Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
So based on some stuff I've seen on here I rigged up a firewood storage and transport system. I'm really pleased with it, and its pretty much free.

Its based on pallets, which they give away for free around here, and are ecstatic to see them go. Basically, I build 5 pallets into a cube with my framing gun, leaving the "door" to go on with timberloks for ease of removal. I then take poly that I have laying around and staple it to the top, back, and sides. In around 5 minutes I have an easily portable wood shed - some even think the clear poly will have a greenhouse effect and dry things faster.

Moving the cubes around with the m59 is easy. I'm incredibly pleased with the system. I just move cubes up to the house as I need them.

Attachments

• IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    868.7 KB · Views: 5,002
  • IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    525.7 KB · Views: 1,504
  • IMG_3188.JPG
    IMG_3188.JPG
    993.8 KB · Views: 5,365
   / Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport
oh, the cubes hold 2 stacks of 18" wood, which is what I like to cut. Around a 1/3 of a cord tightly packed I'd say.

And the Harbor Freight 1/2 stapler is well worth the few bucks, as an aside. I have to say, the HF pneumatic tools have actually been surprisingly good.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #3  
oh, the cubes hold 2 stacks of 18" wood, which is what I like to cut. Around a 1/3 of a cord tightly packed I'd say.

And the Harbor Freight 1/2 stapler is well worth the few bucks, as an aside. I have to say, the HF pneumatic tools have actually been surprisingly good.

1/3 of a cord? So you figure about a face cord? I like it but I would just put plastic on the top. I like the wind and sun getting to as much as possible. I've heard rain getting on the wood gets soaked up by capillary action and pushes out the sap and the wind and sun pull the moisture(rain) out. I used to cover wood with tarps and it would trap moisture and mold. Plus by only doing the top you save plastic.

Yeah, pretty much a face cord. I also pretty much put plastic on top and back - the sides are just and overspill, as I'm using 10' wide plastic since that's what I have lying around.

Ventilation is key, but unlike tarps etc the pallets provide automatic ventilation all the way around, even with the plastic, by their nature

Should be able to stack the cubes at least 2 high on flat land

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #5  
I like it! Very convenient design. Especially given your humid air! Uncovered wood in this area just wicks up the moisture, and holds it. I don't have a tractor, but if my brother would bring over his mini Bobcat from the Vineyard, I could move the pallets with that. Brian

yeah, and its free too - they are anxious to give away pallets around here. No work making the frame either, as they are already put together. The skin construction makes it stiff.

Granted I use framing nails liberally to hold it together.

I've had that problem with uncovered wood, even split. Putting it in the cube has made a surprisingly instant difference. Granted the split wood was in the woods which mad it worse.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #7  
I did the same thing last year. Very glad I did. I made 5 of those. My little 18hp kubota can't quite lift a full skid of wood, so I only stack them 3/4 to the top. Because of that, I figure I'm at somewhere around 1/4 a cord per skid. That gave me enough to hold a full cord in stock, and still have enough to burn while I'm getting the next cord ready.

Plus, I'm able to keep all my wood "out back" until I'm ready for a new rack. That makes the Mrs happy.

Yeah, moving it next to the house as you need it is nice. I used to fill the bucket up and just dump it in a pile. This makes a little portable shed so it stays dry and stacked.

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #9  
Nice job and very clever. And who can argue with the price? :D

/ Cheap, quick, Firewood Storage and Transport #10  
So based on some stuff I've seen on here I rigged up a firewood storage and transport system. I'm really pleased with it, and its pretty much free.

*Its based on pallets, which they give away for free around here, and are ecstatic to see them go.

Basically, I build 5 pallets into a cube with my framing gun, leaving the "door" to go on with timberloks for ease of removal. I then take poly that I have laying around and staple it to the top, back, and sides. In around 5 minutes I have an easily portable wood shed - some even think the clear poly will have a greenhouse effect and dry things faster.

Moving the cubes around with the m59 is easy. I'm incredibly pleased with the system. I just move cubes up to the house as I need them.
*Lowes has done a very good job of keeping me supplied with free pallets for the last 5 years.