New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12

/ New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #1  

hcallaway

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, Ford 3600
I am squeezing every penny out of every item on this build. From the land to the building.
If I wanted to be able to build what I wanted, buying the property cheap was going to make the biggest difference. I tracted mulit-listings and searches on line and drove all over 3 counties looking for the diamond in the rough. I finally found what I wanted. The key to working this property was to have the same listing agent working my side as well.
After months and months of one issue after another I bought 6.5 acres of very nice land in the Richmond area for $26K. Asking price was $48K and was under contract for $58K several years ago before the (so called) property issues became apparent. We sold our other property in the Lexington VA area and now I am starting to build a Man Cave/Garage/Cabin closer to home.
View from Paved Road
DSC03957.jpg

View looking back.
DSC03962.jpg

1/2 Woods and 1/2 Open Field
DSC03960.jpg

/ New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #2  
Nice property! I'm assuming mostly field and partial woods?

/ New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12
Woods and Field are split 50/50. I have started grading with my New Holland TC35 with a grader box. I had a quote of $4500 - $5400 to level a site about 150 x 100 and build in a new road on the other side of the property out to the paved road. This did not include 4 TL's of small rock for a good base (Add $400 TL.) Once I ran a transit to determine the grade on the pole barn and set some stakes, I went to work. I had to cut 18" on the bank side and build up 24" on the far opposite side. I bought a nice little Stanley Laser Level sat it on a 4 x 4 and started cutting the soil. (Red Clay in VA) He could get the site within 2-3 inches level. I am hitting 2-6 and with a pole barn and gravel I am going to be OK.

He said the tractor - dozier work is $100-$150 an hour. I had paid $65 five years ago so this is more than likely in the ball park. I am going to pocket this expense and pay my septic person a $1000 to clear 2000 square feet in the woods for the drain field. This will include him dragging the stumps out for me to burn and he will haul the 90' pines away and leave me the hardwood. (Once again I will remind my wife that the Tractor keeps paying for itself!!)

I decided to give all my costs because evey post I read, I kept asking myself - Wonder what that cost as I was trying to build a budget?

Last edited:
   / New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #4  
Welcome to TBN

Keep the pictures coming as the job progresses... we like project pictures!

/ New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #5  
I am squeezing every penny out of every item on this build.

I love threads like this! Building on a large budget is easy. Watching someone get creative to keep costs down and increase the quality and value of the end result is where it gets interesting.

/ New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #6  
Do not make the mistake I did and only go 12' high. I can not get my boat in my 12'tall by 20'wide door. I also can not get a camper, dump truck, and a Case 580 Backhoe in. I am sure there is more but these are the ones I tried and now kick myself over.

Go 14'. If money is a issue go smaller and build a loft along the back wall for storage. Trust me on this one. I told my buddy the same thing and he did not listen. He went 10' and 2 years later bought a camper. It was never in the plan but things change.

14' will cover all road legal equipment.

By the way, its beautiful land.

Chris

Attachments

• IMAG0195.JPG
    IMAG0195.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 1,137
  • IMAG0230.JPG
    IMAG0230.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 910
  • IMAG0225.JPG
    IMAG0225.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 774
  • IMAG0263.JPG
    IMAG0263.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,300
   / New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #7  
Do not make the mistake I did and only go 12' high. I can not get my boat in my 12'tall by 20'wide door. I also can not get a camper, dump truck, and a Case 580 Backhoe in. I am sure there is more but these are the ones I tried and now kick myself over.

Go 14'. If money is a issue go smaller and build a loft along the back wall for storage. Trust me on this one. I told my buddy the same thing and he did not listen. He went 10' and 2 years later bought a camper. It was never in the plan but things change.

14' will cover all road legal equipment.

By the way, its beautiful land.

Chris

Actually go 15' so you can get a 14' OHD.

I know where you are coming from, but 12' eaves and 10' doors will cover my needs. I will have 2 sheds added when it is built. I have the building under contract and when the plans arrive next week and the building permit is issued, the building will be up in about 4 weeks.

Since I am talking costs in this thread, the additional cost for every 2' in height on a building this size is about $2K. The garage doors also go way up in pricing if you keep them wide as well as high. The builder quoted $1900 per door installed for a standard non insullated garage door. I am going with Janis Doors from Discount Doors.
JANUS 2500. Model 2500 is part of the Janus line of Heavy Duty Commercial Sheet Doors. It offers universal fastening guides and 12 gauge, 4 in. deep guides for larger door size openings. The greater curtain engagement feature is key for wider openings and makes Model 2500 an excellent selection.

This is a much heavier quality door and the cost is $2650 delivered for 2 16'W x 10'H vs $3800 for the builder doors installed.

Roll Up Door Janus Model 2500 16'-0" wide X 10'-0" high.
They run $1150 per door and add freight at $350 for both.
Better Quality less Cost. My labor is cheap.
Janus has great installation videos on their web site.

PS I will have 2 sheds attached. One is 16' x 32' and the other is 16' x 20'. I can get a boat under either of these if it does not have a tower.

/ New Garage Pole Barn 40 x 64 x 12 #9  
I know where you are coming from, but 12' eaves and 10' doors will cover my needs. I will have 2 sheds added when it is built. I have the building under contract and when the plans arrive next week and the building permit is issued, the building will be up in about 4 weeks.

Since I am talking costs in this thread, the additional cost for every 2' in height on a building this size is about $2K. The garage doors also go way up in pricing if you keep them wide as well as high. The builder quoted $1900 per door installed for a standard non insullated garage door. I am going with Janis Doors from Discount Doors.
JANUS 2500. Model 2500 is part of the Janus line of Heavy Duty Commercial Sheet Doors. It offers universal fastening guides and 12 gauge, 4 in. deep guides for larger door size openings. The greater curtain engagement feature is key for wider openings and makes Model 2500 an excellent selection.

This is a much heavier quality door and the cost is $2650 delivered for 2 16'W x 10'H vs $3800 for the builder doors installed.

Roll Up Door Janus Model 2500 16'-0" wide X 10'-0" high.
They run $1150 per door and add freight at $350 for both.
Better Quality less Cost. My labor is cheap.
Janus has great installation videos on their web site.

PS I will have 2 sheds attached. One is 16' x 32' and the other is 16' x 20'. I can get a boat under either of these if it does not have a tower.

If your going with 12' sides why not go with 11' doors?

If your going with 12' sides why not go with 11' doors?

On the eave side I need 22" of over head clearance, but on the gable side I could go 11' opening. I think that would make all the difference in the world if it was a camper that I wanted to roll in that 12" makes 90% of them fit. Thanks