At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,231  
After 20 years of marriage, 6 months ago my wife got pregnant. This event has rocked our world. This will be our first child. What a blessing! The wife is due this coming February. The baby sealed the decision to sell the 61 acres. We are building a house and having our first baby at the same time. The wife has been so busy dealing with the house project, she's not had time to get stressed over Junior. However, Junior's arrival makes getting out of the camper a little more pressing.

IMG_3266.JPG

Can you guys believe she is this big?

/ At Home In The Woods #4,232  
What a beautiful daughter you have. Until we had Sarah I never fully understood when parents said "where did time go". Ours is going to be 11 in a month, I now find myself wondering where time has gone. Enjoy every moment you have with her!

/ At Home In The Woods #4,234  
Obed, once they start, they never stop growing. Cherish every moment. Our baby girl is now 43 and has given us two grandgirls and one grandboy to spoil.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,235  
   / At Home In The Woods
#4,236  
I finished installing the shutters that go on the brick.

276872d1344960938-home-woods-img_3259.jpg

Drilling 5/16" holes in the mortar joints was pretty easy using my hammer drill and a masonry bit. I marked where the mortar joints lined up with the shutters and drilled holes through the shutters accordingly. The fasteners are plastic pins that you push by hand into the holes until the pins are snug. Overall, installing the plastic shutters on the brick was pretty easy.

I still need to install the shutters on the dining room windows that are surrounded by stone.

Attachments

• IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3255.JPG
    IMG_3255.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3257.JPG
    IMG_3257.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3258.JPG
    IMG_3258.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 421
   / At Home In The Woods
#4,237  
I have started installing the shutters on the stone. Installing each shutter requires drilling holes for 6 fasteners. I need to drill 24 holes total for the 4 dining room shutters. Unlike the brick, the stone is very uneven so the mortar joints are unevenly placed. Some of the mortar recedes deep into the joints between the stones such that the plastic pins would be too short. Thus, installing the shutter fastener pins in the mortar joints didn't seem to work very well. In consequence, I decided to drill holes directly into the stone.

I quickly wore out my two drill bits on the first hole. My wife went to the nearby True Value store and bought some carbide covered drill bits. I was able to drill three holes with one of those bits. The drill bit would get very hot so I would frequently dip it in some water to cool it off. We saw our tile installer do this when he drilled holes in the tile that he installed inside the house. He said it makes the bits last longer.

Since the new drill bit only lasted for 3 holes, we went to Lowes to see if they had a diamond tipped bit but they didn't have one. We bought from Lowes some more carbide tipped bits that were a different brand than the True Value bits. I'll try the Lowes bits to see if they last any longer that the bits we bought at True Value. If not, I guess I'll just have to burn up a bunch of bits. The bits from Lowes were about $6 per bit. If each bit lasts for 3 holes, I'll need 8 bits for $48 plus tax for 2 windows. That adds up quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_3270.JPG
    IMG_3270.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 138
   / At Home In The Woods #4,238  
Obed.....who said you need more than 2 screws in each shutter...? Have you thought about just screwing threw the shutters wherever the mortar joints are on the stone...and countersink the screws and then fill in with a little paint-able caulk and buy a small amount of paint that matches your shutter color and you are set...that is what I would do. No one will ever know or be able to see it...

You know ....you could just glue the shutters to the stone...check with lowes on the right adhesive....If you ever need to replace them...no problem just scrape them of and replace with new shutters in the same place....I would not buy all those bits..

Last edited: