Page 444 of 580 FirstFirst ... 344394434441442443444445446447454494544 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 5795
    Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Default Re: At Home In The Woods

I needed to remove the backhoe so I've had my eye out for some simple backhoe tasks to accomplish while the backhoe is attached. I probably takes me 45 minutes to remove the box blade and 3 pt. hitch and attach the backhoe. It takes another 30 minutes to remove the backhoe and re-attach the 3 pt. hitch. So I don't swap the backhoe on and off very frequently and like to make good use of it when it is attached.

I didn't like where I've been parking my 5x8 trailer because it is in the way. Thus I removed a stump so I could park the small 5x8 trailer beside the large trailer. The stump has been there a while so the root system was not strong. I pushed around on the stump a bit to see if I could tell where the roots were most firmly entrenched. I was able to just dig on one side of the stump and then push it over and pull it out. I was surprised at the length of the tap root. The tap root was in a section of deep top soil so it was easier to dig out than I expected. If the tap root had been surrounded by red clay, that would have been a different story.

Now I can park the small trailer out of the way in the woods beside the big trailer. It's funny how I can get such satisfaction out of some seemingly small accomplishements. But somehow, removing that stump just improved my quality of life in a noticeable way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3586-jpg   -img_3576-jpg   -img_3577-jpg   -img_3578-jpg   -img_3579-jpg  

-img_3580-jpg   -img_3581-jpg   -img_3594-jpg  
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by dstig1 View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't worry about the septic tank with that little tractor (assuming it is concrete), but you should avoid driving on the drain field to avoid compacting it.
    Dave,
    I hope you are right. With the backhoe attached. the tractor weighs about 5000 lbs. In addition I was carrying a FEL bucket full of dirt to add a few more hundred pounds.
    Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

I had one more small task to perform before I removed the backhoe. I dug up the end of this septic pipe that used to be connected to the camper while we were living in it. This section of the septic pipe no longer works because my wife and the grading contractor accidentally dug up the downstream section of pipe last fall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3588-jpg   -img_3587-jpg   -img_3589-jpg  

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Mower Problem - Sort Of

Yesterday my lawn mower wouldn't start and had me scratching my head. When I cranked it, it immediately acted like is was starting for about 2 seconds but then immediately died. Further cranking failed to have any positive effect. The mower immediately died like something just broke, maybe a safety switch for the seat or parking break or something similar. I was going to pull my log splitter with the lawn mower but gave up and used the tractor instead. Today while riding in the car, I had an idea of something to try. As soon as I got home I tried my idea and the mower started right up. What was my idea?

I put some gas in the tank. Yes, that's all I did. I checked the gas tank and it was bone dry. By some odd coincidence, the tank had had barely enough gas in it to pull the mower into the garage last week. I apparently had emptied the gas tank pulling the mower into the garage. Yesterday it didn't occur to me that the mower could have been out of gas.

What can I say?

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    Mower Problem - Sort Of

Yesterday my lawn mower wouldn't start and had me scratching my head. When I cranked it, it immediately acted like is was starting for about 2 seconds but then immediately died. Further cranking failed to have any positive effect. The mower immediately died like something just broke, maybe a safety switch for the seat or parking break or something similar. I was going to pull my log splitter with the lawn mower but gave up and used the tractor instead. Today while riding in the car, I had an idea of something to try. As soon as I got home I tried my idea and the mower started right up. What was my idea?

I put some gas in the tank. Yes, that's all I did. I checked the gas tank and it was bone dry. By some odd coincidence, the tank had had barely enough gas in it to pull the mower into the garage last week. I apparently had emptied the gas tank pulling the mower into the garage. Yesterday it didn't occur to me that the mower could have been out of gas.

What can I say?
    You aren't the 1st to do that....Funny how they need fuel to run.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Dave,
    I bought a ladder stabilizer last year. Combining the stabilizer with the levelers should make my gutter cleaning about as good as it will get.
    Obed
    I'm glad to hear that, 'cause, you know the TBN Safety Patrol never sleeps
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Dave,
    I hope you are right. With the backhoe attached. the tractor weighs about 5000 lbs. In addition I was carrying a FEL bucket full of dirt to add a few more hundred pounds.
    Obed
    it probably is 5k -- but its spread out over the 4 wide tires. Its not like you are putting 5k of weight in one spot- so I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by Tororider View Post
    Snap a picture of this spout if you could. I don't have any and am wondering what I am "missing out on".
    -img_3566-jpg

To pour out gas, first remove the small red cap. Then, in order to allow gas to come out of the spout, you have to pull the red outer sleeve toward the gas can to open the nozzle and let gas flow out. Part of the problem is there is not a separate air vent on the can so you can't control how much gas surges out of the nozzle after each "gulp" of air enters the can through the nozzle. Desiring to fill my chainsaw's gas tank completely, sometimes a huge surge of gas comes out of the nozzle when I just want a small amount to top off the tank. In addition, both of your hands are now completely monopolized so you are limited in your ability to adjust things as you pour gas into your device.

I'm mostly just whining.

Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

When hauling off the red clay, I forgot about the septic tank and drove over it about 3 times. Yikes! I hope I didn't damage it.

Attachment 288300
    yea wont hurt with that tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_in_Tex View Post
    My wheelbarrow got retired the day I got a FEL.
    yea I would almost never use one if I had a fel!! also I would never go to all that trouble to plant flowers, your a better man than me. I would either put more soil ontop of that and make a mounded dirt or just put them in the clay, its actually can hold plenty of nutrients and grow fine flowers and veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tororider View Post
    Snap a picture of this spout if you could. I don't have any and am wondering what I am "missing out on".
    oh man you better keep the ones you got, there bringing good money on ebay, look it up. The new ones cost $16-20 and are a pain, there are about 3-5 different designs these days.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

I needed to remove the backhoe so I've had my eye out for some simple backhoe tasks to accomplish while the backhoe is attached. I probably takes me 45 minutes to remove the box blade and 3 pt. hitch and attach the backhoe. It takes another 30 minutes to remove the backhoe and re-attach the 3 pt. hitch. So I don't swap the backhoe on and off very frequently and like to make good use of it when it is attached.

I didn't like where I've been parking my 5x8 trailer because it is in the way. Thus I removed a stump so I could park the small 5x8 trailer beside the large trailer. The stump has been there a while so the root system was not strong. I pushed around on the stump a bit to see if I could tell where the roots were most firmly entrenched. I was able to just dig on one side of the stump and then push it over and pull it out. I was surprised at the length of the tap root. The tap root was in a section of deep top soil so it was easier to dig out than I expected. If the tap root had been surrounded by red clay, that would have been a different story.

Now I can park the small trailer out of the way in the woods beside the big trailer. It's funny how I can get such satisfaction out of some seemingly small accomplishements. But somehow, removing that stump just improved my quality of life in a noticeable way.
    would it not just have been easier to cut it flush with the ground and drive over it. I try and do things the fastest and easiest way possible though.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Page 444 of 580 FirstFirst ... 344394434441442443444445446447454494544 ... LastLast