At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods #4,401  
Salt peter? That is an interesting way to get rid of a woody......

Pun intended...... If you don't understand, then you never were in the Military......LOL

RT
When I was employed by a LEO in the 70's, I had heard rumors in regards to salt peter and decided to do some research. I found documented cases where salt peter was indeed used and given to inmates in Tennessee State Prisons.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,402  
ENG18LT,...From your description, I'm not sure how far the transformer will be from your house. You will want that transformer to be as close to your house as possible so you can minimize the length of the expensive 220V lines between the transformer and you house. High voltage primary wire can be smaller than lower voltage lines so you will want the 220V lines to the house be as short as possible...

When we put in power, the power company advised to have the transformer at least 100 feet from the house and further if possible.

Many transformers can hum or buzz, and you want that noise far enough away to not be audible at the house.

We opted for ~150 feet and have never had a problem.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,403  
When we put in power, the power company advised to have the transformer at least 100 feet from the house and further if possible.

Many transformers can hum or buzz, and you want that noise far enough away to not be audible at the house.

We opted for ~150 feet and have never had a problem.
Our transformer is 100 ft from the house, not because of potential buzzing or humming noises. We located the transformer 100 feet from the end of the house so that it would be somewhat out of site when looking at the house. It is common to see transformers sitting in people's front yards but that wasn't our preference.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,404  
The TBN safety inspectors gave me a hard time here when I cleaned my gutters last year.

IMG_2240.JPGIMG_2241.JPG

I recently ordered these ladder levelers Louisville Ladder LP-2300-00 Ladder Leveler for $59.00. They got very good reviews on Amazon. Some of the levellers only extended 8" which probably wouldn't be long be enough for me. The levelers I just ordered extend to 15". The levelers weren't hard to install. I had to drill 8 holes through the ladder and install 8 bolts. The hardest part was trying to drill the holes so that the levelers would not be attached askew.

IMG_3538.JPG

Maybe this year cleaning my gutters will be a little less like a "circus act".

/ At Home In The Woods #4,405  
We don't plan on cutting any of the stuff behind the house other than any trees the excavator contractor damaged. Although it won't be anytime soon, my wife has indicated the desire to clear some of the undergrowth in the natural area in front of the house. It might be nice to get a better view of the house when approaching the house down the driveway. The house is quite obscured when the leaves are on the trees. Right now, the natural area in front of the house has briars, dead stuff, etc. and just looks unkempt. I'd hate to lose the red leaves though.

attachment.php

If you burn that area infront of the house it will clear up a bunch of that undergrowth. Burn the woods every year for a few year then ever other year. It looks surrounded by drive or grass. Id just wait till wind was blowing toward the street and back it into the wind.

Just cause a tree has red leaves this year does not mean they will always be red. Some hickory or maple will vary in reds to yellow, depending upon nature and that specific tree.

As far as stumps and damaging tires. As long as you cut it flush to the ground you wont damage a tire on anything even your car. I have cut plenty of trails in the woods and never removed a stump, trees with stumps up to 8"s or so usually are flat with the ground, its usually the trees starting at 12" stumps and up that are mounded up around them as they press the dirt out n up as they displace it to grow, these will end up with a mound, but i still cut as low as i can without getting in the dirt and drive my trucks right over them, a tractor tire will not be dameged by a flush cut stump ever.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,406  
Obed, The transformer is going to be 320' off the road and 90' from the house off the side of the driveway. I have to dig the trench, buy the conduit and primary cable, install it myself, buy and set the transformer base, and set up the meter pedestal close to the transformer. All of which is not included in the $8k verbal quote from the power company.

Thank you for your response.

Lee

/ At Home In The Woods #4,407  
Obed, The transformer is going to be 320' off the road and 90' from the house off the side of the driveway. I have to dig the trench, buy the conduit and primary cable, install it myself, buy and set the transformer base, and set up the meter pedestal close to the transformer. All of which is not included in the $8k verbal quote from the power company.

Lee

Are you certain that you have to buy the high voltage primary cable? I forked over 13k for a similar deal but they will provide the primary, secondary cable, and transformer pad. Where do they expect you to buy this stuff at?

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,408  
ENG18LT said:

Lee
Lee,

I have to wonder what the justification is for charging you $8K? I would tell them that I am considering building the house right beside the road and ask them how much that would cost? When you find that the price is almost nothing beside the road, I would ask them what the $8K is for if you are paying for all the materials and labor. Something doesn't seem to add up.

Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,409  
The TBN safety inspectors gave me a hard time here when I cleaned my gutters last year.

View attachment 287793View attachment 287794

Maybe this year cleaning my gutters will be a little less like a "circus act".

A ladder stabilizer, if you don't have one, is a good safety item too. Aluminum Stabilizer-AC96 at The Home Depot

If you can get the angle correct, the stabilizer ends will rest on the roof allowing the ladder to bridge the gutter. The ladder will also be much less likely to want to slide left or right.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,410  
clemsonfor said:
If you burn that area infront of the house it will clear up a bunch of that undergrowth. Burn the woods every year for a few year then ever other year. It looks surrounded by drive or grass. Id just wait till wind was blowing toward the street and back it into the wind.
My dad burns the woods on his farm every year or so, or at least he used to. I don't know if he has done it recently. I could probably clear out the junk in the woods in front of our house in a weekend or less with a sling, loppers, chainsaw, and tractor when I feel like doing it. Although I probably wouldn't catch our woods on fire, I don't think I want to chance setting that natural area on fire.

Obed