At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,341  
Obed, you say " The well digger " told you he dug the well and you had a good flow rate....There is a huge difference between a " Dug" well and a " Drilled " well....The drilled well, which I hope you have taps into the aquifer below the bedrock whereas the dug well relies on surface water and shallow pockets of water, the first to dry up in a drought....Which do you have....? Drilled or Dug...?
Bob,
Our well is "drilled". It is 300 ft deep. I am pleased that we have discovered that we can water the garden or grass all day as long as we limit the sprinklers to one at a time. Apparently our well can keep up with that flow rate. When using 3 sprinklers simultaneously, it only takes about 30 minutes or less to lose water pressure.
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,342  
We have installed all the top and bottom rails. We attached 1Xs on the sides of each post below the top rail to form a frame onto which we will attach removable screens. My wife pre-drilled the holes and I nailed the 1Xs to the posts. I notched the short post on the deck to form a place for the 2x4 top rail to rest. A 2x8 cap rail will sit on top of the top rail and post. My wife has bought stain and plans to stain the railing this week if weather permits. She has sanded all the posts and all the railing. We are close to finishing our railing and being able to use the deck. I could insert the steel rods and attach the cap rails at any time. However, if at all possible, my wife wants to stain the railing before the rods are in place to make the staining a little easier.

Attachments

• IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3366.JPG
    IMG_3366.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3371.JPG
    IMG_3371.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3372.JPG
    IMG_3372.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3373.JPG
    IMG_3373.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 165
   / At Home In The Woods
#4,343  
Soil does an amazing job of cleaning water. I have read that you can drink water that comes from your septic leach lines once the water has run though only one foot of soil.

Obed.....I am going to let you try that.....not for me....:)
I guess I'm all hot air. I think I'll pass.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,345  
Last night we bought this stainless steel gas grill off of Craigslist for $20. It's in fairly good shape. All the igniters work. One of the 3 burners is starting to rust out but is still useable. A set of 3 new burners costs $13 online. One of the casters does not work. For under $50 we will have a very nice grill when done.

We got our previous grill for free when someone put it out on the street for trash pickup. We replaced the burner for $10 or so bucks and used that grill for 10 years. Our "new" grill is in much better condition than the old one. Unfortunately, the new grill is very heavy so we will need to get the casters working.

IMG_3377.JPG

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,347  
I didn't get all the holes through the top rail drilled exactly perpendicular. So I had to redrill some holes as I put in rods.

Attachments

• IMG_3375.JPG
    IMG_3375.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3378.JPG
    IMG_3378.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3379.JPG
    IMG_3379.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 153
   / At Home In The Woods #4,349  
Last night we bought this stainless steel gas grill off of Craigslist for $20. It's in fairly good shape. All the igniters work. One of the 3 burners is starting to rust out but is still useable. A set of 3 new burners costs $13 online. One of the casters does not work. For under $50 we will have a very nice grill when done.

I guarantee you a steak or pork chop cooked on that grill will taste as good or better than the one cooked on my $600 Weber. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Weber, but a deal like yours is impossible to pass up. You can buy a lot of steaks for the difference in price.:thumbsup:

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,350  
Yes, I'm pleased about the grill find. I didn't even have to shop Craigslist for long. Since we are getting ready to start being able to use the back porch, Saturday evening on a whim I searched for gas grills on CL. This one showed up. Monday morning my wife called the seller and made an appointment for Monday evening. $20 later we were loading it in the pickup truck.