Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #61  
I like it!!! I think I will try the same thing but use some extra aluminum sheets I have laying around. Then trim it out. I want mine to be pretty!

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport
I won't call mine pretty, but its working well. Snowing right now, and the pallet/shed is nice and dry, right by the front walk. Dont underestimate the plastic part - poly is cheap. No need to store the pallets under cover if they are covered.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #63  
I've just used two cord that was stacked on a "runner" to protect from the ground, And this wood has been covered completely with Polly for two years. No sign of early rot. nice and dry.I think it was nice and dry when covered. I think most depends on how wet it is when stacked and covered.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #64  
[QUOTE=I've been thinking about a new approach to seasoning/storing firewood, and this "pallet cube" idea has me intrigued.

I've been using the cubes for two years now and they're great!!
As I split the wood I stack it in a cube then use the tractor with forks to move it where it will sit for two years. I put a sacrificial pallet under it on the dirt.
I'm planning on reusing these for many years just have to keep them dry.
When empty I can take them apart and stack many of them in a pile that's only five foot high. In the spring I'm going to try bending up some rebar into a U shape to use for the sides with one strand of removable wire across the top. This should make things simpler to make. One 8 foot piece of rebar for each side. 40" high and 16"wide at top
After I load the cube. I use 1 strand of straightened plastic coated chainlink wire across the top to stop the side from spreading. I didn't do this when I first used them but the weight and leverage makes the top of the sides spread several inches.
I let my wood (oak) sit for 2 years before using
Here's some more pics.

Mike

Attachments

• FW 3.jpg
    FW 3.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 767
  • FW 4.jpg
    FW 4.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 324
  • FW 5.jpg
    FW 5.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 857
  • FW 6.jpg
    FW 6.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 309
   / Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #65  
I like the foldable approach. I put my cages right back from being empty to getting filled. It is a year round process. Being wood to the ground, even with the sacrificial pallet, any issues with bugs/termites, etc finding thier way from ground to firewood? I am switching all my wood pallets to heavy plastic ones I have found.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #66  
Go to www.msc.com and search this item #: 65359010 It is for a 1000 ft X 20" stretcg pallet wrap roll ($32) one roll will last you a long time. If I fill a pallet 4' high without the cages (see my other post, above) and then give the pile a few wraps of this, I can drive out of the woods on the rough path and the wood sits still, yet air can get through to dry wood. Place a 4X4 tarp over the top of this pallet, secure it with a couple of wraps of this plastic, and walla- nice dry wood till next season.;)

Attachments

• DSC09504[1].jpg
    DSC09504[1].jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,999
   / Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #67  
44 x 54

Attachments

• woodc1.jpg
    woodc1.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 3,273
   / Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #68  
Here is my system. I have posted these pics before so I am sorry if your already have seen them. I have twenty of these racks that equals about a year supply for me. I get through the woods easily with them and split at the log. Your hills could be a problem unless they are flat from side to side. It is a lot of weight on the front but I have no trouble. I have since built a lean-to on this side of the barn to store the wood and a trailer under.

Attachments

• image-3940664200.jpg
    image-3940664200.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 773
  • image-3987242880.jpg
    image-3987242880.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,128
   / Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #69  
I have a 14 ft PJ dump trailer and I put on side extenders about a ft high. level it will take 2.5 cords. I burn wood in a wood furnace. I bought the trailer to haul rock to build my shop, we go out, cut and split the wood. Stack it,:thumbsup: 2ft pieces, I have two areas to put wood in both will hold about 7 cord each. The nice thing about the dump trailer is I back it up to the shed open the doors remove the last row, close the doors, lift the box, the top of the doors are about mid thigh and as you remove the wood it slides down. 40 minutes and two people can stack the full load.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #70  
got a welder so i did a update. same size but the uprights should hold up better.

Attachments

• DSCN0167.jpg
    DSCN0167.jpg
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 1,071