At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,491  
brin said:
Obed, All we did with our bell was sand it real good and use mineral spirits to clean it up ...then we used Crylon spray primer and then the rattle can spray Crylon flat black paint...it is the new one that adheres to all surfaces.. Do you have the bracket that goes on your post for your bell to sit on...? I am glad you have that ..other than the sentimental value and enjoyment...if you or any member of your family are out in the woods and are needed back at the house....they will just ring the bell...it can be heard for a long distance...Please keep posting pictures after you instal it...:thumbsup:

OK ...I missed the 2nd picture and just saw it....You are good to go...you have the bracket for the post and the bell...I am excited for you...you and the family will really enjoy it...
Can you post a picture of your bell?
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,492  
I would just wirebrush with a drill and paint it with rustolium, either thinned and sprayed or just brushed, I bet you wont hear a difference.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,493  
Light sandblasting would work great and isn't going to affect the sound any. The rust has already converted the surface steel to iron oxide, and it appears to be somewhat pitted too, so it has already lost some amount of metal over the decades. If you can get it sandblasted and primed quickly, that should stop and rust from reforming for a long time. Unless you go to some massive thick pain coating, I can't imagine it would affect anything.

But rather than my guesses, how about doing a search on restoring old iron bells and see what you find?

/ At Home In The Woods #4,494  
I would paint it with the "Hammered" paint. I have done some outside lights with it and the hammered look is really sharp looking.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods #4,495  
I would paint it with the "Hammered" paint. I have done some outside lights with it and the hammered look is really sharp looking.

Chris

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,496  
The bell has stamped on it "C.S. Bell Co. Hillsboro. O." "No. 2 Yoke 1886". The bell is 16 1/2" in diameter. The history of the bell company is described at this link www.prindlestation.com. The hook at the top end of the clapper has rusted off so that will need to be fixed.

I suspect we will get the bell sandblasted and then paint it black. We definitely will paint the outside of the bell. I'm leaning toward painting the underside of the bell but am not completely decided at this point. My wife thinks painting the bell won't affect the sound. I would like some confirmation of that point.

Last edited:
   / At Home In The Woods #4,497  
Obed,

Unless you put on SEVERAL coats of paint to dampen the harmonics, 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint will not noticeably change the sound of your bell. Repair the broken piece, get it sand blasted, then primer and paint. I have a bell similar to yours that we painted a few years ago and it sounds the same as before I painted it.

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,498  
We visited my dad's farm and took our little girl out to see the cows. The bull came up to say hi.

290937d1354374876-home-woods-img_3633-small-.jpg

IMG_3626 (Small).JPGIMG_3637 (Small).JPGIMG_3639 (Small).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3633 (Small).JPG
    IMG_3633 (Small).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 398
   / At Home In The Woods
#4,499  
Obed,

Unless you put on SEVERAL coats of paint to dampen the harmonics, 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint will not noticeably change the sound of your bell. Repair the broken piece, get it sand blasted, then primer and paint. I have a bell similar to yours that we painted a few years ago and it sounds the same as before I painted it.
Dishpointer,
Did you paint the underside of the bell in addition to the outside?
Obed

/ At Home In The Woods #4,500  
Can you post a picture of your bell?
Obed

Here is a picture I have already on the computer...not real good ...when my camera batteries recharge I'll take a better one...but this will give you an Idea....By the way, I have used the hammered paint some here are referring to...it really is nice...gives a great effect...black hammered would look great and paint has never effected our bell's sound at all...If you notice...your bell is much bigger than ours and mounts to the post in a different way, you should really get some loud gongs out of that bell !

Attachments

• Our Bell.jpg
    Our Bell.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 357