At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#1,021  
Dead Tractor Battery
When I tried to start the tractor in order to pull the "visitors'" truck out of the mud on Saturday, the battery was dead. We had to jump start the tractor. After starting the tractor, the battery never charged even though the tractor ran over an hour.

attachment.php

This evening I put a battery charger on the battery to see if the battery will take a charge. I really hope it's just a bad battery and not a bad alternator.

attachment.php

Look where the alternator is. It appears that the muffler will have to be removed if we have to replace the alternator.

attachment.php

And check this out. The muffler is tack-welded to the frame! Yuk. If the alternator is bad, I'll have to take the tractor to the shop and get it replaced. Alternators should be easy to replace, even for amateurs like me.

Attachments

• IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,079
Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods
#1,022  
Plumbing installation has started this week.

attachment.php

Here's where the washer and dryer will go.

attachment.php

Here's where the laundry sink will be.

Attachments

• IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_3671.JPG
    IMG_3671.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 1,065
   / At Home In The Woods
#1,023  
Hall Bath Plumbing

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3673.JPG
    IMG_3673.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_3672.JPG
    IMG_3672.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,039
   / At Home In The Woods
#1,024  
Master Bath Plumbing

attachment.php

Master vanity

attachment.php

Master toilet

attachment.php

Shower

Attachments

• IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 1,008
  • IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,031
   / At Home In The Woods #1,025  
Dead Tractor Battery
When I tried to start the tractor in order to pull the "visitors'" truck out of the mud on Saturday, the battery was dead. We had to jump start the tractor. After starting the tractor, the battery never charged even though the tractor ran over an hour.

This evening I put a battery charger on the battery to see if the battery will take a charge. I really hope it's just a bad battery and not a bad alternator.

Look where the alternator is. It appears that the muffler will have to be removed if we have to replace the alternator.

And check this out. The muffler is tack-welded to the frame! Yuk. If the alternator is bad, I'll have to take the tractor to the shop and get it replaced. What a horrible design. Alternators should be easy to replace, even for amateurs like me.

If you have a volt meter, you can start the tractor and then remove one of the battery terminals and test across the terminals for voltage. This should tell you if the alternator is working or not.

/ At Home In The Woods
#1,026  
Plumbing Drains Under the Main Floor

attachment.php

attachment.php

The stack on the left in the picture is the radon vent. The stack on the right drains the hall bathroom.

Attachments

• IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,653
  • IMG_3678.JPG
    IMG_3678.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,068
   / At Home In The Woods #1,027  
Plumbing Drains Under the Main Floor

attachment.php

The stack on the left in the picture is the radon vent. The stack on the right drains the hall bathroom.

I'm no expert by any means, but shouldn't there be a trap on that drain that comes through the floor for the bath/shower? Or is that the drain for the toilet (after thought)?

/ At Home In The Woods
#1,028  
Dead Tractor Battery
I just looked at the technical manual. The manual says to remove the side panel on the left side in order to access the alternator. That's good news.

attachment.php

If the charger is able to charge the battery, then I'm guessing the alternator is bad so I'll have to replace the alternator. If the battery charger won't charge the battery, then I'll replace the battery.

Attachments

• TechManual.JPG
    TechManual.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,067
   / At Home In The Woods #1,029  
I just looked at the technical manual. The manual says to remove the side panel on the left side in order to access the alternator. That's good news.

attachment.php

If the charger is able to charge the battery, then I'm guessing the alternator is bad so I'll have to replace the alternator. If the battery charger won't charge the battery, then I'll replace the battery.

Don't rule out something simple like a loose or broken wire - it happens and causes some inconvenience.

Jim

/ At Home In The Woods #1,030  
The house sure looks allot better with pipes in the walls!!!!!!!!!

I really like the cleanouts your plumber is putting in. You can never have too many. I like to run them out the exterior wall if I can, or have access through a vent pipe. Having them in the wall like he's done is really a smart move.

One thing that I don't care for are the PVC toilet mounts. Over time, and it's not very long, they tend to bend and wear away. Just with normal use, the toilet will start to move, and then it's very difficult to get the bolts to hold the toilet in place. I use metal plates on top of the PVC to solve this problem when it gets that bad.

On new construction, I always use metal for the toilet mount. It's not too late to change it, and in the long term, not having to ever deal with a loose toilet is always kind of nice.

Congrats on your progress so far!!!

Eddie