Page 459 of 580 FirstFirst ... 359409449456457458459460461462469509559 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 5792
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Default Re: At Home In The Woods

I forgot to mention. I bought s SootEater rotary flue cleaning system last summer which will allow me to clean the flue from the basement using a cordless drill. I read some very positive reviews on it, but have not used it yet:

Buy.com - Sooteater Rotary Chimney Cleaning Syste

My flue cap is a Windbeater type which uses no screen. I really think screens are just to keep critters out, not sparks. Even when the screen on the Quonset flue was in I could see that chunks of slag/creosote had fallen out onto the roof. Like Dave said the screen clogs quick, so I jut removed it. If I had a cedar shake roof I might think twice, but with steel I don't think a screen gains any safety except for the purple martins & bats.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Gravely mower

I would like opinions on the so called "creosote logs" that are supposed to clean your flue by just burning one every so often where the build up flakes off and falls down to the fire pit. Do they work and worth buying?

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

The most sensible chimney cleaning I've seen was in Germany. Tall homes/chimneys are common there. They have a built-in, removable masonry access block in the chimney that is accessed from the attic. They use a brush on a flexible springy shaft that they run up and down from that access block. No need to get on the roof. The roofing on older homes was often natural slate and quite steep, so arriving at this method of chimney cleaning would make a lot of sense.

I can't find a pic, but the access block was wedge shaped such that it sits down in groove and is held in place by gravity.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    I forgot to mention. I bought s SootEater rotary flue cleaning system last summer which will allow me to clean the flue from the basement using a cordless drill. I read some very positive reviews on it, but have not used it yet:

Rick,
    Let us know how well that thing works. Do you plan on using it from inside the house?
    Obed
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    The most sensible chimney cleaning I've seen was in Germany. Tall homes/chimneys are common there. They have a built-in, removable masonry access block in the chimney that is accessed from the attic. They use a brush on a flexible springy shaft that they run up and down from that access block. No need to get on the roof. The roofing on older homes was often natural slate and quite steep, so arriving at this method of chimney cleaning would make a lot of sense.

I can't find a pic, but the access block was wedge shaped such that it sits down in groove and is held in place by gravity.
    Dave,
    I couldn't help thinking about my house when ready the above description of the Germany chimney designs. My chimney flue is accessible from the attic. It would sure be nice not to have to climb on top of the chimney.
    Obed
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

My concern with a system like this, and locking flues is that if it caught somehow, it would twist the locking mechanism apart. Had this happen to me with a pole system. Felt like a dope when I thought "srub up and down and twist" Twist unlocked a section in the attic. Ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post

My flue cap is a Windbeater type which uses no screen. I really think screens are just to keep critters out, not sparks. Even when the screen on the Quonset flue was in I could see that chunks of slag/creosote had fallen out onto the roof. Like Dave said the screen clogs quick, so I jut removed it. If I had a cedar shake roof I might think twice, but with steel I don't think a screen gains any safety except for the purple martins & bats.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    Dave,
    I couldn't help thinking about my house when ready the above description of the Germany chimney designs. My chimney flue is accessible from the attic. It would sure be nice not to have to climb on top of the chimney.
    Obed
    I don't know if there is anything available that would work for you, be worth keeping an eye out for something. I suppose there could be a special SS tee fitting that you could insert into the existing flue pipe that would give you access. It would need to be fire-safe above all else. Wouldn't help with the clogging in the chimney cap screen, but that could be remedied.

The chimneys in Germany were all masonry types. The access block was about 4" thick and made a pretty decent seal when set in place. It's own weight pulls it down into the wedged opening, it cannot be pulled straight out, has to be lifted and tilted.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSDC

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    My chimney flue is accessible from the attic. It would sure be nice not to have to climb on top of the chimney.
    Obed
    Obed, would something like this work? See the attached link (hopefully). Stanley

Metalbest 6T-IT Sure-Temp 6" Class A Chimney Pipe Insulated Tee with Cap
    Stanley----Kubota B3030 HSDC

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Gravely mower

I have a double flue chimney - one side for coal stoker the other side for NG furnace. It is constructed of red brick with a clay flue insert. Each side has outside clean out doors. I have toyed with the idea of seeing if the fiberglass rods would bend enough to push the brush up from the bottom to avoid standing on the roof and working from the top down. I wouldn't have a lot of soot like wood burners produce. Any thoughts?

PAGUY

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Obed, your solution is obvious. You should start hinting now for a man-lift under the Christmas tree. Just think of all the tree trimmin' and other high jobs around the house. No more worry about the gutter cleaning. Just a nice ride on the man-lift and it's done.
    Jim

Page 459 of 580 FirstFirst ... 359409449456457458459460461462469509559 ... LastLast