The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........
Yes Brandi, it is. I'll shoot some more pic'e tomorrow when the sun is up. The one's above were taken an hr before sunset.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #552  
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Lookin Good!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #553  
Lookin good. So how many shots was it?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #554  
What a great color for the roof! It looks just right to me, and isn't shiny like some I've seen.

Have you made a decision on the stain yet? I don't have a log home, but do have cedar siding with some rough cedar posts and railing, and have been pretty happy with Penofin Ultra stain. It really goes on well, seems to penetrate very well, but it looks like I'll still need to redo about every third or fourth year to keep everything looking good.

Hope by now you've had that shot of Jack!

Mike, Nope...no shots yet, the job ain't finished. Today the bottle goes up to the house site with me.

GGb, it is a metal flake almost pearl like finish. And when the sun is on it just right it is shiny which is why I initially not too crazy about it.

This Penofin? Penofin Red Label Wood Finish - 5 Gallon

3-4 years is a pretty good re-application time... as long as you can just re-apply without extensive stripping. Does it soak in? I don't want anything that leaves a "coat" that can/will later peel.

FB, it's just a wee bit shy of a 10/12.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #557  
M7, yes, that's the Penofin we use. That was the recommendation from the specialty wood supplier where all our cedar siding and interior and exterior cedar posts came from. Unfortunately, they are now out of business, but this spring found that our local Sutherland's store has it for around $37 per gallon. I haven't checked with them for a price on the 5 gallon cans, but expect it might even be less expensive.

I haven't seen any evidence of peeling. The label states not to use more than one coat per application, which seems to be the norm with most of these products.

Before taking my word for it, you might want to check with what Consumer Reports showed. I don't recall the top rated stains off the top of my head. Unfortunately, Penofin was not part of the testing, but I've been pleased with our results.

By the way, if you do decide on Penofin, do stay away from the new synthetic versions which were supposedly made for the California market. One paint store owner told me that they had very poor experiences with that product.

As always, good luck.

GGB, thanks for the info. Belive it or not, LogFinish.com sent me a sample of Natures Edge is 24 hrs. In this day and age of almost zero customer support I will look at their product very closely. I will post the sample photo's asap.

Btw..the roof is DONE....let it rain....or snow...or whatever!!!

No Jack to be found, but George W. Dickel Cascade Hollow Sour Mash is a fine substitute!!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #560  
Congratulations on getting the roof finished! A very good time to get it done, if you get the rain we're getting now in a day or two.

George Dickel still works for me-as much as I like Mr. Jack, I'm enjoying a bit of Maker's Mark this evening. There are so many good whiskers, bourbons and scotches out there to enjoy.

Maybe stains are a little like that-competition does improve the products, or at least the poor ones don't stay in business, especially in this economy. If nothing else good has come out of this, customer service seems much improved from before the downturn.

Keep us posted on how the stain samples work.