At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,851  
IndyIan said:
Also won't they just glue themselves together on the first hot sunny day?
Ugh!!!

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,852  
radioman said:
I agree, for the life of me, I cant figure out why obed wants it in attic?!
Maybe we should ask my wife! I'm just the manual labor. I didn't think about the heat causing the shingles to melt together. I guess I will be carrying the shingles back down to the basement.

We have moved to the attic everything possible that is considered long term storage - stuff like extra shingles, extra floor tile, etc. That's why the shingles got moved to the attic. In addition, if we needed to patch the roof, we could just move the shingles through the attic window onto the roof.

Things to be used for projects go in the basement, things like tools, screws, nails, waterhoses, etc. Also, stuff too big or awkward to store in the attic get stored in the basement, ie. sheetrock, lumber, etc.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,853  
How do you put the shingle wood under the standoffs without first climbing the ladder? :confused:

That's a good point. I was a little uncomfortable having the ladder extended so far. We may consider getting a longer ladder.

Obed

If I recall extension ladders are designed to support 3 times their rated capacity. So at 225# your ladder can handle 675# at full extension. As long as you keep the ladder at the proper angle and take care of it you will be fine. Your not comfortable working at heights so your not going to be taking the same type of chances others would who are comfortable. Longer ladders are nice if you need them but the extra length adds weight and makes it just that much harder to move around and store. And as you found out, that ladder stabilizer really does help you a lot. It makes things very stable and comfortable up there. Keep 3 points of contact on the ladder (2 feet and one hand) and you will be fine. It will not fold in half unless you have abused it very hard but you will know way before then that you shouldn't be using that ladder at that point.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,854  
If I recall extension ladders are designed to support 3 times their rated capacity. So at 225# your ladder can handle 675# at full extension. As long as you keep the ladder at the proper angle and take care of it you will be fine. Your not comfortable working at heights so your not going to be taking the same type of chances others would who are comfortable. Longer ladders are nice if you need them but the extra length adds weight and makes it just that much harder to move around and store. And as you found out, that ladder stabilizer really does help you a lot. It makes things very stable and comfortable up there. Keep 3 points of contact on the ladder (2 feet and one hand) and you will be fine. It will not fold in half unless you have abused it very hard but you will know way before then that you shouldn't be using that ladder at that point.
Robert,
I know I have the ladder extended as far as it will go; that does make me a little nervous. However, it seems to have worked.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,855  
Don't you wish you built a 5 story?
Carl,
It's kind of funny how things go. We have a nice winter view of the mountains from our living room. If we go to the attic the view is nicer and from the roof it's nicer still. And from the chimney it's even nicer. Then from my neighbor's house up the hill the view is even nicer yet...

Sometimes you just have to force yourself to be content or you'll never be satisfied.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,856  
After cleaning the chimney, I now build a hot fire each morning per the recommendations from several of you.

attachment.php

In addition to helping keep the chimney clean, the hot fire burns the black film off of the glass so we can see the fire.

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 989
   / At Home In The Woods #3,857  
Robert,
I know I have the ladder extended as far as it will go; that does make me a little nervous. However, it seems to have worked.
Obed

You will be fine at full extension, the ladder is designed to support 3 times its rated rate at full extension so unless you put on a lot of weight you have nothing to worry about as long as you take care of the ladder. My reply was to the other poster commenting that the ladder is likely to fold in half by being fully extended. You don't have to worry about that.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,858  
My wife is painting our dining room/office door. I bought a gallon of sanding sealer that she sealed the door with. In the picture she is painting on the primer. We hung the door from strings attached to the floor trusses to assist with painting the door and letting it dry.

The door was special ordered and did not get delivered to our house until after the painters were finished and gone.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 297
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,859  
I cut and split more wood today. My pallet was a little bit too full.

attachment.php

We are having a cold snap. Temps are in the mid-20s and dropping. We are really enjoying the fireplace!

Attachments

• IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2625.JPG
    IMG_2625.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,201
  • IMG_2626.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 814
   / At Home In The Woods #3,860  
:laughing: sure looks a little full. I bet if you had your BH back on picutured in background, you might not be that high up . :laughing:

Looks like it's time for you to get a pallet mover for your 3pt. You would be able to pick up more without tires up in air.:thumbsup:
(yup! spending your money again :p)