At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #3,431  
Hire an electrician. If you mess with the wiring and don't fix it or make it worse and something burns, you will have saved nothing. You've got a wife and child to protect.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,432  
Hire an electrician. If you mess with the wiring and don't fix it or make it worse and something burns, you will have saved nothing. You've got a wife and child to protect.
Coyote machine,
An "electrician" wired the circuit that has the problem. I'm not opposed to hiring an electrician if I'm convinced they'll fix it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the electician sends his helper over, replaces the switch, claims he solved the problem, and charges me a hundred bucks. Meanwhile, the circuit might still have the issue. If the electrican can put a meter on the circuit and verify a problem, that's a horse of a different color. I just don't know whether or not this problem would show up on one of the electrician's instruments.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,433  
Guys thanks for all the suggestions regarding the wiring. You've given me some stuff to think about. The smell seemed to be closer to the light switch than to the ceiling fixture. I'll probably remove the face place of the light switch and turn on the light and see if I can pinpoint the smell to that spot. If the smell does come from the gang box, the issue could still be eminating from inside the wall. However, swapping the switch won't hurt. I worked outside all day today so I haven't yet made time to investigate the circuit.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,434  
As I had to go through an `insurance` meeting today, if you know of a problem and don`t tell the insurance company, and then the problem is in some way responsible for a `casualty` then the insurance company can deny coverage....

If you are trying and in the process of fixing the problem, and something happens then your are covered........I`m sure nothing will happen to you, but as a precaution I sure would leave the breaker off to that area.....Tony ps a very dull meeting and in our case it was about flood insurance which we don`t need and has gotten very expensive

/ At Home In The Woods #3,435  
An "electrician" wired the circuit that has the problem.

Then get him back to correct the problem or hire someone to correct the first guys error(s). Electricians like other humans make mistakes but theirs can be far more costly. I'm trying to help you save your butt, and not burn down your house.:confused2:

Obed,
Weird- all I got at first was what I quoted above, of what you said replying to my post about hiring an electrician- then I went back to see what has been posted recently and there is more you said about not having a problem hiring one if they can assure you they will fix it.
I feel you'd be better off having them come out knowing they are to find the problem you describe and fix it as part of follow-up on their original work. I would also insist they send out their master electrician and he show you what he found. If a qualified electrician can't solve the problem then he should stop doing electrical work. You are covered if you have a fire as a result of their work- less likely if you tamper with the circuit yourself. And tell them when they get there if the problem is related to their work then you expect them to cover it at no expense to you.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,436  
Today I wanted to move the trailer to free up some space uphill of the garage. I decided to move a large pile of topsoil that has been in the way. The pile is about the size of a tandem dump truck load. The grading contractor created this pile when he built our driveway and excavated the house two years ago. I wish we had spread this pile around the yard when we graded the yard a couple months ago. However, I did not realize the dirt was as good as it actually is.

I've not liked the location of the pile but have never had a good enough reason to move it until today. The pile was impeding my ability to move the trailer where I desired to put the trailer.

Before starting on the dirt pile, I moved a pallet of firewood that was in my way. Unfortunately, I positioned the tractor sideways to the hill and the round logs on the pallet just rolled off the pallet. So I'm going to get the opportunity to stack the pallet again. One guy on TBN said he puts straps on his pallets of firewood before moving them. I might need to try that. It's not much fun stacking the same pallet twice.

Moving the pile of topsoil was slow going. I only had to move it 20 feet but it still took 3 hours with my little tractor. Manueverability was tight. I initially moved the dirt with the FEL until I had reshaped the pile ehough that I could use the boxblade. Once I was able to get full bites with the BB, the dirt moving went faster.

After moving the dirt pile, I hooked the trailer up to the tractor and moved the trailer into a little open spot int the trees. Moving the 28ft trailer (22 foot bed) was easy using the tractor. The tractor's short wheelspan allowed me to maneuver the trailer through the trees. I couldn't have put the trailer in that spot with my truck. The new location of the trailer should help prevent it from theft because I don't think a pickup truck would have room to maneuver the trailer out of the trees.

I'm thrilled to have moved that pile of dirt! Little by little our place is starting to shape up.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    IMG_2175.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 148
   / At Home In The Woods #3,438  
Guys thanks for all the suggestions regarding the wiring. You've given me some stuff to think about. The smell seemed to be closer to the light switch than to the ceiling fixture. I'll probably remove the face place of the light switch and turn on the light and see if I can pinpoint the smell to that spot. If the smell does come from the gang box, the issue could still be eminating from inside the wall. However, swapping the switch won't hurt. I worked outside all day today so I haven't yet made time to investigate the circuit.

I had a kitchen plug that was in series with 2 others in our new place few years back it would smell everytime we used the coffee maker...ended up being the first plug in the series the wire lug was loose and it would arch under a load I replaced the plug and made sure it was tight never had a problem again!!!

/ At Home In The Woods #3,439  
I had a kitchen plug that was in series with 2 others in our new place few years back it would smell everytime we used the coffee maker...ended up being the first plug in the series the wire lug was loose and it would arch under a load I replaced the plug and made sure it was tight never had a problem again!!!

Had the same thing happen on a wall switch for our hall light. One of the screw terminals was loose. Come to think of it, I ended up replacing that switch just in case since it smelled of burned phenolic.