At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,491  
I admit I've done some stupid things and I'm sure will do so again in the future. I'm sure I've done stupid things that I've posted in this thread. You guys pretty much get the whole picture without much filtering.

I knew some people would not like how I leveled the ladder with the wood blocks. On the picture it looked rather fragile. I don't like climbing ladders; I like climbing them now much less than I did in my 20's. However, believe it or not, in practice the base of the ladder felt very solid; I tested it carefully before climbing it. I used my wife to steady the base "just in case"

Please understand, anybody out there who might want to claim that I'm "justifying" my actions, the reality is while at home I report to me (or maybe to my wife). So I don't feel any need to "justify" what I do as has been suggested in this thread. I ask questions on this thread because this forum has been a great source of help and information to me. I respond to people's comments because I find the communication to be helpful, and I think some other people also find it to be so. When I pose questions, I'm not asking for "permission". That would be absurd. So I make my best judgment call and go with it, for better or worse.

I'm not suggesting that using a stack of boards to level a ladder is a best practice. I'm not encouraging people to rescue a tractor with a come-along. I'm not recommending that someone cut down a tree close to their house without adequate experience or help. I'm not promoting that someone who has no knowledge of electricity attempt to fix an electrical smell in the house.

Everybody gauges risk differently and that's ok. Who am I to say that a NASCAR driver is wrong because of the risks he takes? Do I think NASCAR racing is right for everybody? No. Is it right for some people? Yes, I believe so. What I do recommend is for people to try new things, to ask questions, to learn, to experience the fullness of life by DOING stuff. Take calculated risks but make sure you use your head.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,492  
Well said. One of the best ways to learn is by doing something less than perfect. The great thing about this site is that many people have varied experiences and great and efficient ways to do things. Keep up the good work Obed.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,493  
I've dealt with people on other messageboards who seem to know-it-all and criticize just because that is their nature. I am sure we have all done things that we regret but we learn from our mistakes. Obed is doing the best he can and truly appreciates others suggestions and comments. It is how we all learn sometimes from others mistakes. I am sure he uses common sense and would not put himself or his family in harms way intentionally. Granted living in the woods causes the gutters to fill with leaves and eventually Obed will take action to put a stop to it but it takes money and I'm sure he is not the richest guy in the neighborhood. It is nice when you can hire someone to do work around your home but that takes money and when we feel we can do a job that is money saved for more important projects around the house.

So let's just offer our suggestions and we can all learn together without the preaching to the choir.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,494  
I am not one to post to often but I have certainly enjoyed this whole thread so please keep us updated even if a few don't like what you are doing. I usually check this thread for an update at least 4-5 times a week.

Keep up the good work and stay as safe as you want.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,495  
Hey guys, there have been lots of good comments from everybody. I welcome people's opinions in this thread. Yes it's fine to disagree with me or others and to air your opinion. We all just need to try to be friendly when we share our opinions. Sometimes it takes extra care to do so in a forum but we should all at least try. For the most part, I think people have been extremely good in this thread about sharing their views in a helpful way.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,496  
Yesterday my wife called the electrician and told him about the electrical smell in our foyer. Today two of his workers came by to check things out. They replaced a switch, tightened a wire terminal connection, and replaced the light bulbs in one of the light fixtures. The bulbs had some construction debris melted on them.

The smell seems to be gone now and so is $80 of our money. My wife is crying the blues a little because the electricians didn't do anything we couldn't have done. I have not had any time during daylight hours to personally address the issue so we got help.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,497  
Obed said:
Yesterday my wife called the electrician and told him about the electrical smell in our foyer. Today two of his workers came by to check things out. They replaced a switch, tightened a wire terminal connection, and replaced the light bulbs in one of the light fixtures. The bulbs had some construction debris melted on them.

The smell seems to be gone now and so is $80 of our money. My wife is crying the blues a little because the electricians didn't do anything we couldn't have done. I have not had any time during daylight hours to personally address the issue so we got help.

Something I learned and often use to self justify to myself in regards to the spending of money to pay another to do something I could have done is this :

If I can do it but the end result of the loss of my time will be better used for family or anything that is fun, and the cost is minimal... Just pay it..
One thing I just don't bother with is oil changes for my truck anymore... Ie the dealer charges me $27 and during that time they rotate my tires and fill the fluids... Parts would be about $23.... Then I would have to spend the time and gas to get rid of the used oil.... Plus the time for the tire rotation.. That 30 minutes at the dealer every 8 weeks or so.... Is worth it...

The $125 the local volunteer fireman asked to clean my gutters... Hmmm.. I am soooo leaning towards that...

That is cheaper than the $150 emergency room deductible...... I have a 24 foot extension ladder and it won't reach all my gutters....

So ,to me at least, $80 for an electrician and the time to diagnose in the worry of a potential electrical hazard is a drop in the bucket.... The family is safe... Don't fret my friend.... It was the right decision......

I have to say I have truly enjoyed this thread, all the things I have learned and the experiences we have all shared.... Please keep writing....

Just as hallmark keeps making cards, you keep on writing and we'll keep on reading.....

RT

/ At Home In The Woods #3,498  
Did your insurance agents tell you that most people are hurt or killed by falling off ladders, and falling in general, from a height of no more than 6-8' off the ground?
Is there any real point to this never ending thread in which you pose various ridiculous scenarios, where you then want to argue in defense of your way of doing things? Those who reply are seeking to pass FREE knowledge on to you to help keep you from hurting yourself or your family members. I can only speak for myself but I'm tired of trying to make a difference in this thread. It is pointless :mad:

attachment.php

Attachments

• lighten-up-francis.png
    lighten-up-francis.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 553
   / At Home In The Woods #3,499  
Obed said:

You said it all - you didn't have the time - but I bet...no, I know - you had the worry that something bad could happen. It's $80 spent that instantly took a huge weight off your mind. To me - it's cheap payment for having the piece of mind that all is well - no electrical fires for me! Cross that worry off my list!!

I have never done a major project such as yours. We did add a substantial addition/remodel on the house when my wife was pregnant - finishing alter she gave birth to our son. Pretty much had the entire house tore up except for three rooms. Started in April, finished in November Much like you i did the majority of the work myself - while working a full time job It's very stressful time - especially at the end. You are tired, but still have tons on little things to do.

Keep posting!! Don't let some jerk poo head bother you or get under your skin!

Love the place, now take some time to enjoy it for a bit! You deserve it - both of you deserve it.

Dean

/ At Home In The Woods #3,500  
OK, this is getting funny. I understand some of the safety critiques and even agree with most of them to a degree, but questioning his wardrobe...

I have to question any guy who notices the clothes another guy wears. Your man card may be revoked for such things or at least be put on probation. If the desire to critique the fashion of others Womans Day has a nice web site that may interest you. :D

How can nobody notice he always has the same hat and shirt on? If i posted a buch of pics everyday that i as another person realized were taken on all different days i would think someone may notice. Two or 3x maybe you could have the same thing on but everytime. Im thinking some of you are just to worried about sterotypes to mention it.

Put me on probation please dont revoke it!

Is anybody out there an insurance agent who can comment on this concern?

If you are interested, please see the discussions in this thread regarding gutter guard decisions here.

Yes, I own one other shirt but I wear it 5 days a week during my day job so it is already dirty by Saturday. So I bring out the blue shirt for Saturdays.

Obed

That last one is a good one.

And someone a few posts above commented about he is living a dream, that he is. Why cause an end to the dream to early. Im not saying i dont do unsafe stuff but it seems like everything here is a bit crazy, almost circus like?

As for previous posts on all subhects in this. I had come across this thread over a year ago read a bit lost interest, returned and saw the recent progress and the home and after comments i thought Obded built the house himself after all he said he did. I just in the last week realized he was the GC, in my opinion you didnt really build the house you contracted it out. Im not knocking what you did im just saying what i think and see what you and others have to say.

It wasent till the electrical problem that i was like i thought you did it? Then was like ok he subbed that out and did carentry etc. Then i read about the framers and the insulation guys, and was like i think he means he was GC, then you posted about "building" your own house as GC.

My point is when i installed the wood floors in my living room i said i did it or when i finished a room when remodeling i said i finished it or when i remodel the upstairs bath and bed i will have rebuilt it. When i say i built it i mean i actually took a hammer and nail or screws or nail gun to it put the dry wall up and even polly'ed the floors. In my opinion if you hire a guy to insulate or install floors or frame your house or whatever you did not "build" it you subcontracted it out. All your doing is paying someone to do the work, after assessing thier ability and references and cost. This is a heap different than buying the material and actually building it yourself.

OK i will now step down. NOthing personal even though i am attacked for mentioning that you seem to wear the same thing like im gay, "not that theres any thing wrong with that (any Seinfeld watchers here?)". I have just been following for a few weeks before my first post on this thread and took me awhile without reading all 400+ pages to figure this one out, cause it keeps being talked about you building your house.

Sorry if i crossed the line with this comment, just something that kind of bothers me i guess. I personally hate it when a "builder" says they built this or built that. **** that guy barely ever got mud over the rubber soles of his boots during construction. All he has is a check book and an account and a list of subs. Thats not to say that some of them cant do it or never did.