At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,951  
Saturday was fix-it day. My wife fixed the lawnmower. I replaced the spark-plug in my chainsaw and it is now running again. I also replaced a bad bolt in the disc I borrowed from my neighbor.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2799.JPG
    IMG_2799.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 201
   / At Home In The Woods #3,952  
Obed said:
Pat,
The garden is about 30' x 40'. We have toyed with the idea of getting a 3PH tiller. However, it's been hard to justify the cost for something I will only use once a year. Plowing the garden and rotortilling it cost me 3 evenings at about 4 hours per evening. While I would love a 3PH tiller, its hard to spend $1100 for a used tiller that will save me 10 hours a year. It is still tempting though.

Obed

Does anyone rent one near you?

/ At Home In The Woods #3,953  
I though you just had that mower in the shop for a new solonoid and or carb repair?

/ At Home In The Woods #3,954  
Saturday was fix-it day. My wife fixed the lawnmower. I replaced the spark-plug in my chainsaw and it is now running again. I also replaced a bad bolt in the disc I borrowed from my neighbor.

Man if i had my own thread and posted all my tasks id never do anything else!!

Just the last few weekends i have rebuilt my stihl chain saw as the decompression valve fell into the cyl, locking it up. Pulled it apart got the metal out and reassembled. Changed oil in my new farm truck. Stripped drain plug so i welded a nut to the plug to have something to turn next time and not have to use vise grips. Cleaned the pressure washer carb as it would not start. Cleaned and then rebuilt the carb on the mower, replaced a spindle, tightend tensioner on it. Replaced my chainsaw spark plug as the old one was the original and 8 yrs old and got smashed by the metal in the cyl (i did open the gap back up to test the saw). Pulled the AC compressor off the saturn after im pretty sure i diagnosed a bad compressor. Then pulled the exhaust manifold off as it had a bad gasket on saturn. Broke a bolt in the head , had to extract that last week end. Replaced the gasket and put all new bolts in it, changed the plug wires as one was arcing. Now waiting on my good used compressor to come before i pull the lines on it loose.

This is just the last few weeks you see where im going with this, once you have a house some stuff and run older stuff it never ends!!

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,955  
Does anyone rent one near you?
RadarTech,
The nearest 3PH rental is an hour away. So it would take 4 hours just transport it back and forth. Plus, you pay for it even if it rains all weekend. We did look into to renting one this year but I'm glad we didn't. Timing the renting of the tiller on a weekend that was dry enough was tough to do. Also, the 3PH tiller would have had problems with the tree debris buried in the garden. Plowing the garden first turned out to be the right thing to do.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,956  
I though you just had that mower in the shop for a new solonoid and or carb repair?
Yes, you are right, and the bill was quite steep. He didn't replace the solenoid but told us it might be bad when we first had problems with the mower after his repair job. I doubt we'll use him again.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,957  
Man if i had my own thread and posted all my tasks id never do anything else!!
Yes, posting stuff does have its challenges.
Just the last few weekends i have rebuilt my stihl chain saw as the decompression valve fell into the cyl, locking it up. Pulled it apart got the metal out and reassembled. Changed oil in my new farm truck. Stripped drain plug so i welded a nut to the plug to have something to turn next time and not have to use vise grips. Cleaned the pressure washer carb as it would not start. Cleaned and then rebuilt the carb on the mower, replaced a spindle, tightend tensioner on it. Replaced my chainsaw spark plug as the old one was the original and 8 yrs old and got smashed by the metal in the cyl (i did open the gap back up to test the saw). Pulled the AC compressor off the saturn after im pretty sure i diagnosed a bad compressor. Then pulled the exhaust manifold off as it had a bad gasket on saturn. Broke a bolt in the head , had to extract that last week end. Replaced the gasket and put all new bolts in it, changed the plug wires as one was arcing. Now waiting on my good used compressor to come before i pull the lines on it loose.

This is just the last few weeks you see where im going with this, once you have a house some stuff and run older stuff it never ends!!
clemsonfor,
You've been busy! But I'm impressed that you can do all that stuff and that you actually do it. If I were to guess, I'd venture that TBNers watch less TV than the average Joe.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,958  
Curious about the wood chips.....are you going to use them for trail maintenance or?? Frank
Frank,
The wood chips are for landscaping. Right now the walkway to our front door is made of wood chips from the pile. We'll put them in places where we don't want to plant grass and don't want mud. My wife would like to put wood chips around bushes next to the house. I'm not so keen on the idea because I'm afraid of attracting termites to the house.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #3,959  
I am of the mind set that i can do anything as long as i have the tools to do it. I have steadily been increasing my tool collection from Harborfreight so that jobs are easier and faster. The more specialty items like clawfoot wrenches stubby wrenches, ratchets, finger ratchets, extentions and extentions and wobble extentions, etc are not used often but when you do need them there a huge time saver and easier. Also having multiple sets of wrenches is a must i have found out. NOt only do you seem to have them scattered but when you have a 1/2" nut on one side and a 1/2" head on the other you need 2 unless you want to use the closest metric which is what 12 or 13mm?

I still watch my fare share of tv, pretty much any tough job related show and any show to do with fishing or logging, as well as the myth shows, dooms day bunkers etc.

As to the wood chips, that one is up in the air. If you have a termite bond with a company i would not worry as much, if your just treated with no gaurentee i would not so much lay a wooden handle tool down for more than a week near the house. Most Pest companies dont like the wood chips but i dont think it voids the warrenty. I use pine straw for the reasons you cite about being worried. They did not say they would not gaurentee me but i did not want to chance it. Id read my fine print though before i did it, most will say like 1ft from foundation or something i think if they say it at all. I hold my applicators license for DOD but dont do termites allthough i have been through the class.

/ At Home In The Woods
#3,960  
clemsonfor, I like the pine straw up close to the house idea.

Obed