The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
You ran your felt paper vertically ?

Yep, working alone has it's disadvantages, vertical runs were doable. It's really more of a vapor barrier than waterproofing. I have a lot of tin down on sheds and barns, no felt, just purlins every 3-4'....zero leaks.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #532  
Yep, working alone has it's disadvantages, vertical runs were doable. It's really more of a vapor barrier than waterproofing. I have a lot of tin down on sheds and barns, no felt, just purlins every 3-4'....zero leaks.

With the steep slope, any water/moisture that gets under the tin will be running pretty much straight down so vertical runs on tar paper works. I might be more concerned if the roof was flatter...

I got one side of the roof done with foam board..it went slow, but well:
Foamboard003.jpg

Foamboard001.jpg

Then the roof arrived!!!:
Foamboard009.jpg

And right after that 23 tons of #57 rock arrived:
Foamboard004.jpg

Foamboard005.jpg

And the 12' "Chasm of Death" is finally covered up:
Foamboard006.jpg

Last edited:
A good friend and fellow TBN member(TNMike) stopped by a couple of days ago. He does a lot of forge work as a hobby, and has made some fantastic hatchets, axes, knives & tomahawks, etc. While he was looking at the progress I asked if he could forge up strap hinges for the front door. I am going to build it out of oak that I milled, sticker-ed and stacked in a shed about 3 years ago. The rough opening is 40", so the door is going to be heavy.

We scratched out some ideas on paper and decided on 32-24" straps w/hinges with matching false straps on the opposite(outside) of the door. Today he sent a picture of the first one that he has hammered out.....it's outstanding:
Hinge2.jpg

I can't wait to get the door built and show these off...amazing work:thumbsup:

/ The Log house Project begins........ #537  
The place is looking so awesome. I can' wait to see that front door!
Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get my permit. :(

/ The Log house Project begins........ #538  
Sure does make me wonder how you could be where you are without your tractor?

Eddie

Sure does make me wonder how you could be where you are without your tractor?

Eddie

Ain't it the truth?

-since my sawmill is all manual I use it to load and off load logs/boards
-turning(on the mill) the monster 24-28" diameter x 25' long Hemlock logs that were made into my rafters
-transporting the lumber/logs up to the house on the forks(about a half a mile trip)
-maintaining the 1/3 mile driveway
-moving/shaping the ground/gravel in the basement and around the house
-lifting heavy logs up onto the house wall
-attaching the Man Lift to the forks for various tasks that gives me a stable large work platform
-pulling loaded trailers to and from the house site(way easier to turn around in tight quarters)
-drilling holes for porch supports

Off the top of my head this is a partial list...it goes on and on. The tractor has shaved off at least 6 months of work for me and counting...not to mention avoided a few herniated discs, torn rota-tor cuffs, hernia's and other related injuries to moving big heavy things without help:thumbsup:

All the foam is up. I have a neighbor coming on Tue with his construction crew of (3) to help me hang the steel. I have to say when that is done I am going to kiss the Tera firma and have a shot of Jack..........................3 weeks on that roof is enough!