K lbs on it(mine weighs 4K+). There was a lot of speculation and scratching of the head....it was too late to go get air bags of helper springs, so he took off at midnight with fingers crossed.

Soooo, the sale of the camper will pay for my basement slab and the roof tin. The '68 Chevy Short Stepside and pontoon boat are next on the chopping block(ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

I spent all day yesterday on the Kioti in my basement boxblading out dirt as I am 6" high in places. The slate is so hard that I had to use the rippers. Pic's to follow..............

/ The Log house Project begins........ #478  
Rick,
Looking mighty good. You might have mentioned it, but I slept since then.... .....what color will the roof tin be?
hugs, Brandi

Rick,
Looking mighty good. You might have mentioned it, but I slept since then.... .....what color will the roof tin be?
hugs, Brandi

That there is still under debate.....she is leaning towards some shade of brown. The windows and doors are Desert Sand, so a tan or brown will go fine. On the last house I had a light tan, but the stove flue really stained it, so I am thinking something a little darker.

Ok, I know y'all think I have been slacking, but on one of those "days off" I drove to Nashville to get the 4" Styrofoam boards....70 of them. I didn't want to tow a trailer, so I put the "Back Porch" on the truck(a 6x7' hitch extension that I built for another project). All the foam fit, but I ended up being one of "those guys" on the interstate.....you know the one's you look at and shake your head? Driving 55 mph in a 70, not a chance of seeing a tail or brake light....a wee little home depot red flag to "alert" drivers not to smack into my barrier of foam:ashamed: But, I made it 8 hrs without incident:thumbsup:
RoofFoamBasementwork001.jpg

RoofFoamBasementwork003.jpg

RoofFoamBasementwork002.jpg

Finally a whole day on the TRACTOR! My basement was a mess. I had 6-7" of slate high in places so I had to boxblade it out of there. It took some time, me and Manual had to use a pick ax & shovel in places. Manual's full name is Manual Labor...he looks exactly like me except he has a Spanish accent. If you look close you can see the red laser line on the temp post and floor:
RoofFoamBasementwork006.jpg

I did pour the pillar support for the roof ridge support, then scraped and scraped to get the basement somewhat level to the footers:
RoofFoamBasementwork005.jpg

I found a Kioti in my basement!
RoofFoamBasementwork009.jpg

Dragging the slate out:
RoofFoamBasementwork008.jpg