The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #961  
I know it would be kind of expensive, but I wonder how stainless wire or even tubing would work? The tubing would be a bit tougher to put in tension, but I think it would look nice and not rub off on you.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #962  
Purlins on top of the 2" High Density foam:
NorthPorch006-2.jpg

You may have mentioned this already... How much did you pay for the high density foam? I'm starting a project, and I about choked when I priced foam insulation.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #963  
Purlins on top of the 2" High Density foam:
NorthPorch006-2.jpg

You may have mentioned this already... How much did you pay for the high density foam? I'm starting a project, and I about choked when I priced foam insulation.

/ The Log house Project begins........

Craigslist....$6 a sheet. It came off a warehouse in central TN after tornadoes 2 years ago. The guy said that only one corner of a massive warehouse was actually damaged, but the insurance company wanted the whole roof replaced:confused: He bought it all...thousands of sheets and had been selling them on CL. These you see here were the last 56 sheets he had:thumbsup:
A month earlier I had bought the 3" styrofoam for my roof from him off a different warehouse for $8 a sheet, then called him back when I decided to insulate the porches.

Anyway it is high density and fiber faced on 2 sides. One side of the fiber is missing, torn or otherwise damaged due to that being the side the EDPM rubber roof was on. The other side is perfect, so I put that side down. I'm not sure why they but a fiber face on it, the stuff is water proof/vapor barrier anyway. Both 3" styrofoam and 2" High Density are both R12. The 2" HD stuff is over $40 a sheet new
buckwheat.jpg

The way I found it was by googling several different phrases:
styrofoam craigslist
foam board craigslist
insulation craigslist
foam craigslist
The more ways you can phrase it and search, the better opportunity to find what you are looking for.

A cordless sawsall with a long metal blade cuts the stuff like butter.

I know it would be kind of expensive, but I wonder how stainless wire or even tubing would work? The tubing would be a bit tougher to put in tension, but I think it would look nice and not rub off on you.

I would think SS would be expensive, and tubing would eventually crack/hold moisture and look bad. I really don't think it will be an ussue, you really have to hang onto it or rub it to get a transfer. Most folks won't be that close to the edge anyway.

So Obed, how many feet do you need?...I still have 600' left. PM me if you want.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #967  

Thanks for the info. I found a guy somewhat local selling factory seconds and overrun for about $13/sheet. That still beats $40, but I'd pay about $80 in fuel to go get it. I'll keep my eyes open for other deals. If I don't find anything cheaper by the time I need to insulate I may buy from him.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #968  
MotorSeven said:
Craigslist....$6 a sheet. It came off a warehouse in central TN after tornadoes 2 years ago. The guy said that only one corner of a massive warehouse was actually damaged, but the insurance company wanted the whole roof replaced:confused: He bought it all...thousands of sheets and had been selling them on CL. These you see here were the last 56 sheets he had:thumbsup:
A month earlier I had bought the 3" styrofoam for my roof from him off a different warehouse for $8 a sheet, then called him back when I decided to insulate the porches.

Anyway it is high density and fiber faced on 2 sides. One side of the fiber is missing, torn or otherwise damaged due to that being the side the EDPM rubber roof was on. The other side is perfect, so I put that side down. I'm not sure why they but a fiber face on it, the stuff is water proof/vapor barrier anyway. Both 3" styrofoam and 2" High Density are both R12. The 2" HD stuff is over $40 a sheet new

The way I found it was by googling several different phrases:
styrofoam craigslist
foam board craigslist
insulation craigslist
foam craigslist
The more ways you can phrase it and search, the better opportunity to find what you are looking for.

A cordless sawsall with a long metal blade cuts the stuff like butter.

The foam has a fiber face for various reasons but in roofing its to allow the different type of rubber roof materials to adhere to it.

The foam has a fiber face for various reasons but in roofing its to allow the different type of rubber roof materials to adhere to it.

Ahhh, thank you, that makes sense!

Today I set up the batter boxes for the front porch, then dug 6 24x12" deep bowl shaped holes for the piers:
SouthPorchfooters003.jpg

SouthPorchfooters004.jpg

Then went in about 150 lbs of concrete for each bowl:
SouthPorchfooters001.jpg

SouthPorchfooters002.jpg

All done:
SouthPorchfooters006.jpg

Tomorrow I will cut the 6x6 PT piers that the 6x6 cedar beam will sit on. Tin arrives tomorrow evening too....