The Log house Project begins........

/ The Log house Project begins........ #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
Since my tractor is an integral part of this whole project.....here it begins:

We have been living in a 500 sq ft apt in my 30x50 Arched steel building(yes there is a build thread on that) for over 2 years....it is TIME!

I had a local dozer guy push in a brand new road(1/3rd of a mile) up to the house site and dig my basement. My backhoe guy is coming on Tue to dig footers and we will start on the 12" block on Wed.

I bought a Woodmizer LT15 bandmill to saw my own logs for the house. I will be cutting/skidding/milling eastern red cedar for the house logs. I figure I need about 250 10' logs. The house will be 30x36 on a full basement.

I will update as it goes, but it may take 2 years....it's just me & the Misses doing 90% of the work.

Driveway:
Driveway2001.jpg

Driveway2004.jpg

Driveway2003.jpg

/ The Log house Project begins........ #3  
That's sure a beautiful piece of property you have there! :D It will be interesting to see your progress reports! That driveway looks like it'll be interesting in winter!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #4  
Looks GREAT!!

I want me a Wood-Mizer!!!

/ The Log house Project begins........ #5  
Sigh,much prettier road than mine!!! Love the river view,I have to walk a mile for one!!!! Good luck, you using your own trees?

/ The Log house Project begins........ #6  
Beautiful place!! The road looks awesome and you should be very proud of how well it turned out. I love the way it goes through your woods!!!

It will be fun to follow along with your build. It's the type of project that I've always dreamed about, but know that I'll never do. So many dreams, so little time. LOL

Eddie

/ The Log house Project begins........
Yes, I think I have enough ERC for the walls. If not, almost no cedar gets commercially cut here, so it is abundant.

C'mon Eddie.....you have come a long way since the "Shipping Container Era":D

And I came a long way from living in a 24' Class C motorhome in a county park for over 3 years after my big "D":) That was only a short 6 years ago.....my how time flys when you are starting from close to scratch!!

If you look right over the nose of the 4wheeler, you can see the Quonset hut we have been living in for over 2 years....it's TIME!

RD

/ The Log house Project begins........ #8  
Very nice building site. I'll bet the 4-wheeler is going to get some miles put on the next two years between the quonset hut and the house site.

Just from curiosity and no knowledge or preference, what led you to choose eastern red cedar, and what other local species might you have considered? Seems like the ERC would have some built in rot resistance and bug repellant going for it.

I have read comments about log houses have to be this wood or that, but it seems people use what's available locally, and if cared for, might not make a whole lot of difference.

Looking forward to watching your project grow.
Dave.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #9  
Looking forward to seeing the log milling operation. Nice looking road, does it have ditches?
I've milled some ERC with my chainsaw mill and it is tuff stuff once it's dry. The red middle won't take a nail for snot, cracks a lot. If your milling it at 6x6 or so it shouldn't be a problem. Please take lots of pics! I can host them if you need more space.

/ The Log house Project begins........ #10  
It should be a great project..

You've got a beautiful piece of land and a first class road for access.. Enjoy the work fully from start to finish, and may all your dreams come true!

I'm looking forward to following along.