Page 434 of 580 FirstFirst ... 334384424431432433434435436437444484534 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 5792
    Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Default Re: At Home In The Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    Well Challenges/Question

Watering the garden has been a challenge. Our well has kept up with our normal household needs without any problems, even during this extremely dry period we are having. However, we have found that with 3 water sprinklers running simultaneously, we can only water the garden for about 20 minutes. If we leave the garden water running much longer, water will start trickling from the springlers instead of spraying. Inside the house, the water faucets will either not work or just pour out a minimal flow rate. When we turn off the water to the garden, the water faucets in the house will quickly and often immediately start working like normal.

We are now watering the garden using 3 sprinklers twice a day for 15 or 20 minutes each time. We use a kitchen timer to remind us to turn off the garden water.

This situation caught me by surprise because the well digger told us when he dug the well that we had a very good flow rate. I do not remember the flow rate number he told us. I had thought we could water the garden as much as we wanted but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I am curious what experiences you guys have had regarding using a well to water your garden, grass, animals, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Obed
    My wife has been watering the lawn to try to get the new grass to take. She has been watering with only one sprinkler going at a time. She has found that she can water the lawn all day long as long as she only uses one sprinkler. She just moves the sprinkler around throughout the day to get coverage over the entire lawn.
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

This situation caught me by surprise because the well digger told us when he dug the well that we had a very good flow rate. I do not remember the flow rate number he told us. I had thought we could water the garden as much as we wanted but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Obed, you say " The well digger " told you he dug the well and you had a good flow rate....There is a huge difference between a " Dug" well and a " Drilled " well....The drilled well, which I hope you have taps into the aquifer below the bedrock whereas the dug well relies on surface water and shallow pockets of water, the first to dry up in a drought....Which do you have....? Drilled or Dug...?
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by brin

Obed, you say " The well digger " told you he dug the well and you had a good flow rate....There is a huge difference between a " Dug" well and a " Drilled " well....The drilled well, which I hope you have taps into the aquifer below the bedrock whereas the dug well relies on surface water and shallow pockets of water, the first to dry up in a drought....Which do you have....? Drilled or Dug...?
    It depends on the area. My well is 5' deep and I've never run out of water. I even would fill my 400 gallon sprayer from this well without any issues. Some areas just have good water and lots of it. However, across the road they run out of water because the soil is different.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    It depends on the area. My well is 5' deep and I've never run out of water. I even would fill my 400 gallon sprayer from this well without any issues. Some areas just have good water and lots of it. However, across the road they run out of water because the soil is different.
    Yep, you are right about that Robert...it is the same here in Georgia...but as a rule a drilled well is better than a dug well for a variety of reasons...at least that is what I have been led to believe all these years...but I am no well expert..I sure have had a bunch of them drilled over the years on different properties..

PS - don't forget you may have something close to Artisan...I always have wished every time I had a well drilled that they would hit Artisan...that is a sight to behold..
    Bob

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by brin

Yep, you are right about that Robert...it is the same here in Georgia...but as a rule a drilled well is better than a dug well for a variety of reasons...at least that is what I have been led to believe all these years...but I am no well expert..I sure have had a bunch of them drilled over the years on different properties..

PS - don't forget you may have something close to Artisan...I always have wished every time I had a well drilled that they would hit Artisan...that is a sight to behold..
    My well is spring fed. My side of route 20 is all springs so lack of water is never a problem

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    Do you not worry with surface contamination or runoff into a well that shallow?
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    JD 4310

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor

That was my thought.
    Tororider
    John Deere 4310
    Frontier Finish Mower, Wallenstein Bx62 Chipper, front end pallet forks, KK 5' Rototiller

Check out my homestead blog at www.homesteaddad.com

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor

It has never been an issue, the well is in the basement so the ground filters it well. When tested it came up fine, my house has a system that adds a small amount of bleach to the system as it runs and that is all the health department wanted.

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Our previous house had a 30 ft deep 24 in dia. well. The water was great. The key to preventing a well from getting surface water contamination is to make sure the casing at the surface doesn't leak. Soil does an amazing job of cleaning water. I have read that you can drink water that comes from your septic leach lines once the water has run though only one foot of soil.
    Last edited by Obed; 09-30-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

I have read that you can drink water that comes from your septic leach lines once the water has run though only one foot of water.
    Obed.....I am going to let you try that.....not for me....
    Bob

Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Page 434 of 580 FirstFirst ... 334384424431432433434435436437444484534 ... LastLast