fall project - post pounding - more paddocks

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hired the post pounder and local guy again to put some more paddocks in (take advantage of the good weather). I ran the Tractor, loaded posts, etc. Sam did the pounding. Day started a wee bit Frosty (-7) but got up to a Balmy 12 degrees (Tshirt weather). We pounded 92 posts in 8 hours. The Montana 5264 was the tow vehicle as you can see. We're pounding into Pure Blue Clay here (once you get past the 6" of topsoil.

Attachments

• November 2009 036.JPG
    November 2009 036.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 2,117
  • November 2009 038.JPG
    November 2009 038.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,520
  • November 2009 040.JPG
    November 2009 040.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,413
  • November 2009 042.JPG
    November 2009 042.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,080
   / fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #2  
Neat rig. Do the posts have a pointy bottom end?

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #3  
Do the posts come out as tight as when you use a PHD and tamper?

JB.

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks
hi Guys, yes I do sharpen the posts ( you can see a few in pic 2 i think), makes it easier to pound, you dont have to but they do go in better if you do.

They are solid as a rock once in, tighter than if you use a PHD and a Tamper.

Im told that they are less prone to heaving with Frost too....we'll see.

the speed of this process is great, you can do a post every 5 minutes start to finish.

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #5  
the speed of this process is great, you can do a post every 5 minutes start to finish.

You are good. I wish I had a side set up like that. My driver is 3PH so I have to back up to the post then move the tractor all around to get to the next post. In my sand I don't think I was doing 1 every 5min. In my clay and rock if it will go in it only goes about 1/8 - 1/4" per pound. That takes time. I am using 4x4s and not sharpening them.

Did that driver set up have hydraulics to tilt and move the whole thing back and forth to get the post lined up?

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks
Eric, yes, the pounder has all hydraulic controls:

the Pile Driver has Hydraulic tilt in 2 directions for leveling/perpendicular control
the Pile Driver moves sideways with hydraulics
the Trailer itsself has a hydraulic Tongue so it can move without the tractor for fine adjustments.

We did 90 in 8 hours, some are faster than others depending on how hard the clay is at any given spot.

shattered 2 posts in the process, 1 was just too thin and dry, the other had a fracture and some internal Rot.

we did that same rate this past june, 150+ in 12 hours.

it makes a big difference having 2 guys, especially when the other guy owns the Pounder and knows how to use it. its worth payng the hourly rate to have him operate it.

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #7  
Dave5264.....Wicked.!!!!

Feel the power.!!!!

Nice rig.

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #8  
Amazing looking critter for sure.

/ fall project - post pounding - more paddocks #9  
Dave, nice job. I've never seen that done with small posts. I bet those are stout when driven into blue clay. Sounds like you guys made good time as well.