Page 473 of 562 FirstFirst ... 373423463470471472473474475476483523 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,730 of 5612
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: At Home In The Woods

Dirty logs will do it every time. Not that I have, but I have thought it would probably be worth it to keep a whisk broom handy to brush off the dirt before cutting. Gloves leave a lot in the bark crevices.

I do save my dirty cuts for last as much as possible. If logs are laying on dirt, I will make the cuts on the clean sides all along the logs, then roll them over and finish the bottom cuts. That way, 90% of your cutting is done with a sharp chain. Sometimes, you just have to stop and sharpen, it will extend the life of everything, as mentioned.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Dirty logs will do it every time. Not that I have, but I have thought it would probably be worth it to keep a whisk broom handy to brush off the dirt before cutting. Gloves leave a lot in the bark crevices.
    My dirt/clay mix is tough. I carry a wire brush to clean logs. Even then, I try to cut only to the bark and let the bucked end fall off of it's own weight without going into the dirt encrusted heavy oak bark. I still touch up my saw at every tank full of fuel and it seems to take less time each time I do it. I get a lot of cuts with a full tank and a sharp chain, even in my oak.
    Jim

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    My dirt/clay mix is tough. I carry a wire brush to clean logs. Even then, I try to cut only to the bark and let the bucked end fall off of it's own weight without going into the dirt encrusted heavy oak bark. I still touch up my saw at every tank full of fuel and it seems to take less time each time I do it. I get a lot of cuts with a full tank and a sharp chain, even in my oak.
    Jim

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

A wire brush would be handy. Some of the logs in our pile are very dirty. A wisk broom would have trouble cleaning the wet dirt off the part of the logs that are on the ground.

Obed
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

For real dirty logs I always pressure wash them before milling. For my firewood logs I try not to drag them through the dirt behind the tractor and only use the FEL, but sometimes you just have to do it that way.
    Taking the time to swipe the cutters every tank of fuel makes a huge difference when cutting dirty wood.

Obed if your going to cut this much wood every year I'd like to spend some more of your $:

Northern Industrial Bench- or Wall-Mount Chain Grinder | Chain Saw Sharpeners, Maintenance Repair| Northern Tool + Equipment

The wheels are kinda cheap/soft so I replaced them with Oregon wheels but the one's that come with it will last you quite some time.

Then a stump vise for sharpening in the field:
    Northern Industrial Stump Vise for Sharpening Chain | Chain Saw Sharpeners, Maintenance Repair| Northern Tool + Equipment

Anything else I can help you with?
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    For real dirty logs I always pressure wash them before milling. For my firewood logs I try not to drag them through the dirt behind the tractor and only use the FEL, but sometimes you just have to do it that way.
    Taking the time to swipe the cutters every tank of fuel makes a huge difference when cutting dirty wood.

Obed if your going to cut this much wood every year I'd like to spend some more of your $:

Northern Industrial Bench- or Wall-Mount Chain Grinder | Chain Saw Sharpeners, Maintenance Repair| Northern Tool + Equipment

The wheels are kinda cheap/soft so I replaced them with Oregon wheels but the one's that come with it will last you quite some time.

Northern Industrial Stump Vise for Sharpening Chain | Chain Saw Sharpeners, Maintenance Repair| Northern Tool + Equipment

M7,
    Yes, I have my eye on that chain sharpener. I'm not in a hurry though. I'll first see how well hand sharpening and occasional professional sharpenings go. I definitely need a vice for sharpening onsite.

My next big purchase is going to have to be a lawnmower. I think the hydrostatic transmission is going out on my old kubota mower.

Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post

M7,
    Yes, I have my eye on that chain sharpener. I'm not in a hurry though. I'll first see how well hand sharpening and occasional professional sharpenings go. I definitely need a vice for sharpening onsite.

My next big purchase is going to have to be a lawnmower. I think the hydrostatic transmission is going out on my old kubota mower.

Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

I started working on splitting wood that we bucked up last week. The plastic pipe in the middle of the round stack is supposed to help get air moving in the middle of the stack. Supposedly it acts like a chimney to move warm air up through the middle as the pile dries.

At Home In The Woods-img_0223.jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0224.jpg

Today I started using the splitter in vertical mode when I got to some big log pieces. I took ClemsonFor's suggestion and made myself a seat to sit on while splitting. ClemsonFor suggested a bucket; I made a seat out of a log. Wow! I have to say that sitting on my behind while splitting wood was great. My back loved me for it. My back gets tired when bending over the splitter in horizontal mode. I like sitting on my behind! While sitting one the log seat, I just tossed split pieces onto the pile. After thowing a bunch of logs on the pile, I would turn off the splitter and stack the logs. Then I would split some more.

At Home In The Woods-img_0230.jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0226.jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0228.jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0229.jpg

I'm liking the round stack. It's quite handy to be able to throw the odd shaped or short pieces in the middle. It's also nice to not need to stack over half the pieces. I have just under 2 cords in the round stack so far.

At Home In The Woods-img_0231.jpg At Home In The Woods-img_0232.jpg
    Last edited by Obed; 02-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Have you thought about just getting a mower for the JD? One less engine to maintain...

Looks like you are getting nicely ahead on your wood cutting now!
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

That's a right smart wood pile ya got going...I like!
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Page 473 of 562 FirstFirst ... 373423463470471472473474475476483523 ... LastLast