At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #3,931  
I fill up two five gal cans every so often.

Just wondering where so much water came from. Could have been from the fuel station, or from the tractor tank sweating with a partially filled tank. Temp changes cause condensation on the inside which form as droplets on the tank walls, then run down into the fuel.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,932  
When I got home from work Thursday night, I decided to see if I could get the garden area plowed. We had rain forecasts for the next five days and I was afraid that I might have to wait at least a week to have another chance to plow the garden. On my way home from work we got a shower so I wasn't sure if it would be dry enough to plow but I had to try.

I read my tractor's Owner's Manuel to find out how to drain the water from the "bowl". My tractor has a clear "bowl" that screws over the fuel filter. Supposedly, you can look at the bowl and see water in the bottom of it. I wasn't able to see a line where water in the bottom of the bowl meets diesel at the top of the bowl. So I closed the fuel valve and removed the bowl and inspected it. I have to say the fluid looked more like water than diesel. I drained the fluid from the bowl and screwed the bowl back on the tractor. I then opened the fuel valve and let the diesel gravity drain into the bowl until the bowl was fuel.

The test would be to run the tractor and see if it tried to stall again like it had two days ago.
The tractor ran fine without hesitating or stalling.

I was able plow the entire garden Thursday night. I plowed after dark for about an hour using my tractor lights. I certainly won't get accused of plowing straight rows. My rows kept veering to the right or the left; I can't remember which but it was always the same direction. I'm not quite sure what I needed to do to keep the rows staight.

attachment.php

While plowing, I found a bunch of tree debris buried a few inches below the surface. The excavation contractor apparently buried this stuff when he cleared the property. He was contracted to burn all the debris. Most of the stuff buried had come from a burn pile. He apparantly buried what didn't burn. Unfortunately, he burried the stuff in our garden and he knew that spot was where we would put our garden. So I was slowed down by removing the debris that I plowed up.

I'm very glad we plowed the garden before rototilling it. The tree debris would have been a real headache to deal with using a rototiller.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2777.JPG
    IMG_2777.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 408
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,933  
Just wondering where so much water came from. Could have been from the fuel station, or from the tractor tank sweating with a partially filled tank. Temp changes cause condensation on the inside which form as droplets on the tank walls, then run down into the fuel.
The water might have just accumulated in the fuel filter bowl over a period of time. Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,934  
Any time I am trying to make a straight line while riding a tractor or mower I pick a spot in the distance and aim for that, and don't take my eyes off it. After that I should have a straight line to reference off of.

/ At Home In The Woods #3,935  
The water might have just accumulated in the fuel filter bowl over a period of time. Obed

It does and thats how it designed to happen but thats a lot of water is his point. If your using 5 gals containers you really should have little water in them and the station has a water filter or should on the pump to stop water transfer. Usually with larger tanks is where water problems occur.

man that is tree "debris" i was expecting like roots or small 3" branches not parts of a trunk!

/ At Home In The Woods #3,936  
While plowing, I found a bunch of tree debris buried a few inches below the surface. The excavation contractor apparently buried this stuff when he cleared the property. He was contracted to burn all the debris. Most of the stuff buried had come from a burn pile. He apparantly buried what didn't burn. Unfortunately, he burried the stuff in our garden and he knew that spot was where we would put our garden. So I was slowed down by removing the debris that I plowed up.

I'm very glad we plowed the garden before rototilling it. The tree debris would have been a real headache to deal with using a rototiller.

I dug up a giant diesel battery and various dozer parts. Sort of makes a joke out of the signed statement from the previous owner attesting to no dumping on the property. Previous owner had several dozers and was in dozer business. I also dug up broken glass, charcoal, and various scrap metal pieces and steel cable. Apparently from a burn pile where he buried everything he couldn't burn.

Be thankful you only found a few tree parts. I have another dump site I discovered with an old push lawnmower, refrigerator, etc.

Pat

/ At Home In The Woods #3,937  
I dug up a giant diesel battery and various dozer parts. Sort of makes a joke out of the signed statement from the previous owner attesting to no dumping on the property. Previous owner had several dozers and was in dozer business. I also dug up broken glass, charcoal, and various scrap metal pieces and steel cable. Apparently from a burn pile where he buried everything he couldn't burn.

Be thankful you only found a few tree parts. I have another dump site I discovered with an old push lawnmower, refrigerator, etc.

Pat

At least you can haul most of your stuff as scrap metal. The trees you not only have to remove but cant get any $$ for them!:D

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,938  
We borrowed a rototiller. My wife used it to expand her herb garden beside the house.

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 276
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,939  
Last week after work, I rototilled the garden. Running the tiller over the rough turned-over plowed sod required some man-handling. When I was 3/4 done, I hit a rock and sheered the sheer pin on one of the tines. That ended the work for the evening. It was dark anyway. The next day my wife bought a pin from the local hardware store and I finished the garden that evening. After I tilled up the rough sod over the entire garden area, I ran over the entire garden again to even out the soil and make sure I didn't miss anything. Going over the garden the second time with the rear-tine tiller was fairly easy.

If I had not plowed up the garden first, the rotor-tiller job would have been quite a task, expecially considering the tree debris in the dirt.

I'm debating whether using a front-tine or rear-tine tiller would have been easier. I almost think a front-tine tiller would have faired better when trying to get the tiller to climb up the big clods of soil. We plan to purchase a rototiller. However, after tilling the plowed-up garden, I'm now not sure whether I want to buy a rear-tine or front-tine tiller.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2790.JPG
    IMG_2790.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods
#3,940  
While we were working in the garden, our little girl turned the wood chips pile into a slide. I enjoy having her around while we're working outdoors. She loves to be outside.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,066