The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #71  
I'd fill em in. Peace of mind = priceless.

/ The Log house Project begins........
I am also kicking around pouring a cap all the way around with rebar in it. I seems to me that it would make the wall a lot stonger that just filling it.

As far as mixing it myself...been there done that. At $100 a yard & $5 extra a yard for the pumper, it just doesn't make sense to do it all manually....that is if I have enough $ to do it.

RD

/ The Log house Project begins........ #73  
Don't forget the J bolts when you pour the blocks. That way you can bolt your seal plate to the top of the walls. Go ahead and put two nuts on the bolts and wrap them with masking tape to keep the concrete off the threads.

Chris

/ The Log house Project begins........ #74  
Shallow frost line, little or no backfill on 3 sides,plus 12" blocks. Don't slug the blocks, you'll just be throwing money away. There are millions of block basements that have never had problems. Poured walls only became commonplace here in northern IL in the past 20 years, and they're not without problems either. Where some people get in trouble with blocks is backfilling before the house is framed up. You usually need the weight of the house sitting on the blocks to safely backfill. Doesn't look like you have much over dig so you're probably ok. Another no-no is is running a tractor or crawler on the fill to compact it.
The retaining wall is a different story. It needs the poured cap to strengthen it since there is no structure on top of the blocks.

Eddie,
Sealing blocks is no big deal. There are different products ranging from brush on to spray on. The brush on stuff is a little better for blocks because it fills the pores in the block better. Its not a very enjoyable task though. One thing no one has mentioned is that tooled mortar joints are more waterproof than non-tooled joints. Some block layers want to only strike the joints that will be visible after backfilling.

RD,
Are you going to paint the exposed block with DryLock or equivalent? Or do you have other plans like stucco or cultured stone?

Keep the updates coming! It looks like a fun project.
Pops

I decided to go with this membrane....Platon. It comes in a 10'x65.5' roll, picked it up today. I also Black Jacked the bottom 2'....yuk:cool:. #57 gravel arrived today, Platon goes on tomorrow....pic's to follow.

Pops, I am going to stucco. The wife has this fantasy of doing real stone...but that may never happen...cost/time/etc. I am with her on one thing...the cultered stone just doesn't look right.

Platon - Foundations - Foundations - CertainTeed

I got the Platon attached yesterday....a time consuming job doing it by myself. I was up & down that 10' wall a few dozen times. Then in the trench...which made me nervous, even though the slate runs down into the cut bank at an angle. It's very stable, but a cave-in would be the end. Anyway, I put the perimeter drain in, then today used the Kioti to bucket 22 tons of #57 rock onto it. It's 1.5-2' deep on the cut bank & a foot or so on the other side which won't have as much backfill.
For the retainer wall around the driveway, I just used a 40 mil thick sheet visqueen against the bank.
My rib didn't appreciate the effort:(

Now, should I put down a weed block/mesh type material on top of the rock before backfilling?

Foundation062.jpg

Foundation063.jpg

Foundation066.jpg

Foundation068.jpg

RD

Oh, and work is done for the day...headed to the deer stand which I put in the middle of the new driveway. The deer seem to like the winter rye grass I planted to stop the erosion...:>!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #78  
Yes, you need to put landscape fabric on top of the gravel or dirt will infiltrate the gravel and stop up the drain pipe.

I put a french drain in above my barn and didn't put the fabric. In a few months the drain quit draining and I started back having the water problem.

Chris

/ The Log house Project begins........ #79  
I totally agree with firefighter, put the filter fabric in. Doesn't hurt to use two layers either. Keeps the backfill sediment from rinsing into your pipe.
Dave.

I totally agree with firefighter, put the filter fabric in. Doesn't hurt to use two layers either. Keeps the backfill sediment from rinsing into your pipe.
Dave.

10-4....I'll pick some mesh up this week!

RD