At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,331  
We had some rain this week. Subsequently I noticed silt was washing down the hill from the 4-wheeler path and was being deposited in the gravel in our parking pad. In addition, the cleared area on the hillside where the contractor had tried to use as a place to deposit extra dirt still had some residue of red clay that was also washing into our gravel.

Yesterday I decided to clean off the remaining red dirt off the hill side and do something to prevent water from the 4-wheeler path from running down to the parking pad. From years of use, the 4-wheeler path up the hill through the woods had eroded into a deep canal which caused a lot of water to run down the path toward the house location. So we used the 4-wheeler path as a spot do deposit the extra dirt from the grading work around the house.

When the contractor put the dirt on the 4-wheeler path, we ended up with mounds of dirt encompasing the edges of both sides of the path. There was now way for rain water to drain off the path so it all run to the parking pad. I did not expect the contractor to pretty up the 4-wheeler path; that's something I figured I would do. I used the box blade to remove the mounds of dirt along the edges of the path and deposited the dirt onto the path farther into the woods. I then made a berm across the path so that any water that still tried to run down the path would be forced off the path instead of continuing down to the parking pad.

The last thing I did was add some gravel to make a turn-around spot so that people wouldn't be tracking mud into our gravel when they turned around. I got my wife to help me decide where to make the turn-around spot. Both of us have gotten a little paranoid about where gravel goes so I made sure to get her opinion.

During the house build, when the original construction manager backfilled our basement walls with gravel, he sloppilly dropped gravel over 80% of the front yard. And I'm not just talking a little gravel. The whole front yard looked like a parking lot. The gravel packed into the red clay and ruined the front yard. I removed as much of the gravel with my tractor as I could but there was a lot my little tractor just couldn't get. When we did the grading job, I had the contractor remove as much of the gravel as possible.

attachment.php

My wife and I marked the turn-around spot with some rocks and I spread out the gravel.

When the contractor put gravel on the parking pad and on the new driveway to the basement, we tried to keep the gravel used to a minimum. It's easy to add more gravel but it's really hard to remove gravel from someplace you don't want it. Thus, we have a large pile of gravel onsite that we bought during the excavation job to use for "whatever".

Attachments

• IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2086.JPG
    IMG_2086.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 1,150
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 240
   / At Home In The Woods #3,332  
Obed...First your house and land look wonderful...you guys have really worked hard and I have followed every bit...congratulations on a job well done..

On the 7th picture - 2nd on on the 2nd row..is that dirt trail the 4 wheeler path ? The incline going down to your gravel pad ...seems to me you will be better off graveling at least the bottom 50 ft. or so to stop the wash of red clay etc. from rains...It would be ideal to have a drain across the road...like a cattle gap where you could walk over it and drive over it but water would drain down instead of washing onto your pad..

Here is an image of a cattle gap...Image Search Results for cattle gap

It does not have to be for cattle and could be made with 4 inch pipe ...or even ground contact treated wood..to suit your purpose...Maybe I am all wrong ...if so someone will let us know...LOL

Again, really a great job and adventure..

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,333  
Obed...First your house and land look wonderful...you guys have really worked hard and I have followed every bit...congratulations on a job well done..
Thanks brin. Now that the yard is growing grass and we've gotten rid of the mountains of dirt, I'm really pleased at how the outside is starting to look. I have to say that getting the grading work finished has been quite a relief. It was a lot of hassle and a lot of work.

On the 7th picture - 2nd on on the 2nd row..is that dirt trail the 4 wheeler path ?

234555d1319385607-home-woods-img_2089.jpg

The incline going down to your gravel pad ...seems to me you will be better off graveling at least the bottom 50 ft. or so to stop the wash of red clay etc. from rains...It would be ideal to have a drain across the road...like a cattle gap where you could walk over it and drive over it but water would drain down instead of washing onto your pad..

Here is an image of a cattle gap...Image Search Results for cattle gap

It does not have to be for cattle and could be made with 4 inch pipe ...or even ground contact treated wood..to suit your purpose...Maybe I am all wrong ...if so someone will let us know...LOL
The 4-wheeler path through the woods should no longer wash dirt down the hill. Plus, it will eventually pack down and get covered with leaves. The cleared area beside the parking pad used to consist of a hard pebbly substance that really didn't cause dirt washing issues. That's why I was so extremely unhappy when the contractor covered the entire area with dirt. I'm hoping that eventually the area will return to its original make-up after the rain packs down the soil and washes the loose stuff away. I removed with my BB as much of the dirt the contractor deposited as I could in an attempt to restore the area to it's original make up. The consistency of the soil was not good for growth so it naturally resisted weeds and brush growth.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,334  
I'm hoping that eventually the area will return to its original make-up after the rain packs down the soil and washes the loose stuff away

Obed, I see what you mean..it will go back natural in time..I have some trails just like it and once the natural growth begins the washing will stop...

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,335  
Here's a picture of the view from my desk as I write this post. I'm looking at the front yard. Up the hill you can see the grass growing in the clearing where next year's garden will go. The fall colors are really pretty. The hard work is starting to pay off.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,045
   / At Home In The Woods #3,336  
Here's a picture of the view from my desk as I write this post. I'm looking at the front yard. Up the hill you can see the grass growing in the clearing where next year's garden will go. The fall colors are really pretty. The hard work is starting to pay off.

attachment.php

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ At Home In The Woods #3,338  
Looking great. By next summer that little girl will be playing in that yard.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,339  
Here are pictures I took yesterday. The place is starting to look less like a junk heap. We still have stuff to pick up but it's getting better. This past weekend I looked around and actually thought the place looked pretty.

attachment.php

My wife made a walkway to the front door using wood chips. It is a temporary measure until we do something more permanent, perhaps with pavers. Note: You can see our old cat on the front porch steps. She's still hanging around. It has been almost a year and a half since I poisoned her.

I'm liking the view up and down the driveway with the fall colors. In one of the pictures you can see the red handle of the water spigot for the garden that we installed for the garden. I'm very happy we thought to do that. After planting the grass, I can't imagine the thoughts of tearing up the yard to run the water pipes.

We have much more grass to mow than I had forseen. I had thought that being in the middle of the woods would result in a much smaller yard than if we were in a subdivision. It turns out that our back yard is fairly large. We might plant some rhododendrons or something similar on the steepest part of the back yard as it approaches the woods in order to reduce the mowing area.

This past week my wife planted a small herb garden. She tells me it will get larger. This is just the start.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2109.JPG
    IMG_2109.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,340  
Please forgive me for jumping back and forth in telling the grading job story. I know it's a little confusing as I go back and forth from the present to the past. However, it was the only way I could get you guys caught up current events. So, I'm continuing the story from where I left off here.

After getting the grass sowed on the yard on a Monday, we focused on getting the slope of the parking pad outside the garage the way we wanted it. The week before, I had measured the grade of the parking pad using with my 10' PVC 2" pipe with a level on the pipe. The parking pad measures 30' x 40'. The 15' closest to the garage had no slope; it was level according to my crude pipe and level measurement. The 15' section farthest from the garage had all the elevation drop. What this meant was rainwater next to the house would soak through the gravel and not run away from the garage. Keep in mind, the whole reason we were re-grading the parking pad was to get it to slope away from the house. There was still a lot of dirt that needed to be scraped off the pad and hauled off!

When I talked the the contractor, he wouldn't believe my measurements. He claimed my PVC pipe would bend and that there was no way that I could measure the grade properly. So he got out his transit and started measuring. He walked around the pad quickly taking measurements by eyeballing his measuring rod while leaving the end off the ground and estimating how many inches the rod was off the ground. When I wouldn't accept his measurements and made him slow down and take accurate measurements, I eventually proved to him using his transit that my crude pipe and level measurements were correct. The 15 foot section closest to the house was level. So he got on his machine and took off more dirt. Then he had the skid steer guy clean up behind him and haul off the dirt.

I have run into the same reaction from other subs on the house building job when I measured the levelness of their work with my crude methods. For example, I had discovered that the main floor of our house was going to be 3/4" out of level by using a water level I made with a clear plastic hose and a water bucket. When I informed the original framer about the issue, he claimed that his laser level was more accurate and that my water level couldn't be trusted. It turned out that my water level measurements were right and I made the framer fix the leveling issues. The reality is, if you do things correctly and don't cause a vapor lock or undue water friction, water will always flow down hill and water bubbles will always move uphill. How do people think the NYC skyscrapers were built before lasers and electronics existed? However, it's a hopeless task to try to explain these things to some people.

So after the contractor took more dirt off the parking pad, I took more measurements with my pipe and level. I determined that at the end of our pad, we had a low spot that would not drain water. We may eventually pour concrete on the parking pad so we can't have water seeping through the gravel to a low spot under the concrete. I told the contractor on the phone about the issue and he agree he would fix that low spot before we put down gravel.

This brings us to the time of the pictures in this post. The first picture shows my wife adding some dirt near the house where the skid steer had taken off a little too much dirt near the house. Later that day we got some steady rain. Sure enough, a pond developed exactly where my "unreliable" pipe and level measurements had indicated were low areas. So for the next couple weeks, after each rain softened the top inch or so of hard red clay, I would use my box blade to remove dirt from the parking pad. I made a pile of dirt and made the contractor haul the dirt off into the woods when he came back to put down the gravel.

Even though the contractor had agreed to fix the low spot, I just didn't trust him to do it the way I wanted it so I did the work myself. Since this same scene happened time and time again while building our house, I've concluded that we are obviously way more picky that most of the contractor's customers. I don't apologize for being this way; I just recognize that's the way things are. Other people can close their eyes and just hope the builders do a good job; I couldn't do it. If I had closed my eyes, the plumbing drain pipes under our basement concrete floor would have run uphill instead of down hill. I'm not kidding; this really occurred. I could list many other such examples but won't.

The last picture shows the parking pad area just before the gravel arrived. You can see marks in the ground caused by the box blade scarifiers. We had delayed putting gravel on the parking pad about 3 weeks later than the contractor had intended. That gave me time to grade the area to the slope I wanted and gave time for the rain to pack the soil before the gravel arrived. We eventually got the pad the way we wanted it.

attachment.php

I'm being open about the issues we had with the grading contractor's work. What you may not be hearing much are his positive qualities. He's really not a bad guy. He has done some good things for us. He built our road/driveway and did an excellent job on it. He has been extremely busy these six months and in reality didn't have the time to devote exclusively to us. All the contractors are busy in this area because of the hail storm we got in April. I heard that 150,000 houses around here are getting new roofs. Plus there was a lot of siding and window damage. Did we get a great job done during the yard grading work? No. I would rate the quality low. In the end did we get things the way we wanted them? Yes, it just took a lot of our own time. That's not all bad. I got plenty of seat time!

Attachments

• IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    775.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG