Fixing Ruts

/ Fixing Ruts #1  

farmboy12

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900 FEL; New Holland TC30 MMM; Ford 1620; Ford 1520 MMM; John Deere X740; John Deere 455 MMM; Craftsman 19.5hp;;;;; Antiques: 1946 John Deere B; 1951 John Deere MT; 1952 Allis Chalmers B; 1967 International 140
Well, as some of you know, I have a little S10 that I drive around the property. And if you're in my area, you'd know that it's been raining for almost a week straight. Well, I was doing a project my mom had to video tape of me driving, and when I went to spin the tires a little, that little bit that it usually does, really got down deep. Probably 5" or more. Now, I would usually use the York rake but I don't know if with this wet leaf/grass/dirt mixture if it would help or just make it worse. I'm not worried about the grass as much as just ridding of the ruts. And I'm not trying to hide it from my dad, he just likes to know that at least I tried to fix it.

Kyle

/ Fixing Ruts #2  
Hey Kyle
You may still take some heat from your Dad, just own up to it.

Anyhow, get the wheel barrow out. Shovel and rake. With the soaking rains, this isn't the time a tractor will likely be much help. Go out to a field or quality dirt pile and begin to haul it in. Fill the ruts, 5" you say?, by hand and be gentle. Don't make them any bigger. They will be fine. Go to the barn and get some clean straw and "bed" those patches with 2" of straw. Likely too late for seed to sprout, but just having the straw will make them look sooooo much better. Best Wishes

/ Fixing Ruts #3  
Yep as bp fick said also hand roller may help.

/ Fixing Ruts #4  
I find that just letting them dry out and then driving over them again will result in them flatening out. If you keep going through them and making them deeper and deeper, you will have to add dirt to them. In some areas, I create ruts because it's a low area and I need to build it up to fix the problem. More dirt is the only answer for these areas.

Another method, when I want to get it done faster, is to pull a drag behind my tractor. It dosn't work when it's wet out, but it's amazing when the soil is dry. I just pull it behind my tractor and it nocks down the high areas and carries the soil to the low areas.

Eddie

/ Fixing Ruts
Hey Kyle
You may still take some heat from your Dad, just own up to it.

Anyhow, get the wheel barrow out. Shovel and rake. With the soaking rains, this isn't the time a tractor will likely be much help. Go out to a field or quality dirt pile and begin to haul it in. Fill the ruts, 5" you say?, by hand and be gentle. Don't make them any bigger. They will be fine. Go to the barn and get some clean straw and "bed" those patches with 2" of straw. Likely too late for seed to sprout, but just having the straw will make them look sooooo much better. Best Wishes

Yep as bp fick said also hand roller may help.

I find that just letting them dry out and then driving over them again will result in them flatening out. If you keep going through them and making them deeper and deeper, you will have to add dirt to them. In some areas, I create ruts because it's a low area and I need to build it up to fix the problem. More dirt is the only answer for these areas.

Another method, when I want to get it done faster, is to pull a drag behind my tractor. It dosn't work when it's wet out, but it's amazing when the soil is dry. I just pull it behind my tractor and it nocks down the high areas and carries the soil to the low areas.

Eddie

Thanks for the help. Dad already found out, but luckily he had a little 20 year old half ton Chevy around the same property when he was my age, so it wasn't too bad. He's been there and knows it'll probable happen. Unfortunatly(fortunately?), I won't be here to do it until Sunday, so it may have a chance to dry out if the rain stops.

Eddie:
We have a drag similar to yours, and one a little smaller, and yes they do work good but the way this is laid out, I would be better off being able to drag and pick up, then back up, then do again, without hooking up the boom pole for 15 minutes of tractor work.

Again, thanks for the help.

Kyle

/ Fixing Ruts #6  
Sounds like the weather here. Its been raining i dont know how long and our road has LOTS of potholes. In the past I would hook my L118 to my little utility trailer and fill it with gravel. Then I would go to the certain hole, put out 2 traffic cones so oncoming drivers can see me, then shovel out the gravel into the holes and pack it down with my 10" back tires. It works pretty well but a few days later the road would have more holes in ot. My new time saver is my Yanmar, Boxblade and rear blade. It takes a lot less time and gives me seat time. I have been thinking about getting a roller for it to pack down the gravel when its smooth. In this area, the gravel is only movable in wet conditions. In the summer, it is as hard as pavement but in the fall, winter, and spring, it is nice and soft, making it very easy to grade. When I am in need of a FEL, I can go to the neighbors place and borrow his 4100 Deere. In fact, this weekend, I get to grade the road again. I cant wait for seat time. Sadly, Saturday is the only "dry" day in our forecast and tonight the snow level drops to 1500'. We might, just might get snow. I hope, that will give me more seat time.

/ Fixing Ruts #7  
We fixed a bunch on my neighbors property by using an atv with a disker. We let the area dry out and then just keep going over it, it worked pretty good.