New roof - Light or dark shingles

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #21  
Once my shingles are done we are going with steel. We've put steel on our outbuildings and it is great. No more shingles on this Ponderosa!

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #22  
I have been in the roofing industry for 15 years now. Lighter the better, reflects heat and will not absorb heat which will wear out faster. Want to replace your roof in 7 years, buy 25 year black shingles. Staples were outylawed here in Canada years ago. Shingles are old technology, but metal is thrice the price.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #23  
I've put a couple of rubber roofs on. It's the industry standard on commercial low slope roofs around here. It's incredible stuff but not really applicable to pitched residential roofs.

Metal roofing has come a long way in the last few years, alot of styles and colors to choose from, if your looking for something other than asphalt shingles.

JB.

Thanks for the info JB. The salesman said the roofs were really great as well. Our pitch is something like 1 to 12 or 1 to 16. It isn't much. Our big thing is we have to insulate the vaulted sections as all they have is a 3" thick piece of particle board (It acted as a roofing and ceiling material). And to add to the insult we have all sorts of edging that is impossible to flash. So far contractor have quoted us $15K for a 1700 sq ft house due to the labor involved...

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #25  
The number one enemy of a shingled roof is poor ventilation, esp on vaulted roofs. Vaulted roofs should have insullation trays installed prior to the actual insulation. Soffitts should be properly vented, gable vents are a big plus and an attic ventilator is an even bigger plus.

It gets so hot and humid here that 'continous soffitt' venting is common. Some even put ridge vents on along with gable vents. I am not a fan of ridge vents, unsightly and an avenue for water penetration. I do have continous venting in the flats of my soffitt, gable vents in every gable, one ventilator and I plan to install another next spring, R-39 insullation, and "reflecta shied" roof decking.

I have GP 30 year Onyx shingles, 5 years now, still look like new. I had the same shingle on my last house but it was build with no gable vents, not enought soffitt vents, and a ridge cap. The shingles were faded after 5 years and the new owners recently replaced the shingles, less than 15 years on a 30 year shingle. Fungus was a horrible problem on that house as well.

I just don't believe that you can too much attic ventilation, within reason.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #26  
Thanks for the info JB. The salesman said the roofs were really great as well. Our pitch is something like 1 to 12 or 1 to 16. It isn't much. Our big thing is we have to insulate the vaulted sections as all they have is a 3" thick piece of particle board (It acted as a roofing and ceiling material). And to add to the insult we have all sorts of edging that is impossible to flash. So far contractor have quoted us $15K for a 1700 sq ft house due to the labor involved...

The problem is the epdm is nothing to look at, just flat black rubber, but in your case if you can't see the roof, it might work out.

The incredible thing about all these new single ply materials is that they come in rolls as wide as 20' and 100' long so far less seams compared to other materials, did my old 3000 sq ft shop roof with only 5-6 seams. Also it's impermeable to water unlike asphalt shingles or rolled roofing. those attributes make it the first choice for flat (the proper term is low slope) roofs.

JB.

Attachments

• P4270482.JPG
    P4270482.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 371
   / New roof - Light or dark shingles #27  
The EPDM samples we have are colored. I have to find the brochure, they still weren't very pretty, but there was white, brown, silver and black as I remember.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #28  
we put a whit pvc roof on a roof at work and the surface was amazingly cooler than the black rubber roof beside it.

The only problem with you need a #10 welding shade to work up there in the summer with the reflection.

tom

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #29  
My experience is a lighter shingle will outlast a darker shingle.

/ New roof - Light or dark shingles #30  
I have heard of some car companies that will not warranty a black paint.