Page 450 of 580 FirstFirst ... 350400440447448449450451452453460500550 ... LastLast
Results 4,491 to 4,500 of 5795
    Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by brin

Obed, All we did with our bell was sand it real good and use mineral spirits to clean it up ...then we used Crylon spray primer and then the rattle can spray Crylon flat black paint...it is the new one that adheres to all surfaces.. Do you have the bracket that goes on your post for your bell to sit on...? I am glad you have that ..other than the sentimental value and enjoyment...if you or any member of your family are out in the woods and are needed back at the house....they will just ring the bell...it can be heard for a long distance...Please keep posting pictures after you instal it...

OK ...I missed the 2nd picture and just saw it....You are good to go...you have the bracket for the post and the bell...I am excited for you...you and the family will really enjoy it...
    Can you post a picture of your bell?
    Obed
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Default Re: At Home In The Woods

I would just wirebrush with a drill and paint it with rustolium, either thinned and sprayed or just brushed, I bet you wont hear a difference.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Light sandblasting would work great and isn't going to affect the sound any. The rust has already converted the surface steel to iron oxide, and it appears to be somewhat pitted too, so it has already lost some amount of metal over the decades. If you can get it sandblasted and primed quickly, that should stop and rust from reforming for a long time. Unless you go to some massive thick pain coating, I can't imagine it would affect anything.

But rather than my guesses, how about doing a search on restoring old iron bells and see what you find?
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I would paint it with the "Hammered" paint. I have done some outside lights with it and the hammered look is really sharp looking.

Chris

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

I would paint it with the "Hammered" paint. I have done some outside lights with it and the hammered look is really sharp looking.

Chris

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

The bell has stamped on it "C.S. Bell Co. Hillsboro. O." "No. 2 Yoke 1886". The bell is 16 1/2" in diameter. The history of the bell company is described at this link www.prindlestation.com. The hook at the top end of the clapper has rusted off so that will need to be fixed.

I suspect we will get the bell sandblasted and then paint it black. We definitely will paint the outside of the bell. I'm leaning toward painting the underside of the bell but am not completely decided at this point. My wife thinks painting the bell won't affect the sound. I would like some confirmation of that point.
    Last edited by Obed; 12-01-2012 at 02:03 PM.

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Ford 1600

Obed,

Unless you put on SEVERAL coats of paint to dampen the harmonics, 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint will not noticeably change the sound of your bell. Repair the broken piece, get it sand blasted, then primer and paint. I have a bell similar to yours that we painted a few years ago and it sounds the same as before I painted it.

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

We visited my dad's farm and took our little girl out to see the cows. The bull came up to say hi.

-img_3626-small-jpg-img_3637-small-jpg-img_3639-small-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3633-small-jpg  

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by Dishpointer View Post
    Obed,

Unless you put on SEVERAL coats of paint to dampen the harmonics, 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint will not noticeably change the sound of your bell. Repair the broken piece, get it sand blasted, then primer and paint. I have a bell similar to yours that we painted a few years ago and it sounds the same as before I painted it.
    Dishpointer,
    Did you paint the underside of the bell in addition to the outside?
    Obed

At Home In the Woods

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    Can you post a picture of your bell?
    Obed
    Here is a picture I have already on the computer...not real good ...when my camera batteries recharge I'll take a better one...but this will give you an Idea....By the way, I have used the hammered paint some here are referring to...it really is nice...gives a great effect...black hammered would look great and paint has never effected our bell's sound at all...If you notice...your bell is much bigger than ours and mounts to the post in a different way, you should really get some loud gongs out of that bell !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Page 450 of 580 FirstFirst ... 350400440447448449450451452453460500550 ... LastLast